Linux-Hardware Digest #609, Volume #14           Thu, 12 Apr 01 04:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Help, Need a SCSI expert Urgently (jazbo)
  I need an xf86config file for an Armada 1596DMT (Patrick Cronin)
  Re: I need an xf86config file for an Armada 1596DMT (Patrick Cronin)
  Re: IRQ modem problem: pci PnP (not winmodem) ("Ron Freidel")
  Re: "SiS 6326" with XFree 4.0.3 ("" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: beeps (W. B.)
  Re: SMP motherboard recommendations solicited (jurriaan kalkman)
  Re: Sound cards for RH 7 ?? (Tom Roberts)
  PCMCIA 3.1.25 vs memory_cs vs Kernel 2.4.3 (Konstantinos Agouros)
  today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill them up? (Dan
Jacobson)
  Re: Internal Diamond Supra PCI Modem Instalation HELPPPPPPPP !!!!!!! (James Richard
Tyrer)
  ISDN router for Linux ("John Stolz")
  Re: ATA100 drive with ATA33 controller ("arthur")
  Re: ISDN router for Linux (John Winters)
  Re: Linux modems ("arthur")
  Re: Linux  on Intel Or Celeron? what is the best choice? (Chris Elvidge)
  Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill them up?
("Rob Turk")
  Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill them up?
("Shaun")

From: jazbo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help, Need a SCSI expert Urgently
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:45:17 -0400

Karl-Heinz Herrmann wrote:

> On 11-Apr-01 jazbo wrote:
> >  Karl-Heinz Herrmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since I don't have a Ricoh drive myself I can't compare direcrtly the behaviour.

> My plextor Reader as well as my Teac Burner both spin the CD right after
insertion.
> The plex40TS will spin the motor for a second to test if a cd is there. The Teac

> doesn'T seem to do that (or I can't here it with the fans in the case beeing not

> exactly silent).
>
> >  I just tried to see what the drive does by itself without the OS trying
> >  to mount it:
> >  Put in a known good iso9660 cdrom disc.
> >  Drive LED is red for almost a second after tray door closes.
> >  Then it turns green.
> >  No spin up sound. About 15 seconds later the LED turns red for a couple
> >  of seconds.
> >  Then it's back to green and it stays green for maybe ten seconds, then
> >  it turns red for a second.
> >  It goes through a couple more cycles of being green and then showing a
> >  red LED for a couple of seconds.
> >  Then it starts flashing green and red very rapidly. There's never been a
> >  sound of the drive spinning up.
>
> Sound like a drive problem to me.
>
> >  This is definitely a defective drive, then?
>
> I would think so -- but I've not *that* much experience with realy bad drives
(i.e.
> none, all mine are still working). Bad hardrives would be a different matter --
> there I do have some first hand experience :-/
>
> But the drive certainly behaves strange -- if listening carefully does not start

> the motor at inserting a CD or at reading something I would call it dead.
>
> You could test you SCSI bus though -- if I understood correctly you have a
scanner
> on the same bus. Does that work?

Yes, it is a Umax Astra 1220S, one of those with a 25 pin connector that goes to
the
external 50 pin port of the Advansys.
The scanner works - I have its passive terminator placed on its SCSI chain port.
I just tried removing the scanner from the scsi1 bus to see if it made any
difference
- I get the same behavior from the Ricoh cdrw as before.
Also I left a cdrom in it across a cold boot, and the bootup nearly halted in the
Advansys scsi initialisation stage: it recognized the RIcoh CDRW and then just sat

there for 30 seconds. It usually pauses slightly longer after recognizing the cdrw

than after recognizing the scanner, but this time it looked like it wouldn't
proceed
at all.

I don't think there should be a fundamental incompatibility between the CDRW and
the
Advansys SCSI.
I bought the same model of Ricoh (MP 7060S) CDRW for my nephew's PC in which I
also
put an Advansys SCSI card and same Umax scsi scanner - the only difference is that
the
SCSI card he has is one notch up in the Advansys line of that time. It's an Ultra,

mine is a Fast. The Ricoh is only a Fast 8Mb/sec cdrw. Although I haven't setup
his
cdrw to work in Linux yet, the whole assemblage works together in Windows. I
assume (a
high probability) compatibility between Advansys and the Ricoh that is present
with
the Ultra card would carry over to the Fast as well.

Also, I am pretty sure that when you insert a cdrom into the Ricoh it immediately
gives it a quick spin with a loud whisshhing noise. I've yet to hear that from my
7060S.

> And another thing would be to talk to the cd burner without using the CD --
like:
> cdrecord -prcap
>
> maybe try:
> cdrecord -eject
> cdrecord -load
>
> or even:
> cdrecord -atip (which will try to read the informations of a blank)
> with a dead drive motor this should fail where the others should work as long as

> the electronics and scsi connection are working.

Can't get these to work. I issue commands like:"# cdrecord -inq /dev/sr0" and
"#cdrecord -eject /dev/sr0" and they hangup until I remove the sr_mod module, very

much like what happens when I try to mount a cdrom in the drive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl-Heinz Herrmann wrote:
<snip>

> But the drive certainly behaves strange -- if listening carefully does not start

> the motor at inserting a CD or at reading something I would call it dead.

