Hall, Ken (GTS) wrote:
We're on Red Hat, so same question applies to that distro, if anyone
knows.

Kinda sorta.  We'll be going down the FUSE route.  It's being targeted
for our next updated, RHEL 5.4.  This work is being done via Red Hat
BugZilla 252372

Not familiar with FUSE?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fuse/

The description:
FUSE is particularly useful for writing virtual file systems
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_file_system>. Unlike traditional
filesystems, which essentially save data to and retrieve data from
disk, virtual filesystems do not actually store data themselves. They
act as a view or translation of an existing filesystem or storage
device. In principle, any resource available to FUSE implementation
can be exported as a file system.

The best part:  It's 100% upstream in the Linux kernel.

--
Shawn Wells
Global System z Platform & Alliances Manager