On Mon, Jan 10, 2000, Ira Abramov wrote about "Re: Linux Demo Day 17.2":
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Nadav Har'El wrote:
>
> > > Actually it would be *better* to get arrested. Just think of the press:
> > >
> > > "Programmers get arrested for handing our free CD's"
> >
> > I hope you're joking... As much as I am a Linux fanatic, and a preacher
> > of operating-system pluralism, it is *not* the time yet to take such
> > actions against Microsoft. "direct action" and civil disobedience are not
>
> who talked about violance? I said "come with folding tables and
> laptops" not as tools for hitting people, but as a demo corner to show
> them hat they won't see inside, and give away free CDs.

If the police tells you to go away, and you don't, but rather wait to
be arrested for the photographers to see, there'll be violence... Of course
there shouldn't be any reason for the police to want to arrest you in the
first place - I wasn't the one who brought up the idea to get arrested!
To be on the safe side, you can even ask for a demonstration permit (but
maybe if it's small enough you won't need one). Coming with CDs in your
hand isn't much different than coming to a demonstration with signs in
your hand.

> > instead of going to Microsoft conferences and trying to convert MS
> > users. The former is pluralism, the latter is more like the Spanish
> > Inquisition.
>
> WOAH! I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition!

Yes, "nobody expects the spanish inquisition" :)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Monday, Jan 10 2000, 4 Shevat 5760
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Sign seen in restaurant: We Reserve The