Linux-Hardware Digest #575, Volume #14            Fri, 6 Apr 01 04:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Help NIC problem (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Linux  on Intel Or Celeron? what is the best choice? (Johan Kullstam)
  EISA Mach32 / SMART Array Controller (pedro)
  how to set time in cmos clock so it doesn't revert on reboot? ("Q")
  Re: 3 com nic
  Re: Are there any other commands to set up soundcard? ("web")
  Re: how to set time in cmos clock so it doesn't revert on reboot? ("Bobby Noell")
  printer start up problem (Clayton Cheung)
  Redhat 7 and Gigabyte AC97 Sound. ("JNJ")
  Re: Linux  on Intel Or Celeron? what is the best choice? ("Bob Cober")
  Isa and pci problems ("Blushade")
  Re: Addonics Yamaha DX-XG (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Linux  on Intel Or Celeron? what is the best choice? (Hartmann Schaffer)
  please help ("dario mendez")
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? ("B.Y.")
  Re: beeps ("Pavan")
  Re: Linux on Xbox? (Mike Castle)
  Re: how to set time in cmos clock so it doesn't revert on reboot? (Villy Kruse)
  Re: EISA Mach32 / SMART Array Controller (Trevor Hemsley)
  DLT and Linux (didier roques)
  Re: printer start up problem (jpmcc)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Help NIC problem
Date: 06 Apr 2001 01:10:56 GMT

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 00:40:24 +0800, Ahmad Taufik Jamil staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>Hi, I'm new in linux. I've install linux in my laptop. However it
>detect and recognized my ethernet card wrongly. It  recognized it as
>"PCMCIA""100base"(using cardctl ident). But my card is actually Compex
>linkPort TX16A 10/100 Fast Ethernet. Anybody know how to change it?

First, does the card work?  If you can set its IP address to a
reasonable value, and then ping another machine on the same subnet, then
you have no problem.  The command "ifconfig eth0 X.Y.Z.W" should not
return an error message, so long as you replace the letters with a valid
IP.

If you can't set the IP or ping out, then you have a legitimate problem,
and you should check the resources at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcmcia-cs/ for information relating to
your particular NIC.  You should probably upgrade your pcmcia-cs to the
latest version; that might fix the problem all by itself.  Further info
at the URL above.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux  on Intel Or Celeron? what is the best choice?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 02:24:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Med HAM) writes:

> On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 21:57:59 GMT, "Geek Mystique"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Intel is a brand, Celeron a type of processor made by Intel.
> >Intel manufactures Celeron type CPUs
> Ooops, I want to say  Pentuim instead of  Intel
> sorry!

pentium is like 6 years obsolete.  you must mean pentium-ii, -iii or
-iv.

slots are dead.  get a socket processor.  pentium-iii, celeron,
athlon, duron all come in slot factors.

i would go for either intel pentium-iii cu-mine or amd athlon
thunderbird.  (well, i would go for the amd athlon, but if you want to
go intel, the p-iii cu-mine isn't half bad.)

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: pedro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EISA Mach32 / SMART Array Controller
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 21:45:56 -0500

Ok... let me begin by saying "I love to torture myself!"

So, I have an old Compaq Proliant 2000 EISA configured with 128MB RAM,
SMART Array Controller, 2 Pentium 100s, 5 2GB disks, CD-Rom, 2 NE2k ISA
NICs, and an EISA ATI Mach32 Video Card.  The good news is, I can get
Linux to run on this, namely RH6.2 and 7.0.  It takes quite a bit of
effort to simply achieve that, if you have ever tried, you would know
what I mean.  However, I had it all running great for months.

So, the problem is this...  I recently swapped out the ISA 1MB ATI Mach
8 for the EISA 2MB ATI Mach 32.  Upon doing so, and attempting to run X,
the computer started to freak out, and it started spitting out errors
about writing to the disk partition (dev/ida/c0d0p1) and so forth.  This
happened when Xconfigurator did a probeonly and when I simply started up
X on a fresh install without any probing.  It really beat the hell out
of my hard drive and corrupted all kids of stuff, rendering the OS and
now ECU unusable.

