I'm back for my monthly efforts to get SIGNAL SHUTDOWN support in a
SLES8 image working under VM. In the month since I last beat my head
against this particular wall, I've made sure this image has the latest
and greatest patches on it. It's at SP 3 and some other fixes released
by SuSE, 2.4.21-107-default, according to uname -r.

Is there any sort of verification tool for /etc/inittab to rule out any
manner of stupid typos, bad assumptions, and other faults?

What kinds of log messages does one see when a SIGNAL SHUTDOWN is
correctly caught? I see single lines in /var/log/messages and
/var/log/warn that

(date) (time) (systemname) "kernel: CAD: Sending SIGNINT to PID 1..."

I can't tell if I should expect more than that or if that itself is a
warning.

I know I've asked about this before on this list, and several of you
have repeated the syntax for /etc/inittab, typically:

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -h now

Given that I seem to have that right and seem to be at a current-enough (too current?) level of SLES 8, what else do I look for?

Thanks,
Nick