Actually it does make a quiet spinning sound for 2 to 3 seconds. But not the
spinning
sound I am used to... It's a chirping noise, then there's a faint click. Then it
does
the same thing: chirr-whirrrrr...click. The chirping sound travels from the rear
of
the unit towards the front each time. (Like a reading head?)
After this is repeated 4 times from the beginning, the drive LED turns red for a
second or so, then back to green.
At 8 times, the LED again goes from green to red and back to green after a second.

At 12 times, the same thing.
At 16 times the LED instead begins to blink green and red rapidly.

It can't read TOC?

Same thing for an unwritten cdr except the spinning sound is slightly louder -that
is
how I first noticed it- and I think it starts blinking sooner.
It's still not the loud "whishhhing" sound I associate with the normal function of
the
Ricoh 7060 drive.

Thank you Very Much for helping me sort this out.
I am almost 100% certain the drive is bad and I will need to return it.

------------------------------

From: Patrick Cronin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I need an xf86config file for an Armada 1596DMT
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:44:03 -0500

Hello,  I have a Compaq Armada 1598DMT with a 266 Mhz processor,
therefore it has the larger, 13.3" TFT screen.  I am having problems
getting it configured properly.  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions
please let me know.

Thank you

------------------------------

From: Patrick Cronin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need an xf86config file for an Armada 1596DMT
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:46:08 -0500

I forgot to mention, I am running Mandrake 7.2 on the machine.

------------------------------

From: "Ron Freidel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ modem problem: pci PnP (not winmodem)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:04:57 -0600

Umm... Try the modem in a different slot.

--
Ron

That money talks,
I'll not deny,
I heard it once,
It said good-bye.

------------------------------

From: "<toor>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "SiS 6326" with XFree 4.0.3
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:25:03 -0400

Make sure you change the screen resolution, or play around with it. It takes
time with X!

Raoul Markus wrote in message <9asqib$pqa$01$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
Hi everybody,

I just happened to install XFree 4.0.3 (yeah, on a SuSE 7.0) since there
where lots of improvements for SiS driver announced at xfree86.org...
well, it's gotten really faster, I admit.... but now I have ugly color
efects, e.g. the bars of my kde-windows have strange colors, sometimes
strange rectangles are left halve filled with contents which belong
elsewhere....

..... this seems only to happen with certain fillments or movements of
bitmaps: e. g. the nice window-bars of kde2... plain color fills are ok.
and so are movements of these areas.

does anyone have hints? some fine XF86Config lines to tune the behavior?

thanks in advance,

Raoul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W. B.)
Subject: Re: beeps
Date: 12 Apr 2001 04:48:45 GMT

Inside emacs, it is easy to turn beeping into screen flashing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jurriaan kalkman)
Subject: Re: SMP motherboard recommendations solicited
Date: 12 Apr 2001 05:27:55 GMT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:03:18 GMT, Cokey de Percin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> jurriaan kalkman wrote:
>>
>> BX chipset, doesn't run the very latest Pentiums, but proven their worth
>> VIA chipset, runs the very latest Pentiums, a bit new.
>> ServerWorks, runs the latest Pentiums, 64-bit PCI slots, but not totally
>> compatible with Linux at the moment.
>
> ??? AFAIK, many of the ServerWorks boards are certified for Linux; my Tyan
> Thunder 2500 (S1867) is.  I don't know of any Linux/ServerWorks problems that
> are actually ServerWorks problems.  The 2500 had/has some, but the 104 bios
> upgrade seems to have fixed most of them (not the USB however!?).  The SW
> boards I've worked with are _very_ fast and stable.  Not cheap though by any
> means....

Don't understand me wrong, I'd love to have one, but there have been
messages to the linux-kernel list about the IDE-controller not
functioning (or being recognized) correctly in the past weeks. There has
also been discussion about internals of the chipset, which were needed
for something (IRQ-routing? I2C temperature sensors? I have forgotten!)
but which ServerWorks didn't want to disclose.

Jurriaan
--
If at first you don't succeed - so much for sky-diving.
GNU/Linux 2.4.3-ac4 SMP/ReiserFS 2x1743 bogomips load av: 0.00 0.03 0.04

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:24:42 -0500
From: Tom Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound cards for RH 7 ??

Dances With Crows wrote:
> the card I've
> been advising people to get is the Ensoniq AudioPCI, otherwise known as
> the Soundblaster128-PCI, and probably several other names besides.

BEWARE!!! RedHat 7.0 does not have a complete driver for this card. It
will play just fine, and will record, but there is a noisy crackle in
the background. Nothing I could do would get rid of it, including
exchanging cards. Yes, the RedHat hardware page is incorrect in claiming
a driver is included (or they didn't realize its disaster when recording).

