On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:03:24 +0200, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> I just read the news that Checkpoint has cancelled their aquiring of
> SourceFire (the company who makes "Snort". You can see the article (in
> hebrew) here:
> http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3231753,00.html
>
> I have played a bit with Snort few years ago, and I think it's a good tool.
> What I don't understand is why the U.S is so "affraid" to sell it to a
> company like Check point? it was open source in their previous version
> so there's not many "top secret" stuff inside..

It is not about the software, it is about support. Some defense
departments are using this software with SourceFire support and
they are afraid that Israel might spy on them (remember Polard ?).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign