Linux-Hardware Digest #547, Volume #14           Fri, 30 Mar 01 10:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  Re: Highpoint Technology Inc HPT366 Ultra DMA 66 Controller (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: Looking for Phoneline networking help (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E9d=E9rique?= Vernhes)
  Re: Recommend modem for Linux and Win2000? (Christian Garms)
  uname -m (Valera Veryazov)
  P4 & LINUX, Any Problem? ("news.ulak.net.tr")
  reconstructing RAID5 under raidtools 0.90 (Dave DeHaan)
  Re: BogoMips? (Eric SIBERT)
  flashing white screen with ATI RAGE PRO LT (jaspal kallar)
  Re: Kernel too big (Tomaz Cedilnik)
  Re: Acer CD-R/RW CRW6206A won't write under RedHat7.0 with 2.4.2 kernel ("Arvind")
  Re: BogoMips? (Rinaldi J. Montessi)
  Re: Trio 3D/2x (Toby Haynes)
  Re: Fun With Parallel Ports. ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: IBM Token Ring card (Norman Levin)
  Re: Fun With Parallel Ports. ("Alexander Nosenko")
  Re: Fun With Parallel Ports. (mlw)
  Re: Acer CD-R/RW CRW6206A won't write under RedHat7.0 with 2.4.2 kernel
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ATI Radeon graphics cards (Perry Pip)
  Re: VIA AC97 audio (VT82C686 super south) and 2.4.2 kernel.. (Peter Christy)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:34:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams) wrote:

> Hot plugging anythign is risky.

Well, not literally anything.  USB is *designed* for hot-plugging
(although IMO USB is to be avoided for other reasons; YMMV), and
(as someone else stated) monitors have an excellent track record
with hot-plugging, assuming that the monitor you plug in can
handle the signal the video card is dishing out.  Speakers can
be hot-plugged if you're careful, although if you bump the wrong
part of the jack against the wrong part of the socket you'll get
a brief unpleasant noise.   A phone line can be (un)plugged
whenever it's not in use.  I've never had any trouble with
hot-plugging a parallel cable attached to a printer, either,
as long as the printer isn't in use at the time.  (A parallel
cable used for something else, like an Iomega drive, is
another matter.)

I used to think RJ45 Ethernet cords were hot-pluggable, but
I've found that sometimes a reboot is required to get the
connection working again (at least in Windoze; I haven't
tried this with Linux, since there is no Linux at work
(which is where the LAN is) unfortunately).

> PS/2 devices and their controllers get confused.

They can.  Sometimes they don't, but they *can*.
So yeah, it's risky.  Especially risky if you can't
afford to have the device stop working.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:34:18 GMT

"Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   I mean that I yank out ps/2 keyboard/mice all of the time, and switch them
> around.  I used to think that it would cause a problem, but about 6 years
> ago, I watched a friend do it, and asked him about it.  He said that he
> never had a problem.  Now, I've been doing it for six years, and I've never
> had a problem, either.   if I've just been lucky, I hope it keeps up. : )

Whether it works fine or causes trouble is dependent on the specific
hardware you have (and possibly other factors as well).  I've had
better success with mice than with keyboards, but I've had it work
with a keyboard without trouble on more than one occasion.

Also, some BIOSes will either pitch a fit or cause subtle problems
if there's not a keyboard plugged in at boot time; unplugging
subsequent to boot time and plugging back in later is less likely
to cause trouble, but it still *can* cause trouble (depending on
the hardware, the humidity and atmospheric pressure, the level
of ambient light in the room, the phase of the moon, regional
political events, and residual electromagnetic interference
from passing satelites and radio and television signals).  The
trouble caused in my experience is limited to a ceasage in the
functionality of that input device until the next reboot,
although another poster says he's had worse happen (q.v.).

You might want to sync your filesystems before unplugging
anything, just in case.  Especially the first few times you
try it on any given system.

- jonadab

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Highpoint Technology Inc HPT366 Ultra DMA 66 Controller
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:05:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nader) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>If the kernel doesn't support HPT366 (e.g., 2.2.x), then you'll have to
>pass ide parameters to the kernel during installation.  See this web site

Fortunately, Mandrake 7.2 has a patched kernel, so he should be fine out-
of-the-box :)

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E9d=E9rique?= Vernhes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for Phoneline networking help
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 01:09:14 -0800

Thanks for the info - I have had to correct my decision on using the Linksys bridge,
as it only handles 1Mbps phoneline network. Instead, I will go with the netgear
bridge. I have also decided to get a router/firewall so that all my boxes are behind
a separate firewall + I hope to be able to add some wireless laptops in the end.