        The driver is called es1371.o

But go to www.alsa-project.org and download the alsa drivers, libs, and
utilities. This is the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, and it has
a driver for the AudioPCI which works. Plus a more flexible and feature-
rich sound architecture, of course. It has MANY more soundcard drivers
than RedHat 7.0.

        The driver is called ens1371.o

On my board, a CD-quality recording with Line-In enabled but unplugged
has a maximum value of 4 (out of 32,767); with Mic enabled its maximum is
10. Both are inaudible at maximum volume. I have no idea what the other
driver did to make so much noise.

Tom Roberts     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Konstantinos Agouros)
Subject: PCMCIA 3.1.25 vs memory_cs vs Kernel 2.4.3
Date: 12 Apr 2001 07:46:44 +0200

Hello,

I have a compactflash-pcmcia-adapter. Now I tried to get it to run under Linux
2.4.3. The first Problem (I think) was, that in the Kernel-PCMCIA-Distribution
there is no memory_cs-Module. But the main problem is, that when I enter
the adapter in the slot I get a <hexaddr> initialization timed out increase
setup delay (or something similar). The question: How do I increase the delay?

Konstantin
--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185

------------------------------

From: Dan Jacobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill them
up?
Date: 12 Apr 2001 10:29:40 +0800

It seems that at least for a home dialup user, today's PC hard disks
would surely fail before he could manage to fill it all up via say,
browsing, even with caching proxies, etc.  Therefore it seems deleting
unneeded files might become a routine of the past?  Hmm, 30 GB /(20
MB/day)=4 years
--
http://www.geocities.com/jidanni Tel886-4-25854780 e-mail:restore .com.

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up,dc.org.linux-users,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Internal Diamond Supra PCI Modem Instalation HELPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 06:44:54 GMT

Dave Mundt wrote:,

>  and, getting a good, external model.  That will hook right up, with no
> problems.

I really think that this advice is getting a little out of date.

A 3COM/USR 2977 internal PCI modem works fine with Linux.

The current Kernel even auto detects it.

JRT

------------------------------

From: "John Stolz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: ISDN router for Linux
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:42:58 +0200

I need advice on choosing an ISDN router for a mixed (linux/Win98) SOHO
network.

I currently share the ISDN connection via Windows 98se connection sharing -
which is pants.  I'd like to install an ISDN router.  But the one I have in
mind comes with windoze setup software, but I hear that routers exist with a
web interface setup and config system which is more ecumenical

If I go for a router with the windoze setup (Cisco 775 or Bay Netgear
RT348) - I presume I can connect from any computer on the network?

Thanks in advance
John

------------------------------

From: "arthur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: ATA100 drive with ATA33 controller
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:03:50 -0700

Personally I like IBM and Western Digital 7200rpm drives.
I currently own a WD 10gig Udma66 and a WD200BB -
20gig UDma100 7200rpm.  One on an Epox K6 and the
other on an ASUS A7V133 K7 system.

Both WD drives  have a dos driver to turn off Udma and thus
disable the UDma 66/100.  You should check the support sites
before you purchase a drive.  The drive you buy should
support PIO modes.

Arthur   (remove the .remove to email)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ISDN router for Linux
Date: 12 Apr 2001 08:10:49 +0100

In article <9b3jqh$4b3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Stolz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I need advice on choosing an ISDN router for a mixed (linux/Win98) SOHO
>network.
>
>I currently share the ISDN connection via Windows 98se connection sharing -
>which is pants.  I'd like to install an ISDN router.  But the one I have in
>mind comes with windoze setup software, but I hear that routers exist with a
>web interface setup and config system which is more ecumenical
>
>If I go for a router with the windoze setup (Cisco 775 or Bay Netgear
>RT348) - I presume I can connect from any computer on the network?

Yes.  Have you considered using an ISDN card in one of your Linux boxes?
You would potentially have a lot more control over the connection and it
would be cheaper than an ISDN router.  OTOH, an ISDN router would
probably be simpler to set up.

HTH
John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

------------------------------

From: "arthur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux modems
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:23:09 -0700

Specifically for PCI the USR 2977/2976 (OEM)
or 3CP5610 (retail - read expensive).

Arthur (remove .remove to email)
======================================

------------------------------

From: Chris Elvidge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux  on Intel Or Celeron? what is the best choice?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:49:55 +0400

Look on Emulators Inc. web site - www.emulators.com (?)

------------------------------

From: "Rob Turk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill
them up?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:50:22 +0200

"Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It seems that at least for a home dialup user, today's PC hard disks
> would surely fail before he could manage to fill it all up via say,
> browsing, even with caching proxies, etc.  Therefore it seems deleting
> unneeded files might become a routine of the past?  Hmm, 30 GB /(20
> MB/day)=4 years

Not really. With the average number of Compuserve/AOL CDROM's coming in,
ready to be installed, it will take (30GB / 640MB = ) 47 CDs. That's less
than 1 month if you're lucky ;-)

Rob

From: "Shaun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:26:10 +0930

erm.. Assuming that downloading is all the user does. What about sound
editing, video editing, installing games. etc. They're dial-up users too.