Has anyone run into this type of problem, and if so, what did you do
about it, and did it work?   Obviously, I know I can yank the Mach32 and
put the Mach8 back in, but then I am back to crappy video.  And do you
know how hard it is to get an EISA video card these days?

Any help would be appreciated.  Please respond here or to tansa6 at hot
mail dt com.

TIA

------------------------------

From: "Q" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to set time in cmos clock so it doesn't revert on reboot?
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 02:35:13 GMT

I am running redhat 6.2 and I do the rdate -s time.server.com and it updates
the clock but when I reboot, it reverts.  I compiled in Enhanced Real Time
Clock Support in the kernel but that doesn't help.  How do I do this?

I am trying to setup a network time server and have set that up, but I can't
get it's own clock to work right because of that.  Also, I am just using the
time server that comes with redhat in inetd.  Is there a better one anyone
recommends?

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3 com nic
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 02:58:24 GMT

Here is what i did....

I used the 3com software in dos and set the card to isa {non-pnp}
and i know the params are 0x300 and irq 10.

but still the card fails to initialize, and i cant get it to work.
i set up the eth0 in linux conf, basic network settings, but i know i am
forgetting the
obvious here. how do i get linux to load this card? what am i missing?

any ideas?

"Drew Roedersheimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:hr4z6.16391$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 16:05:59 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Remember its a DOS program, so don't look in windows!
> >
> >Barry L. Kline wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

Its

------------------------------

From: "web" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are there any other commands to set up soundcard?
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:08:18 +0800

the message for the "modprobe cmpci" is
      no dependency information for the module
The module cmpci.o was copied from another computer.

How can I do then?

news:3ac94662$0$18898$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Bobby Noell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:09:30 GMT

In article <BX9z6.34894$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Q"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am running redhat 6.2 and I do the rdate -s time.server.com and it
> updates the clock but when I reboot, it reverts.  I compiled in Enhanced
> Real Time Clock Support in the kernel but that doesn't help.  How do I
> do this?
>
> I am trying to setup a network time server and have set that up, but I
> can't get it's own clock to work right because of that.  Also, I am just
> using the time server that comes with redhat in inetd.  Is there a
> better one anyone recommends?

just use the /sbin/hwclock utility with the -w switch. i.e.
prompt>hwclock -w

--
Have a Great Day,

Bobby Noell

------------------------------

From: Clayton Cheung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printer start up problem
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:30:08 -0000

hi, whenever I start my computer, I got the following message:

Starting lpd:parport0: detected irq 7;use procfs to enable interrupt-
driven operation

I am using Redhat 7.0 and lexmark 3200. When I was using RH6.2 there was
no problem, and printing works(with a patch), but now it doesn't work

any help please

From: "JNJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat
Subject: Redhat 7 and Gigabyte AC97 Sound.
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:31:32 -0400

I have a Gigabyte GA-7ZX1 motherboard with on-board AC97 sound.  I can't for
the life of me get the on-board sound to work with Linux.  Any suggestions?

James

From: "Bob Cober" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:34:53 GMT

Use AMD

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Blushade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Isa and pci problems
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:50:02 GMT

Somebody give me a web page on how to install an isa or a pci card...or help
me out with the pci card, installation....

I just need to know if there is a bin that installs pci cards at all...
please respond

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Addonics Yamaha DX-XG
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Apr 2001 00:04:20 -0400

"Irzadi Siregar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I installed Red Hat Linux 6.2 but it won't recognize my Addonics SV550
> Yamaha DX-XG.
>
> Anyone can help me ?

(std disclaimer -- I work on GCC, not on Linux, so what follows is my own
opinion).