Frederique.

------------------------------

From: Christian Garms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommend modem for Linux and Win2000?
Date: 30 Mar 2001 10:51:24 +0200

"Garry Heaton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Can anyone recommend a good modem which will work on Linux (Mandrake 7.2)
> AND Windows 2000?

any non-USB external modem will run ...

Or did anyone seen a not-Hayes compatible one?

--
regards,
        Christian               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Valera Veryazov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: uname -m
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:11:49 +0200

Hi,

I couldn't find a complete list of available replies for 'uname -m'
for Linux on different platforms. Are any standards?

Thanks a lot,
   Valera.

------------------------------

From: "news.ulak.net.tr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: P4 & LINUX, Any Problem?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:15:44 +0300

Has anybody used P4 for LINUX?
Is there any problem? Or shall I buy one?
Any comments appreciated...

Thanks,

Yavuz Darendelioglu

------------------------------

From: Dave DeHaan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: reconstructing RAID5 under raidtools 0.90
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:03:52 -0600

I currently have an Adaptec AIC-7871 SCSI controller with 3 Conner
CFP1060E 1.0GB drives.  During RedHat 6.2 installation I configured each
drive with a single Linux raid autodetect partition, and then combined
them into a single RAID5 volume (raidtools 0.90).  This configuration
worked fine until I had to pull out one of the drives (/dev/sdf).  The
system still functions with only two drives, but when I add a new third
drive to the RAID5 array, it won't take.  Actually, it appears to work
until I reboot the machine.  Then the new drive (/dev/sdf) is rejected.
I've tried two approaches:

Approach 1:
1. use fdisk to create a Linux raid autodetect partition on /dev/sdf
2. use "raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/sdf" to add the drive to the raid
device
3. cat /proc/mdstat.  It shows a working 3 drive RAID5 array.
4. reboot.  I get the following error on boot, causing the RAID array to
only load 2 of 3 drives:
SCSI device sdf: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 2074880 [1013 MB] [1.0
GB]
 sdf: unknown partition table
When I use fdisk to examine the drive, it notifies me that /dev/sdf does
not contain a partition table.

Approach 2:
1. use "raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/sdf" to add the drive to the raid
device
2. cat /proc/mdstat.  It shows a working 3 drive RAID5 array.
3. raidstop /dev/md0
4. fdisk /dev/sdf - After it warns me that /dev/sdf does not contain a
partition table, I create a DOS partition table and then create a Linux
raid autodetect partition
5. reboot.  I get the following error on boot, causing the RAID array to
only load 2 of 3 drives:
raid5 personality registered
autodetecting RAID arrays
(read) sdd1's sb offset: 1036160 [events: 00000095]
(read) sde1's sb offset: 1036160 [events: 00000095]
(read) sdf1's sb offset: 1037184 [events: 00000000]
md: invalid raid superblock magic on sdf1
md: sdf1 has invalid sb, not importing!

I'd appreciate any nuggets of wisdom you can pass my way.  Thanks.
David DeHaan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dordt College Computer Services

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:31:39 +0200
From: Eric SIBERT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BogoMips?

So, how many bogomips for your computer?

750 Mhz for me:)))

--
Eric SIBERT
http://www.multimania.com/esibert

------------------------------

From: jaspal kallar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: flashing white screen with ATI RAGE PRO LT
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:26:29 +0200

Hi,

Has anybody had a problem with ATI 3D RAGE PRO LT video card with
occassional flashing white screen brought on when changing virtual
console
i.e CTRL-ALT-F1. My screen PRINCETON DPP560.

Also since this flashing screen (BTW, I have to re-boot the PC to cure
the flashing)
I get sometimes no kernal messages when linux boots i.e a blank screen
and then
I get the (Suse 7.0 professional) KDM manager. Sometimes even this
sometimes appears but the picture is dim.

Another thing even when I boot into Windows 95 I get a similar problem
now
with sometimes the screen being blank during startup.

So, any ideas on
1) the flashing ´screen?
2) if the video card or the monitor (screen) is at fault?

Thnaks,

Jaspal

------------------------------

From: Tomaz Cedilnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel too big
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:43:33 +0200

James Barwick wrote:

> MODULES MAN, MODULES!!!  I simple rule of thumb I live by...Don't
> compile drivers into the kernel unless you have to!

