On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, guy keren wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Alexander Maryanovsky wrote:
>
> > When do you know you're talking to an open source supporter?
> > When he's looking for alternatives to *Mozilla* :-)
>
> the fact that something is open-source, doesn't have to mean its a
> resource hog. and mozilla is a great resource hog, and so is KDE. and
> unlike various movie playing software - they don't _have_ to be such
> resource hogs. just that nobody cares enough to make them less 'hoggish'.

I beg to differ. Mozilla has to support a lot of things: all the HTML
versions (2.0, 3.2, 4.0, 4.01, XHTML ), broken HTML, CSS, images, the XUL
portable GUI library, java and Flash applets, JavaScript, many protocols
(all versions of HTTP, FTP, gopher, etc), XML and XSL and the other W3C
inventions, and possibly other things I forgot. It needs to be bloated if
it wishes to support all of those things, and with the advancement of W3C
standards, the situation is only getting worse.

I clearly remember Netscape 4.72 to be quite bloated when it came out.
Naturally, one can use the Mozilla engine (Gecko) without a lot of the
Mozilla bloat which gave birth to lighter browsers such as Galeon,
Phoenix, K-Meleon, etc. But still, the core functionality has to be very
large.

As for KDE: well it was their decision to reduce the number of libraries
they have to a minimum by putting a lot of unrelated things into any
library. GNOME 2 loads much faster on my computer. I still prefer using
KDE 3.x because GNOME decides to put the OK button on the right side
instead of the left side where it belongs. (is there any way to change the
OK/Cancel dialogs to be Windows/KDE-like?)

But then again, GNOME 2 requires installing a bootload of packages, each
containing a small specialized library. It's a tradeoff.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

> --
> guy
>
> "For world domination - press 1,
>  or dial 0, and please hold, for the creator." -- nob o. dy

Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Home E-mail:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]