That's my understanding of the reason for the /dev/root being missing; there's
no root= in the kernel parms.

Again, I have the ISO loop-mounted so I can IPL from it in Hercules, and I can
find the install.img file, and the generic.ins file  points to the install.img
file and....I don't know what more I have to specify in the kernel parms for it
to find that copy, but I'll experiment with that again.

So, I used your kernel parms, and it booted much like it has been; the lines
that are different in my install log are trivial...

    setup: Linux is running natively in 64-bit mode
    cpu: The CPU configuration topology of the machines is: 0 0 0 0 1
8 / 2

My memory setting is 1/4th of yours.
The Kernel command line shows as

       Kernel command line: root=live:http://download.sinenomine.net/cle
fos/7/images/install.img
       ramdisk_siz

And that's it for the kernel command; for some reason Hercules doesn't always
dump output lines correctly, like, the message about "static device nodes"
sometimes comes out as "sta...ce nodes". Don't know what that’s about, but it
continues right along, regardless.

And the rest of your log and mine match, down to that kernel command.

Thanks for the info. I'm still thinking about how I'm going to install it in an
LPAR; I'm going to have to burn a DVD to get this ISO to my HMC, which is ok, I
just need to make it work here first. B-/

R;

Rob Hamilton
Infrastructure Engineer
Chemical Abstracts Service

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message transmission, including any
attachment(s), may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information
from CAS, a division of the American Chemical Society ("ACS"). If you have
received this transmission in error, be advised that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited. Please destroy all copies of the message and contact the sender
immediately by either replying to this message or calling 614-447-3600.

http://wiki.linuxvm.org/