From: "yyurvy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reccomendations for system for high data throughput
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:16:07 -0500

You may want to check out the "Solid FlowEngine" from Solid Information
Technology.  More info can be obtained at www.solidtech.com.
===============
"xuare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Iaas6.69613$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Correct me if I am wrong, but I think ext2fs has a 2GB limit on file
sizes.
> This may be an issue for consideration...

> -
> The best defense is a good offense
>
> perl -e 'print "begin 664
/dev/stdout\n\;\>\&UA\<S\`P0\&AE\;\&QG871E\+FAO\;65I\<\"YN970\*\n\`\nend\n"'

------------------------------

From: "yyurvy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hardware database?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:18:37 -0500

You may want to check out the "Solid FlowEngine" from Solid Information
Technology.  More info can be obtained at www.solidtech.com.  They have done
some stuff with Nokia in Finland.

===========
news:l_lA6.3937$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "yyurvy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: clustering Linux for database application
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:25:32 -0500

You may want to check out the "Solid FlowEngine" from Solid Information
Technology.  More info can be obtained at www.solidtech.com.
====================
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Eric Hallett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Two more hardware install problems
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:14:13 +0700

Thanks Hal for help with the video.

I'm also having problems with my printer and modem.

The printer is an old HP DeskJet 400.  I've used printtool and gone through
all of the steps, but when I try to print the ASCII test page the cartridge
light on the printer blinks and nothing happens.  I've seen this happen with
the driver provided in Windows also.  Just a crappy driver.  The original
has to be downloaded from HP.

I'm also having problems connecting with my generic PureTek K56Flex external
modem.  According to linuxmodems.org this modem is compatible.  I've gone
through everything with the RPS dialup configuration tool, checked the
physical connection by using _echo ATZ++ >/dev/modem_ (lights were
blinking), but still no connection with the RH PPP dialer.

Any solutions?  I'd be glad to post additional info if needed.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:29:35 -0500

"Hartmann Schaffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <_DrC6.3490$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >"franek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> I could never understand this enamoration with HTML-based interfaces.
> >There's a good case
> >> for using HTML in a normal web-based environment, but why the hell one
> >would want to use
> >> this crude and slow method in a standalone system is beyond me.
> >
> >Well, there are a lot of reasons why one might want to do this.
>
> all the reasons you give describe a thin client arrangement, i.e. a client
> that only does the user interaction and communication with the server.
that
> doesn't mean it has to be html

You're ignoring the one about management.  Consider that many factories
operate 24/7, which means they never shut down the terminals and the
"application" runs constantly.  When you upgrade the application, the
terminals are still running it.  You have to get all the clients to shutdown
and load the new version.

Yes, you could write a script to connect to the machines and kill the
processes and restart it, but what if those terminals are in use when you do
this?

The web based solution works well, because once you've updated the
application, the next time they load a page it uses the new version
automatically.

------------------------------

From: Akop Pogosian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: how to let solaris8 and redhat share one harddisk
Date: 16 Apr 2001 03:30:23 GMT

In comp.unix.solaris Zhefu Fan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> who do you know how to let solaris8 and redhat share one harddisk

I once noticed that there is a free 1GB partition on my Linux PC at
home, so I one day I installed Solaris 7 on it. The install program
will create a Solaris disk label on that disk and the disk slices used
by it will all be contained within that partition.

Dual-booting was done easily with LILO. It was more complicated in my
case because the disk that Linux and Solaris were on was not disk that
the system boots from initially. However, if you have just one disk,
there will be no need to additional LILO tweaks.

-akop

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:01:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams) wrote:

> > Probably not.  I listen mostly to baroque music, especially
> > late baroque.  (Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Purcell, Teleman,
> > Pachelbel, ...)  I also like one romantic composer (Chopin),
> > the occasional classical (e.g., Dvorak), and even a little
> > modern music on occasion (Glad (www.glad-pro.com), and
> > occasionally some techno; I even don't mind the music
> > from Descent every now and again).
>
> I can get with some of the above.  Most bore me though.  The
> amazing thing I've found is what is useful as background and
> what is distracting.  I would never have guessed.  I like
> classical music, but find it distracting.  ...maybe because
> it demands attention.  Anyway...

Yeah.  Too many changes in temp and volume are distracting,
and classical does a lot of that.  Baroque is more even
and steady and therefore (to me anyway) less distracting.

