Stepping in a bit late on this thread, just a point of clarification:

Bezeq does not "turn off" PPTP, or "turn on" PPPoE for that matter,
at any time. Nor do they need to "support" these protocols in any way.

PPTP is spoken between your PC (or router) and the modem.
Bezeq (or the ISP) do not "see" PPTP (or PPPoE). They are not aware,
and can not be aware, of your using either of these protocols.
What they see, in *all* of the cases, is PPPoA. (To make it absolutely
clear, they see PPPoA whether you're using (a) PPTP (b) PPPoE
or (c) a router or SpeedTouch Pro doing PPP).

I wouldn't rush to buy a new modem unless it is absolutely clear
that the one you have is faulty. Try to use your modem with a friend's
ADSL line, or bring in another modem on loan, to narrow down
on the problem.

Good luck
Doron

Yasha Harari wrote:

suggestion: try using the blue samsumg modem that your isp should be able to
provide. bezeqint provided me with one when they switched me from pptp to
pppoe (did so without asking me even).

i had a similar problem when they switched me from PPTP to PPPoE ... i ended
up having to play with the alcatel modem for a couple weeks but even that
modem with its internal goodies (it has a router built-in) was not able to
connect ... so i ended up connecting with their samsung blue modem ... and
yes, it is "true" (according to the several Bezeq and Bezeqint.net support
staffers i spoke with) that they don't like to support PPTP on their dsl
lines, so once you have a PPPoE modem, they *do* turn off your PPTP ... this
is their policy since at least 5 months now...

i hope that helps...

yasha