Em 16-06-2011 16:44, Sylwester Nawrocki escreveu:
> Hello,
>
> On 06/16/2011 05:17 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

>>> it is better to have a callback function to controller sensor power on/off.
>>> and place the callback function in board.c
>
> It might be more convenient for the driver writer but I do not think
> it is generally better. Platform callbacks cannot really be migrated
> to FDT. For reasons pointed out by Jon below I have also been trying
> to avoid callbacks in sensors' platform data.

Well, outside the SoC world, we use two different approaches for GPIO:

The first and more used one is to add the GPIO settings into a per-card model
table (see the tables at cx88-cards, em28xx-cards, etc). Once the driver
detects what's the card model (by USB ID or PCI ID), it selects one
line at the board table entry. This works better than callbacks, and are
very simple to code.

Unfortunately, on a few cases, the GPIO's need to be set during a subdev
operation, on several tuners, like the Xceive family of tuners, that require
a chip reset via GPIO during firmware load.

>> This is an interesting question, actually.  The problem is that board
>> files are on their way out; it's going to be very hard to get any more
>> board files into the mainline going forward.
>>
>> The mmp-camera driver does depend on a board file, but I've been careful
>> to restrict things to basic platform data which can just as easily be put
>> into a device tree.  Power management callbacks don't really qualify.
>>
>> So it seems that we need to figure out a way to push this kind of
>> pin/power management down into the sensor-specific code.  Looking at the
>> subdev stuff, it looks like a bit of thought has been put into that
>> direction; there's the s_io_pin_config() callback to describe pins to the
>
> But having sensor's GPIOs configured by bridge driver does not help us
> much here, does it? The bridge driver would still need to retrieve the
> sensor configuration from somewhere, since it is machine/board specific.
> And it's the subdev driver that will know how the GPIOs should be handled,
> the timing constraints, etc. So as long as we can pass gpio numbers from
> a device tree to subdevs we probably do not need an additional subdev
> operation.
> I guess when there come more subdev drivers dealing with GPIOs we could try
> and see what could be generalized.

On my experiences, the timings and even the meanings for GPIO's are not subdev
specific, at least outside SoC world. Especially when you have multiple devices
sharing the same I2C bus, timings need to be adjusted to avoid troubles with
other chips, and due to capacitance effects at the board tracks.

>> sensor.  But it's almost entirely unused.
>>
>> There is no "power up/down" callback, currently.  We could ponder on
>
> We have the subdev s_power core operation in struct v4l2_subdev_core_ops.
> However it seems that its semantic is not yet clearly documented.

Yes, s_power is meant to be used for putting a sub-device to sleep or for
waking it up.