Check out what my company:
www.scalemp.com<http://www.scalemp.com/sol-prod.htm>does.
It's exactly what you're intrigued about :-)
(for example the SGI 1200).

Dan

On 6/18/07, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 18/06/07, Mike Tewner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You can probably buy a small cluster (4 or 8 machines?) for 45k.  Then,
use
> a shared memory system (ccNUMA maybe?)

We'd rather not spend that much money on hardware, but I'm intrigued -
I though that ccNUMA is just a way for parallel computers with obscene
amounts of CPU's or and/or memory to share memory among themselves -
are you suggesting that it's practical to buy a few physically
separate boxes and connect them together in a ccNUMA "array"?

In other words, are you referring to what's described in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CcNUMA#NUMA_vs._cluster_computing ? Have
you seen it done successfully?

Cheers,

--Amos