On 4/09/2019 10:26 am, Roger Clarke wrote:

I imagine that when a Shangainese, a Beijinger and a Shenzenee walk into a pub,
they look askance at one another from time to time, whether they're talking in
their own versions of Putonghua *or* of English.

When living in Hong Kong I had occasion to ask the woman who looked after our
apartment to pass a message to another Chinese person, but it seems she was
Shangainese and the other person was from a northern province; conversing was
then so difficult they compromised with less than perfect English.  On the
other hand, I understand a Japanese can understand a good half of a Chinese
newspaper.

David L.