On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 14:41, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:13:03AM +0300, Oded Arbel wrote:
> > On Monday 25 August 2003 10:05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > The things I think are the most useful in the OS-X interface are:
> > >
> > > 1. The ability to sort of "zoom out" where all the application windows
> > > are resized to be small enough so they don't overlap, in that state you
> > > can pick the window you want to switch to, then all windows resize
> > > back to their normal state.  They'll keep updating in that "smaller" state
> > > too.
> >
> > The reason you can do that, and all other neat things OS-X does, is what apple
> > calls "Quartz Extreme". its very simple concept and not far from other things
> > people are playing with on Linux: they map each window as a texture map over
> > a rectangular 3D object using the graphic's hardware 3D acceleration mode.
> > after you do that, you can manipulate the window in hardware - resize it,
> > make it translucent, swipe it here and there, etc' all in hardware and as
> > long as you keep updating the texture bitmap that represents the actual
> > content of the window, users' will be non the wiser.
> >
> > Only problem is : you can't do it in X, because X was designed a long time
> > before any decent 3D hardware acceleration was even thought of, and as a
> > result X sucks.
>
> Sorry, this is not a good argument. There are quite a few technologies
> that were merged into X that were not known at 1985.
>
> What would it take to extend X in that direction?
>
> And totally off-topic: anybody managed to get tdwm ("3dwm") to do something
> useful?

Actually I think it is possible to do with X, its just that no one
bothered doing it.
Not exactly what you're talking about, but take a look at 3D-Desktop.
(Its the 3ddesktop package under debian).
Tested it under sawfish, and when activated you see the desktop scale
down and then all desktops in 3d in a circle and you can spin then
around to pick the one you want. (This can probably be changed to work
with windows instead of desktops if X has the ability provide an image
of each window).
--
Micha Feigin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]