Chant can also be okay as background, as long as it's
in a language I don't know.  Someday when I learn Latin,
I probably won't be able to play chants as background
anymore.

> I do some pretty serious stuff on my system.  I was never
> convinced that a laptop could do my stuff.

It probably couldn't, when laptops were introduced.
These days you can get a laptop that will really perform,
if you're willing to pay money.  That wasn't always so.

> I always had a
> desktop system to do the real work.  That changed with this
> beast.  My desktop system rarely runs (at work).  I had
> several systems where I could rung background place-n-route
> stuff.  That's all gone away since I can carry my "desktop"
> with me.  ...even more so since I can plug the thing into a
> dock and get the secondary display.

What I want is a static IP so I can telnet into my
home system from work (or, for that matter, from
wherever)...  but I'm not sure I want to pay for
that just yet.

> > If I were getting a new system today, it'd be
> > probably a Duron system, on the theory that the
> > decent FSB would probably be nice a few years
> > down the line.
>
> Wrong attitude.  There is nothing salvagable down the line.
> Motherboards go with processors. The days of a motherboard
> lasting generations went away with socket-7.

The motherboard goes with the processor, but I already
explained that most of what I do isn't processor-intensive.
My PII/233 is fast enough and will continue to be fast
enough for a couple of years yet.  But I had to buy more
RAM and a second hard drive and am going to be getting
my third keyboard soon.  If I were getting a new system,
I'd be thinking along similar lines in terms of expansion
path:  get something good enough that in five years it
will still be able to function.

The other thing is, Duron is a cheaper option than
almost anything new, except K6-2, and K6-2 just won't
have the performance in two or three more years; I
want my PC to last longer than that, if nothing else
because migrating a multiboot system to new hardware
is a serious pain.

> Sure.  Efficiency is in the eye of the beholder. Efficient
> and low resolution don't match, IMHO.
>
> Today I gave a presentation (forced) at work.  I was rather
> surprised that the overhead display worked at 1600x1200.
> Neat! It sure beats making transparencies!

Let me guess:  they made you use Power Point.
[Powerless & Pointless is more like it...]

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:01:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy) wrote:

> Joeri Sebrechts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Time I upgrade the system though. I've learned the ways of debian are
> > far superior to the poorly designed redhat :-)
>
> Preach it, brother!

Redhat and Mandrake are designed to be newbie-oriented.
Which, in itself, is not a bad thing.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Subject: Re: Linux  on Intel Or Celeron? what is the best choice?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:01:28 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dell and Compaq have been signed up with Intel for the P4 for years. That's
> why they're all currently grimacing together over the P4s technical
> failures .. and staying very quiet about it, hoping that the next
> months will bring some rescue path.

I think HP might sell some AMD-based systems.

Dell will actually sell you a PC with linux pre-installed,
which is a relatively major step IMO, since Dell is one of
the "big boys" in terms of selling package-deal systems.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Subject: Re: Experience with KVM switches?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:01:30 GMT

"BetrOffDed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I have no idea what an ADB keyboard is, so I'm no help
> there.

ADB is a type of DIN connection, similar to PS/2 on first glance,
but the pins are not in the same places.  Mac keyboards and mice
use them.

Even assuming you can get a switchbox that can do the physical
conversion between ADB and PS/2 (which you definitely want to
check rather than taking for granted), keymap issues might arise
if you want to use the same keyboard between Mac and PC systems.
The letters are all in the same place, but there may be issues
with things like backspace, del, delete, ctrl, alt/meta, option,
command (clover), win/meta/alt, pgup, pgdn, prtsc, break, and
so on.  Could be weird.  Not to mention numlock if you use that.
Something to think about before you jump in with both feet.
Even if it "works", you could have some strange "which key do
I use for that again?" situations.

Do Mac and PC monitors receive the same signals?

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Subject: Re: how to get higher resolution redhat 7
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:01:35 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy) wrote:

> You might see something like:
>
>   Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "512x384"

I have a tangentially related question...

Most of the time I use 640x480 or 800x600, but if I wanted
to zoom in a bit closer (say, to mess with a simple image
more carefully)...  what happens if I put something like
"320x200" on that list?  Will I hurt anything trying it?

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: MIDI driver / library in Linux Mandrake 7.2
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:01:35 GMT

"Rishabh Gupta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I check the hardware configuration using HardDrake, it
> shows the sblive soundcard (emu101k) but there is no midi device.