I recall that a lot of work has recently gone in the Yamaha drivers.  You might
try downloading and installing 2.2.19, which was recently released.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: 6 Apr 2001 00:59:08 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Med HAM wrote:
>Hi folks,
>My  Company are willing to buy  some  machines to install Linux on
>them. My question is which machine is best for Linux  to run on :
>Intel or Celeron?  And if possible , can you tell me why? (ie: the

i suspect you meant pentium-x (x=3 or 4) or celeron.  celerons are made
by intel

>adventages and drawbacks of each  type of processor )
>As always any help could be so appreciated.

you should also consider amd's latest processors (athlon, duron).  in
either case it depends on what you want to use the machines for.  my
understanding (i really haven't followed it too closely) is that the
celeron is following the tradition of intels sx chips:  processors that
are somewhat castrated so they could be sold at a lower price without
endagering the revenue stream from the high end processors.  it seems
that celerons are fine in workstations, but lack a few things in server
situations

hs

------------------------------

From: "dario mendez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: please help
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 01:03:41 -0400

wehere i can find drivers to install a agp sys 6326 video on linux(genome),
please help me

From: "B.Y." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: 6 Apr 2001 05:10:20 GMT

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Keith R. Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:38:03, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
:> "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> >Time to go for lcd flatscreens.
:> Yuck.  None for me, thanks.  They're fine if you only use the one
:> native resolution, otherwise, not so good.

: Wrong.  They are perfect, as long as you have a good one.
: I wish I could find another 1600x1200 flatscreen display
: (and have the boss pay for it) to replace my P200. ...
: Need glasses: get them.  Font too small: make it bigger (or
: get glasses).  TFT displays are *good*, though expensive.
: If I could find a 17" TFT display that would do 1600x1200

Anything wrong with wide aspect? The SGI 1600SW seems perfect
for editing needs (two pages or large windows, side by side).

------------------------------

From: "Pavan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: beeps
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:02:47 +0530

"Vlad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ahj5j$59cjj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello all!
>
> Where on earth do i switch off these irritating system beeps, like
when i
> backspace too far, or do something similar. These speaker beeps
drive me
> nuts!

put a "setterm -blength 0" (w/o quotes) in the file .bash_profile.

-Pavan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Castle)
Subject: Re: Linux on Xbox?
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 22:27:18 -0700

In article <9ainq4$vda$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Electrode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I think the OS on the Xbox (and pretty much all consoles) is held on a ROM
>chip, which is fused to the motherboard. Maybe if any Linux obsessives out

They won't be upgradable?

mrc

--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  and be right all the time, or not work at all

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Date: 6 Apr 2001 06:54:16 GMT

On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:09:30 GMT, Bobby Noell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>just use the /sbin/hwclock utility with the -w switch. i.e.
>prompt>hwclock -w

There is a nice interface scrip "setclock" whcih will call hwclock with
the right parameters.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: EISA Mach32 / SMART Array Controller
Date: 06 Apr 2001 07:22:48 GMT

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 02:45:56, pedro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So, the problem is this...  I recently swapped out the ISA 1MB ATI Mach
> 8 for the EISA 2MB ATI Mach 32.  Upon doing so, and attempting to run X,
> the computer started to freak out, and it started spitting out errors
> about writing to the disk partition (dev/ida/c0d0p1) and so forth.  This
> happened when Xconfigurator did a probeonly and when I simply started up
> X on a fresh install without any probing.

One possibility is that the Compaq Array driver doesn't use
request_region() to allocate its ioports, it just grabs them and uses
them and doesn't bother to let Linux know that it has them. This means
that other device drivers don't know that they are in use so can probe
them. The correct thing is to request_region() each bank of ioports
that you aim to use and this then lets others know that you are using
them. You could try amending the source to add the necessary
request_region() to it and see if it helps.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: didier roques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DLT and Linux
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 09:34:05 +0200

    Hi all,
 I've got an external DLT Tape device (DLT4000D HP PN:A3590A), it seems
to use a scsi interface (68 pins) fast & wide scsi (differential). Do
you know which scsi adpatec card can i use to connect this device to my
linux box ?
thanks in advance,
please email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: printer start up problem
From: jpmcc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 00:47:27 -0700

I've noticed this as well. I've been having problems getting
consistent printing from my Epson Photo Stylus 700, which isn't
supported under RH7's 'printtool'. I replaced 'printtool'
with 'cups' last night, which is a lot better, but isn't quite
right yet (I get spurious form feeds after a few centimetres of
graphic printing). I'll do some more playing over the weekend
and post here if I get any answers.

John