Linux-Misc Digest #32, Volume #21                Wed, 14 Jul 99 14:13:16 EDT

Contents:
  My HDD crashed, now what? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Good 400mhz portable ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  mgetty+sendfax (Yan Seiner)
  FWD- Socket Eight to S370 convertors coming (Alex Lam)
  Re: DOSEMU Boot from floppy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Eject tape command ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help on Email list (Espen Torgersen)
  chatmud (S P Arif Sahari Wibowo)
  kppp   ,    modem busy problem,       help.    SuSE6.1 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: f00f_bug , core bomb and Esound error (Ketil Froyn)
  Re: Legal file and directory names (Leonard Evens)
  Bad superblock on Redhat 6.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: f00f_bug , core bomb and Esound error (Thomas Ruedas)
  Re: HELP:Upgrading to RedHat 6.0 "fouled" up my system (Leonard Evens)
  Bad superblock on Redhat 6.0 ("News")
  Sound & video card (John Assalone)
  f00f_bug , core bomb and Esound error ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Does Linux erase memory before giving it to a process? (Kevin O' Gorman)
  Re: linux install problem (Leonard Evens)
  Re: RH 6.0 Prob w/ USR Video Modem (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Why is Microsoft so greedy??? (David)

Subject: My HDD crashed, now what?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 14 Jul 1999 09:19:29 -0400

My HDD started making weird rhythmic noises when I would expunge messages in
pine, then X locked up.  I did a reboot and get a message that the settings
for my CDROM drive have been changed and do I want to save them. (Why is this
happening, is it because my BIOS realizes that my hda is no longer bootable?)

At any rate I get a message about a non-bootable disk (there is no floppy
inserted), LILO used to be in the MBR.  I then had to leave for work.

I was planning on trying to boot from a floppy tonight when I get back home
and see what I can recover.  I believe that there's a utility called fschk,
can this mark bad clusters etc. on my hdd?  My computer also has a bootable
CDROM drive so I could boot using my RH 5.2 CDROM.  I have both RH5.2 and
Win95b installed on my system, so I'd imagine that I'd be better off NOT
using fschk or other Linux recovery programs on my Windows partition.

Assuming that I can get the hdd back to where I can read data from it, what
would be recommended to back up in my Linux partitions?  The contents of my
home directories, and root directory would be a good start, where does my mail
live?  I have a zip drive and a QIC tape drive for this.  I haven't used the
ape drive in Linux before, though.  The QIC drive can hold 1.4 Gig with
compression, if I recall correctly.  The zip drive holds 200 Meg with
compression.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that my Compaq didn't come with a true Win95
disk, but with one of those recovery cd's that repartitions your entire hard
drive.  Getting Win95 back may be tough, since I believe that I'll have to
reinstall all my Win95 software, I don't believe that the stuff will work if
you just restore it off a backup tape.  My last backup of my Windows partition
was done several months ago.
--
To respond via e-mail, please remove what's between Eric and Goforth in
my address in order to get my real e-mail address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Good 400mhz portable
Date: 14 Jul 1999 09:58:54 -0400

www.linux.org/hardware/laptops.html is a good place to start
--
Tom Evans

------------------------------

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mgetty+sendfax
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:29:33 -0400

I am trying to get mgetty+sendfax running....

I can get the faxes to connect; the speed is negotiated, my fax starts
transmitting, and, before it sends the first page, my fax modem
disconnects.

This has happened both with a Hayes and a US robotics modems.

I run sendfax with -v -x5 and this is all I get on stdio:

sendfax: FAILED to transmit 'test.g3'.
Transmission error: +FHNG:-5 (Unexpected hangup / read() error / write()
error (int.))

and in /var/log/messages:

Jul 14 08:38:25 portia sendfax[2854]: mdm_read_byte: read returned 0:
Success
Jul 14 08:38:25 portia sendfax[2854]: mdm_get_line: cannot read byte,
return: Success
Jul 14 08:38:25 portia sendfax[2854]: failed transmitting test.g3:
phone="1234567", +FHS:-5, dev=fax, time=18s, acct=""
Jul 14 08:38:25 portia sendfax[2854]: tio: cannot flush queue:
Input/output error
Jul 14 08:38:25 portia sendfax[2854]: fax_send: cannot write:
Input/output error
Jul 14 08:38:25 portia sendfax[2854]: tio: cannot flush queue:
Input/output error

any ideas?

I'm guessing there's a simple AT command init or maybe an S register
setting that I am missing.

Thanks,

Yan
--

           __      __
          | /      /
           /------/
       -- / \    / \ --
     /   /\  \  /  /\   \
    |   /  |  \/--|--    |
     \    /        \    /
       ~~            ~~

"The older I get, the faster I was."

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: FWD- Socket Eight to S370 convertors coming
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:59:19 -0700

==============FWD====================
 Posted 14/07/99 12:06pm by Mike Magee

 Socket Eight to S370 convertors coming

 Several Japanese sites are billing an adaptor which allows the
conversion of Pentium Pro's Socket Eight to a Socket 370
configuration.

 The systems are set to arrive in early August, and will allow single
and dual Socket Eight motherboards to take Celeron S370 processors at
multiple speeds, again in single and dual combos.

 The Pentium Pro came in speeds of 100, 150 and 200MHz, so the upgrade
may give old systems a boost.

 No prices are yet available, but Intel said that it did not support
such third party adaptors.

 At one time, Intel used to get additional money for its old
processors by offering so-called Overdrive upgrades. But that business
no longer exists.

 Intel did create an Overdrive for the Pentium Pro, allowing systems
to be upgraded to a Pentium II/333 with full speed on-die cache, our
Mr Sherriff points out. ®

SOURCE- http://theregister.co.uk/990714-000010.html

*remove all the Xs (upper case X) if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DOSEMU Boot from floppy
Date: 14 Jul 1999 14:58:22 GMT

Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I've installed DOSEMU under RedHat 6.0 but it can't boot from floppy
: disk.
: Is anyone can tell me how to do.

Check your /etc/dosemu.conf
somewhere in the second half you can set 'bootA' or 'bootC'
It's decribed in the file

Rolf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Eject tape command
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:38:30 GMT

Is there a way to eject the tape from the command line.  I am using a
HP Dat drive and Redhat.

From: Espen Torgersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help on Email list
Date: 14 Jul 1999 17:08:08 +0200

try <http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/>

------------------------------

From: S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: chatmud
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:55:59 -0500

Hi!

I am using a chat server called "Mark Morley's chatMUD" which is an old
program. I cannot find the source anywhere. If you know where to find the
source of this chatMUD, or source of any program doing the same thing (a
chat server, connect from a telnet / MUD client, have rooms, have emote),
would you please let me know?

Thank you.

ps.: I tried MiniHaven - thank you for suggesting - it is feel less
friendly. I might hack it though, if there is no other alternative.
Thanks.

                                   S P Arif Sahari Wibowo
  _____  _____  _____  _____
 /____  /____/ /____/ /____           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
_____/ /      /    / _____/          http://spas.8m.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: kppp   ,    modem busy problem,       help.    SuSE6.1
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:47:48 GMT

hi there

        1st can SuSE 6.1 be setup to use my modem for dialup and my ethernet
card for a cable modem?
         Good,    well for now (till my cable modem gets here) i need to get
kppp working, i get an error message that says                  sorry,
the modem is busy.

i dont know what could be using the modem , how can i findout?

------------------------------

From: Ketil Froyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: f00f_bug , core bomb and Esound error
Date: 14 Jul 1999 17:24:52 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hi!
>
> I installed RH Linux 6.0 on my PC (Thinkpad i series 1451 with PI
> 300Mhz).  Would anybody please let me know the following?

Congratulations :)

> 1.  I clicked on the left foot icon on the bottom menu bar.
>     Then, I chose utility -> system info -> detailed info.
>     I found "f00f_bug yes".  What is this?  Do I have to worry
>     about it?

It is a bug in the intel processor. You do not have to worry
about this, linux has found the bug and enabled a workaround.

> 2.  Whenever I logon to Linux, the GNOME window comes out.
>     I mean the one which looks like Window 95/98 with files
>     represented by icons.  I found that there is a yellow bomb
>     titled "core".  The bomb has eyes.  What is this?  I reinstalled
>     Linux several times and this thing keep appearing.  Do I have
>     to worry about it?  How to prevent this from happening?

A core file is a memory dump from a program that was saved to disk
when something went wrong in the program. Just delete it.
If you want to know what program failed, run 'gdb -c core' and read
what it says. It is created for debugging if want to fix the program
that crashed. You can disable core dumps with 'ulimit'.

> 3.  Under Enlightenment Configuratin Editor, I chose Audio and then
>     enable sounds in Englightment  When I clicked ok, I got
>     "Error initialising sound there was an error communicating with
>     teh audio server (Esound). Audio will now be disabeled"
>     Anybody knows how to fix the problem?

Run 'esd' (this is the ESound Daemon). This will only work if you have
correctly configured audio on your computer.

Ketil Froyn
--
The angle of the dangle is proportional to the heat of the meat.

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~ketilf/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Legal file and directory names
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:09:14 -0500

Efi Merdler wrote:

> Hi
>
> Are there any limitations on a file name and a directory
> name,limitations like forbidden characters,length,spaces etc...
>
> Thank you

There are very few restrictions and this can often cause
problems.  A typical one is a file which is accidentally
created with a `-' at the beginning.  Then trying to do
anything to this file with a command leads the shell to
interpret the - as the beginning of an option to the
command.   The only way to deal with that is to use
./-restofname.  Thus, if you wanted to remove a file
named -junk, you would use
rm ./-junk

Hackers also can hide files.  A typical trick is to name
a file .. or something similar after fiddling with the
file system.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Bad superblock on Redhat 6.0
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:18:13 GMT

Hi

After a proper shutdown, my system now boots with a bad superblock
error.  It suggests running 'e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/xxxx' to fix the
problem.  This appears to run cleanly but I still get the error on boot-
up.  I made a boot floppy, but don't have a rescue disk or backup.

Celeron 400, 128MB
/boot/    /dev/sda2    100MB     2nd partition   9GB SCSI
/         /dev/sda3    2GB       3rd partition        "
swap      /dev/hda2    100MB     2nd partition   22GB IDE

Thanks
Bruce Morgan

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:28:19 +0200
From: Thomas Ruedas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

Maybe a bit of help:
1. The f00f bug is a bug of the Pentium processor; I also have it. On my
system (Debian, kernel 2.0.34) I get a message at boot saying that a
workaround for that bug is enabled; Linux provides such a workaround and
I guess that it should be enabled on your box as well. Maybe you can
look out for such a message on system. - The f00f bug consists in
freezing your CPU when it encounters a command sequence with the hex
string f00f, as far as I understood when posting the same question in a
mailing list a few months ago :)
2. It probably means that there are core files. These files are
generated when a program crashes: it dumps core. Hard to say for me what
is the matter in your special case.
HTH,
Thomas Ruedas
Institute of Meteorology and Geophysics,
J.W. Goethe University Frankfurt/Main
Feldbergstrasse 47                      D-60323 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Phone:+49-(0)69-798-24949               Fax:+49-(0)69-798-23280
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de/~ruedas/

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP:Upgrading to RedHat 6.0 "fouled" up my system
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:24:19 -0500

Tom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just purchased the the RedHat 6.0 core system upgrade. Unfortunately,
> it did not come with a boot floppy. That seems pretty lame, since in the
> installation manual it says that if I am running an Intel based system,
> which I am, then I will need to use a boot floppy. Well, I had a boot
> floppy from my previous install of RedHat 5.0, so I though that I would
> "get lucky". BIG mistake. I got through most of the install but it died
> at the point where it has to install the boot loader. I can still boot
> up but none of the Xwindows functions work, I suspect because the video
> drivers were improperly set.
>
> Does anyone know whewre I can get a boot floppy for RedHat 6.0 and try
> this whole thing again?
>
> Thanks
> Tom
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The installation floppy may be copied from the RH6.0 CD using rawwrite.exe
under Windows or DOS or using dd with Linux.  It is in the images
subdirectory.
You may also be able to set your BIOS to boot from the CD in which case
you don't need the boot floppy.

If you go through it again and choose upgrade again,  there is a good
chance that
it will all work.   In one of our upgrades, we experienced some sort of
problem part way through and the upgrade was terminated.   We then
did it over again and it all worked.   Since the upgrade is done by a
version of Linux copied from the installation media and put in
memory---running off a ram disk---if you partial installation is
in reasonably good shape, the upgrade will probably succeed.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: John Assalone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Sound & video card
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:29:17 -0400

Hi all,
        I'm considering whether or not to buy a matrox millenium G400 or stick
with my Mystique G200/Monster3d 2. Does anyone know of the status/extent
of linux support for this card?

        on a different note (and a different machine)...
        I have a Dell Dimension V400 as my work PC. It has an integrated audio
chip (Yamaha DS/XG), however i can't find anything more specific than
this on either Dell's or Yamaha's websites. So my sound doesn't work,
which really sucks because i have to listen to my co-workers odd musical
selections throughout the day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: f00f_bug , core bomb and Esound error
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:56:15 -0700

Hi!

[...]

Jimmy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin O' Gorman)
Subject: Re: Does Linux erase memory before giving it to a process?
Date: 13 Jul 1999 14:44:24 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
>Does Linux clear memory blocks before granting processes access to
>them? In other words. Does a program that works with sensitive data
>have to clear all its memory blocks before terminating to eliminate
>the possibility of another process getting a previously used memory
>block that still contains passwords etc.
>In a situation where many people use the same computer (e.g. a
>University's computer room) this might be a real issue. I don't want
>strange people to catch fragments of my emails just by doing a bunch
>of mallocs an then scanning the memory blocks. MSB

In most memory management systems, pages are zeroed[1] before being marked
as free and made available to other processes. I'd presume this is the
same for Linux. One place that probably has this info is the book
The Linux Kernel, available at least in Postscript from your favourite
Linux Documentation Project mirror.

K.
-
[1]Just as it sounds, to be overwritten with all zeroes.
--
"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong
 figures, will the right answers come out?"

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux install problem
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:17:17 -0500

Arie Gerszt wrote:

> Linux installation problem
>
> Hi there
>
> As I am a LINUX fan I wanted to install RedHat 6.0 on my system, which I
>
> use for various applications. I have to run WinNT on it, because there
> are some specific software tools which I need. In my system, there is a
> 17 GB IDE disk (primary master), and a IDE cdrom (sec, master). My
> partition
> table looks as follows:
>
>  1. Primary (C) 0-1004
>  2. free  1004-2500
>  3.   data  2500-6500
>  4. progs  6500-8500
>  5. free  8500-17000
>
> This numbers are not the cyls! They indicate the partition lengths. So
> my first partition is 1004 MB, the second 1496 MB and so on. I attempted
>
> to install LINUX on the freespace in slice 2, the installation got on
> well
> untill .... LILO tried to write the bootsector in the first few bytes of
>
> the partition (MBR is owned by NT Boot Loader). LILO failed to write the
>
> bootsector. So I could not finish the installation procedure :-(
>
> What I would have done, if it worked, would be to copy out the bootsec
> of LINUX if dd and put it into NT Boot Loader. I have done this several
> times but with much smaller disks. Never any problems. LINUX is such a
> great OS, why is there this problem (1024 limit?) and what can I do, are
>
> there how-tos, faqs or any other advises for such an installation?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> arie
>
> student
>
> ps. pls reply to email

You could have a problem if you can't intall the Linux kernel
below the cyllinder 1023.   But it does not seem likely from your
description that this is the problem since 1024 Meg should
not be above that limit.    Find out where the cylinders are.
Then if you can't get your entire root partition below it,
use a separate partition for /boot.  Under RH6.0,  using
such a partition is standard.  A small---say 50 Meg or
lesss---partition will suffice.   How to do this should be
clear during the installation process.  In particular, you
can use fdisk to create the partitions and then later
tell what you want mounted on which partition.

As far as booting, I would recommend avoiding the
use of the NT boot loader to load Linux since it is
a pain to set this up again each time you upgrade.
Instead,  put lilo in the same partition as the kernel,
i.e., root or boot as the case may be.   You do this
by picking the appropriate first line in lilo.conf
boot=...
If you are using extended and logical partitions,
you might have to pick the extended partition
containing the logical partitions instead.
You may not be able to do this during the install
(unless you can manage to fiddle using expert
mode somehow) since the default choices for
lilo are the master boot record (which you don't
want to use since it may confuse NT) or boot
or root which because of the extended partiton
issue may be wrong.   But you can fix this after
installation by using the boot disk created during
installation and running lilo again after modifying
lilo.conf appropriately.   However, one additional
important step is required.   You have to set the
active partition to wherever you put lilo.  You
can do this during installation by using fdisk,
but if something goes wrong you won't be able
to boot NT.   (This can be repaired by copying
the copy of the original boot sector lilo puts
in /boot back to the first sector of the hard disk.
Or you can run the dos command fdisk /mbr
from a floppy, or do the equivalent thing using
tools provided on the NT CD.)   Another
alternative would be to use the rescue mode
of the bootdisk and then change the active
partition using fdisk.  And of course if it
doesn't work you can also change it back.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 6.0 Prob w/ USR Video Modem
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:40:49 -0500

"Elliott & Britt Engineering, PA" wrote:

> I have set up this modem with isapnp and setserial but I get the message
> "modem not responding" when I use Kppp to querey it.  I have it set up
> on ttyS2, irq 5 port 0x0110.  These are settings I got from windows, so
> i guess they are correct.  Can anyone please offer me some suggestions
> on where to go from here?  Is this modem even supported??
>
> Thanks,
> David

You may have an interrupt conflict.  Check the file isapnp.conf
carefully as well as conf.modules.  Also do
more /proc/interrupts
although this is not always reliable.