Is there any difference in efficiency between a compiled-in driver and a
module driver?

I personally prefer to compile in all drivers that I need unless I need
a bit more dynamic driver set.

If you set up eg. a SB driver (something that needs more options) as a
module, do you specify the port and other info at compile time?

Tom

------------------------------

From: "Arvind" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Acer CD-R/RW CRW6206A won't write under RedHat7.0 with 2.4.2 kernel
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:40:09 -0800

Hi,
I have a cdwriter but i can't use it with cdrecord since it is an atapi
drive. how do you use scsi emulation? thanks
Arvind

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rinaldi J. Montessi)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:18:59 GMT

Genesis wrote:

> Hey,
>     Could some one explain what BogoMips is and where I can get it?
>
> Thanks,
>       Genesis

Errr.  You've already got it.  visit http://www.google.com

Rinaldi
--
We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
--Linus Torvalds

------------------------------

From: Toby Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trio 3D/2x
Date: 30 Mar 2001 08:13:53 -0500

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello ,
> which XServer I need to install to
> have correct work with S3 Trio3D/2x AGP video
> card???

You should be fine with either XFree86 3.3.6 or 4.0.2 - personally I would
choose the latter. I have an S3 Trio 3D AGP card running under 4.0.2 without
any problems, although it does take a while to initialise the card and bring up
the screen (about 60 seconds) so don't panic if nothing appears instantly.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Fun With Parallel Ports.
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:18:18 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> I'm currently building a light show machine to hook to a parallel port. The
> idea is the ol' cable/transistors/relays type device to be controlled by
> poking a byte into the port's memory address. (using C, of course!)
>
> I have an old add-a-parallel-port card which I pulled out. I put it in the
> computer to use it as my light show card, as it can add two parallel ports.
> (imagine 16 relays chattering like mad!)
>
> Now, for the fun part. The lame BIOS sets the card as LPT1 and the original as
> LPT2. That last port is disabled. I tried setting it in the BIOS to make the
> original LPT1and have the ISA card with the parallel ports (the "light show
> card") as LPT2.
>
> I would like the computer's original parallel port be LPT1 so the light show
> relays can be attached to an ISA card instead of the mainboard in case a
> disaster happens.

Just use some op-amps to isolate the parallel port from the relays.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:56:01 -0600
From: Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Token Ring card

See bottom:

Mike Phillips wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, mie wrote:
>
> > ISA'...it work!!!!Since the 'Auto' card is not mine, I had to return it to
> > him & configure my 'Turbo' card. Any manual configuration at my 'Turbo' card
> > & what is the command to configure the card???????
>
> You'll need to put the card in Auto compatibility mode with lanaid.
> The command is lanaidc /fast=auto16
>
> Mike
> Linux Token Ring Project
> http://www.linuxtr.net

... appended note ...

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:57:33 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [linux-tr] NEW IBMTR/IBMTR_CS DRIVERS FOR 2.4.2

All,

Available from the web site is a patch for the new and improved ibmtr.[ch]
and ibmtr_cs.c drivers.

Ibmtr.c now implements the ability to work with turbo cards, so no more
lanaid.

Ibmtr_cs.c now has all the changes that were made to the 2.2.x driver. So
no more config.opts hackery is required.

Please download, apply and test out the drivers.

Big thanks to all involved in producing these drivers.

Mike

--
Norman Levin

"In 1555, Nostradamus wrote: 'Come the millennium, month 12, in the home of
greatest power, the village idiot will come forth to be acclaimed the
leader.'"

------------------------------

From: "Alexander Nosenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:07:55 +0400

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I would like the computer's original parallel port be LPT1 so the light
show
> > relays can be attached to an ISA card instead of the mainboard in case a
> > disaster happens.
>
> Just use some op-amps to isolate the parallel port from the relays.

Or, even better, optotransistors. Melted op-amps are just as good conductors
as fried resistors on ISA card...
The best solution is to use some ready-made digital IO add-on card - they
are costly, through.