Slightly confusingly, MIDI playback devices normally do not
have the letters "MIDI" in them; they usually go by "MPU401";
look for that.  (It may be that that isn't installed either,
in which case I don't know enough to coach you further.)

> Can somebody tell me what sound library / driver does mandrake use (e.g.
> ALSA or OSS or something else) or how can I find out.

When I used rpm to install harddrake (to facilitate getting my
ethernet card working quickly and easily), one of the dependency
errors I got was that alsa was required, so I had to install
that first.  So I guess that Mandrake generally uses alsa.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Subject: Re: Linux and Emachines
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:01:36 GMT

Tom Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have have rather bad experience with eMachines. They are quite cheap,
> and IMHO overpriced.

How they're priced varies considerably, but they are bargain-basement
and don't forget it.  The one we have at work runs okay (Win98), but
it looks and feels very proprietary, worse than the Compaqs we've
got also.  (NO expansion slots, weird buttons on the keyboard,
the monitor and mobo are inside the same integrated case with
translucent blue plastic on the outside, highly bizarre wheelmouse
with a wheel that doesn't work right and confuses people because it
looks like a button and the actual buttons aren't visible, being
coincident with the body of the mouse...)   I imagine, however,
that different models of eMachines are not all the same, and I
don't know anything about the 633is specifically.

- jonadab

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Rohricht)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:11:12 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>My PII/233 is fast enough and will continue to be fast
>enough for a couple of years yet.  But I had to buy more
>RAM and a second hard drive and am going to be getting
>my third keyboard soon.

Okay I have to ask: are you just wearing your keyboards out really quickly,
or have you somehow found a way to interface using three at once?

--
Thomas Rohricht - CO2 Creative
Forward-thinking graphics and design

userid : trohricht
domain : co2creative
suffix : com
(Sorry for the big procedure, but I'm really really sick of spam)

------------------------------

From: "Ron Freidel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Two more hardware install problems
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:51:51 -0600

Hi,

I've been using Linux for quite some time and have never been able to get
the RH PPP dialer included with RH7  to work reliably, you may try another
dialer.

 I have KDE installed though I use gnome, I use KPPP to dial the Internet, it
always works great.

Have you tried to use minicom to dial out?

I assume you are using the correct ttyS port?

Can't help with the printer, don't like hp injet printers....

In article <vSEC6.359$g7.3332@news>, "Eric Hallett"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
--
Ron

That money talks,
I'll not deny,
I heard it once,
It said good-bye.

------------------------------

From: "Eric Hallett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:09:40 +0700

Regarding the ttys port,

It should be on ttys2, it is on com3 in windows

setserial returns this message-- /dev/ttys2: Input/output error

the same goes for statserial-- Input/output error

Also, the modem is not included in pnpdump

It appears that there may be IRQ, DMA conflicts.  I'm completely in the dark
on port conflicts in Linux (newbie).  Any further help with this would be
great.

Ron Freidel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:uRuC6.5553$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

snip

From: Charles E. Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 05:24:17 GMT

Franek wrote:

> Brent R wrote:
>> No way man, you're wrong ... everything that's computer-related must
>> look like a web-page... if it doesn't then you're just behind the times.
>> The factory worker's will be soooo much more productive if they feel
>> like they're searching the web,
> Oh yea, yeah, now I see I was wrong, of course, yeas, just think of it,
> the factory workers will be able to shop on-line while operating their
> favorite lathe! Kewl, dude. To check how their stocks are doing, transact
> their banking online, make a reservation at a favorite restaurant in
> Seattle, stare at some nekkid broads while them forklifts are running wild
> around. Read some unimaginative crap on Salon-dot-com. Productivity will
> soar that's for sure. That's the end of the shop floor as we know it.

Be serious!  There are several ways to block this -- no default (0.0.0.0)
route on the terminals is the one I used when setting up web-clients in an
electronics (automotive elec) facility.

How about having the firewall deny outgoing packets from the shop floor's
subnet?

There are numerous, effective ways to restrict the floor systems to showing
only work-related items.  Many manufacturing facilities require that a
terminal show only info related to the STEP PERFORMED AT THAT POINT, and
not just general work info.

HTML control with PDF documents is a great way to do centralized document
distribution in a document-controlled environment.

--
Charles E. Hill
Artek New Media

Subject: Promise RAID Controller
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary)
Date: 16 Apr 2001 00:42:21 -0500

Anyone have drivers for the Promise IDE RAID controllers (esp. the
Fastrack100)? Anyone using this controller with Linux?

thx . . .