On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, voguemaster wrote:

> >when i say something is bloated, i mean it takes too many resources. as
> >you quite well know, two programs doing the same things can use different
> >ammounts of resources. in fact, the same program can do the same thing in
> >two manners - one optimized and one not.
>
> And what would you say were the minimum system requirements for Mozilla
> to run with (not too sluggish) ???

i don't know what are the minimum requirements, as i didn't run it on
computers other then those that i have.

on a 366Mhz AMD k6-2 it was much too slow. from what i understood from
people's posts to this list, if you have a 600Mhz p-III, mozilla still
doesn't run very fast - but at least its useable.

> I can tell you exactly how the computers in the CC at TAU are behaving
> with IE (the computers in the basement).
> The are all P2's I think, and most of them act sluggish as well with IE, so
> I wouldn't just come to Mozilla with complaints.

there you go. the fact that IE runs slow on some hardware, does not mean
that every other browser has to run as slow. if we looked up to misrosoft
for comparing stuff, linux would have crashed every few days and we'd be
filling fine. is that the kind of standard you're looking for?

the fact that other browsers do manage to run much better then mozilla on
a given hardware, suggest that mozilla contains bloat that it does not
necessarily have to carry. this is bloat demonstrated in its purest form.
when mozilla runs as fast as opera (for example), i won't say it has
bloat. and don't sell me the argument that 'mozilla does much more'.
when i view a given web site, the other features of mozilla do not 'run',
so they should not slow it down. it runs slower, because it wasn't
designed and implemented as good as opera was. plus, often you can add
more functionality without paying anything in speed - if you do it right.
if this was not the case, there would have been no meaning to the word
'optimization'.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,