I had a similar problem with a USR Sportster internal modem.
I had run sndconfig to configure my sound card.  Apparently
my modem was installed by the vendor so that it was not
a PNP device (by jumpers).   But sndconfig which did
a scan of PNP devices still found it.  It attempted to set
up interrupts which were not consistent with the BIOS
interrupt (3) for COM2 where the modem was.

Windows can also set interrupts on aPNP device so
you can't be sure the Windows setting is right under
Linux.   But if it is at ttyS2 which is COM3, the
usual interrupt is often 4.   You should run your
BIOS setup utility (obtained usually by pressing
Del or an F key at booting).   You may then be able
to see what the BIOS thinks the interrupt should
be.

It is also possible there is a conflict in IO addresses.
You can do
more /proc/ioports
but again it may not be too helpful.

I have been told by Tech support at VA Research
that isapnp configuration can be buggy.   Apparently
it doesn't deal with all possible contingencies so
it can result in conflicts in the use of resources.

You might also try removing /etc/isapnp.conf
entirely and seeing what happens.   Finally,
use dmesg to see what the interrupts the
serial ports have at booting.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin,alt.windows95,alt.windows98,comp.os.ms-windows.nt
Subject: Re: Why is Microsoft so greedy???
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:38:05 -0700

Thank You Bill, this is what I needed.

As for "incompetence", "lack of skills" and all of the other various
flames I received, this is another reason why I steer away from
Microsoft.  The type of people it generally attracts are bigots with an
ego bigger than they deserve.  I realize that I may not be super master
over NT networks and I acknowledge it without quorum.  I primarily come
from a UNIX/Linux background having worked with those OS's for the past
4-5 years.  Unfortunately, most companies incorporate some Microsoft
systems into their networks and therefore it requires to know a little
about those as well.

In my experience with receiving assistance in newsgroups chat etc., I
have found that Microsoft groups instantly find some sort of appeal to
flame no matter how the question is put whether it be nice or slightly
irate.  When I have posted to UNIX/Linux groups I have never received a
flame despite how moronic my question may sound.  Conduct seems to
always be conducted with tact in the UNIX world and in addition with a
humble tone.  I like that better than, "your must be stupid, duh".  That
sounds like a 12 year old child.  Anyway, perhaps I was deserving of
some of those flames as my original note was a little irate.

On behalf of linux, I do not appeal to it due to media hype.  It has
been and still is my choice of operating system.  In my experience of
working with linux, it doesn't crash, viruses are not capable of doing
much more harm than to specific users (i.e. a virus can't destroy the
entire machine) and it runs smoother overall.  (The smoother part I
notice when I dual boot an NT machine with Linux...linux just works
smoother.)  As for configuration of linux, yes I suppose it does take a
little more effort on the users behalf, but the outcome is that person
becomes much more intimate with the hardware and system overall.  That
in itself is an interesting benefit.  In addition, there are tons of
online free information about howto do a variety of things including
configuration.  Trying to find free resources like that for the
Microsoft world is virtually impossible, though I have found a couple.
I definitely don't want to spend $50+ on a book for every topic on NT
that I care or need to know about.

But none of these things are really the reason why my choice goes with
linux.  It is purely for the freedom linux offers me.  It is the goal
and belief of the originator of linux that all people should be able to
use computers freely.  This includes operating system, software and if
the dream prevails hardware (but that's a big stretch).  I mean should
computers really be available to those who can "afford" it?  Knowledge
and knowledge aids should be free and available for everyone so that our
entire society world wide can evolve into a higher caliber of persons.
This is the dream that linux offers.  It's more than an "OS war" it's a
struggle for freedom and the freedom is over something that once was
thought could never be taken away or sold...knowledge.

Well, that's enough.  Forgive for my preaching.  In closing, if anyone's
interesting there is a cute little story I found on the net.  Perhaps
you might want to read it.  Here's the think:

http://chrisworth.com/oddments/the_microsoft_matrix.html

Again, thanks for any help or information that was conferred in this
thread.