Regards,
Alexander Nosenko
<nae at cr dot cyco dot com>

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:15:27 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> I'm currently building a light show machine to hook to a parallel port. The
> idea is the ol' cable/transistors/relays type device to be controlled by
> poking a byte into the port's memory address. (using C, of course!)
>
> I have an old add-a-parallel-port card which I pulled out. I put it in the
> computer to use it as my light show card, as it can add two parallel ports.
> (imagine 16 relays chattering like mad!)
>
> Now, for the fun part. The lame BIOS sets the card as LPT1 and the original as
> LPT2. That last port is disabled. I tried setting it in the BIOS to make the
> original LPT1and have the ISA card with the parallel ports (the "light show
> card") as LPT2.
>
> I would like the computer's original parallel port be LPT1 so the light show
> relays can be attached to an ISA card instead of the mainboard in case a
> disaster happens.
>
> An alternative is to set the printer driver to use the computer's original
> port instead of the ISA card port, leaving it open to mess with. Which file
> would I have to edit so as to switch the printer to the LPT2 port?
>
> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

            5~12V         5~12V

             |             |
             -   (relay)   |
          D2 ^    _____    |
         ____|____^^^^^____|
  R1  |/     |             |
--VVV-| T1   _             _+
      |\     ^ D1          _ C2
        |    |             |
        |    |             |
        V    V             V

Make sure you have a good save output stage, or you'll fry your paralell port.

T1:     2n2222, NPN
D1,D2:  pretty fast diode.
R1:     Resistor, ~10K
C2:     Electrolytic capacitor to help reduce noise.

D1 and D2 protect the transistor from the current spike generated by the back
emf in the relay's coil when you shut off the relay.
--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
========================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 30 Mar 2001 09:15:50 -0500

Arvind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a cdwriter but i can't use it with cdrecord since it is an atapi
> drive. how do you use scsi emulation? thanks

See the HOWTO: CD-Writing-HOWTO

Basically, well the way I have done it, but it can be done with
modules instead of putting it in the kernel,

I recompiled the kernel:

REMOVING support for IDE cdroms
Adding ide-scsi emulation
Adding the generic cd-scsi driver (with extensions)
Adding support for SCSI CDROM drives.

This keeps the cd drives from showing up as IDE (if they did,
they would appear as IDE even with the IDE-SCSI emulation)
but instead as SCSI (to play CDs in my drives, even just
the CDROM, not writer, I had to change the links in /dev
to point to SCSI devices. I changed the /dev/cdrom to point
to scd0 and created a symbolic link /dev/cdrw pointing
to scd1 - yours may be different depending on which is master
and which is slave).

Now both my CD drives (CDROM and CDRW) appear as scsi devices.

Using

cdrecord -scanbus

checks them and shows that it can access both drives
(well, I can't record on the CDROM but it's there [grin]).

So ... you need to block the CDRW drive from coming up
as IDE.
Need the SCSI CDROM support and the ide-scsi emulation.
Need the generic driver for the drive.

It can be done in modules or in the kernel.

Now, you no longer (according to linux) have an IDE cdrom/cdrw
but have scsi devices with which cdrecord can work.

(The latest distributions may automate adding cdrw drives since
 they are so popular. Mine didn't so I had to do it the "hard" way.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ATI Radeon graphics cards
Date: 30 Mar 2001 14:43:33 GMT

On 29 Mar 2001 08:53:23 -0700,
Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Melvin Gators) writes:
>
>> Do these graphics cards work well under linux?  Anyone tried the
>> Radeon LE cards yet?
>
>2D works fine.
>
>3D does not at all (usually).

??

Mine seems to work rather well in 3d, in quake3, UT and Sof. You have
to do a build from DRI CVS though. It probably won't make into the
dists untill one has Xfree 4.1.

Perry

------------------------------

From: Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIA AC97 audio (VT82C686 super south) and 2.4.2 kernel..
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:05:18 +0100

Well, you've got further than I did! I've never managed to get a squeak out
of mine using the kernel drivers, either as modules or compiled in.
Everything loads OK, but no sound comes forth.....!

However, I have had a lot of success with the Alsa drivers. Again, there
are many conflicting versions of how to install these (I found the best
advice at www.linuxnewbie.org but still had to fiddle a bit!), and I had to
do quite a bit of trial and error before I succeeded, but they are now
working superbly well. The latest 0.9.0beta3 version seems to be perfectly
stable, and has eliminated the odd click and pop I got under the "stable"
0.5.10 release. They also work properly under the aRTs server used by KDE
now.

Give the Alsa drivers a try. If you want some help on installing them, drop
me an e-mail, and I'll tell you how I did it (Gigabyte GA-7ZM board, Duron
700).

--
Pete