Linux-Misc Digest #32, Volume #28                 Mon, 4 Jun 01 23:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: A plea to those posting questions (Steve Lamb)
  Re: gcc 2.96 and Mandrake 8.0 (Ish Rattan)
  Re: LCD Active Matrix laptop display and Xwin problems. ("Sinistar")
  Re: I need a really small distro for an old puter ("The Martian")
  Re: Source Code for file Command (Frank Ranner)
  Re: seeking Windows & Linux compatible email client (Robert_L)
  Re: I need a really small distro for an old puter ([BeoWulf])
  Re: seeking Windows & Linux compatible email client (Robert_L)
  Re: Ftape Dead in 2.4 Level Kernels? (Bob Hauck)
  RH 7.1 disk and gmc corruption ("Jeff S")
  Re: AOL ("Donald E. Stidwell")
  Re: Request for research ("Perry")
  Re: netscape and cache (The Real Bev)
  ssh client for Win9X? (Aaron Brice)
  Re: Move a large file from Windows to Linux - How? (Erik Max Francis)
  Re: how to connect to internet in non-X ("NG_lurker " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: In Linux, how can I read CDRW data store at Win2k? ("Jason")
  Re: make chmod 666 default for a dir ("Jason")
  Re: AOL ("David Emmett")
  Re: Open ports seen with nmap - Security risk? (David Efflandt)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb)
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: A plea to those posting questions
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 00:19:04 -0000

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 18:25:00 -0500, Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>So here is my plea.  If you are asking for help, please don't make it  more
>difficult for someone to respond by messing up your address.  If that is too
>difficult for you, then put a comment in your posting that you don't want
>mail sent to you and responses to the newsgroup will suffice.

    How about just not mailing the response?  Common theme on most newsgroups
that if someone asks a question on the newsgroup they can return to read the
replies there.  If I ever ask a question I certainly am not going to undo my
spam protection nor will I point out that I don't want an email.  I never
asked for the darned thing in the first place.

===============================+=============================================

------------------------------

From: Ish Rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gcc 2.96 and Mandrake 8.0
Date: 4 Jun 2001 20:32:23 -0500

Sud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,

> I came across this information about how gcc 2.96 is not an official
> release and would not recommeded in a production enviro.
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html

> well, i checked the gcc version on my Mandrake 8.0 box and sure enuf it was
> version 2.96. wuold you suggest that i install the recommended(by gnu gcc)
> version 2.95.2. if so what are the steps to do that.

Download the sources and reade the README and INSTALL files..

- ishwar

------------------------------

From: "Sinistar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: LCD Active Matrix laptop display and Xwin problems.
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 00:41:47 GMT

"LRW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:F8MS6.725$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi all.
> Well, putting Slackware 7.1 (which I believe is xfree86 3.3.x) on my
laptop.
> All is good except the setup of Xwin.

> It's an old Toshiba T4850CT with a 640x480x64K TFT-LCD. The installed card
> database has a few Toshibas mentioned, but not this one. All of them use
> SVGA server anyway.
> So in any case, has anyone gotten it to work on an older laptop?
> Particularly something close to this model? I'd LOVE to be able to see the
> bottom third of your XF86Config!
> Thanks for any help. =)

Give this page a shot and see if the X-Window config info helps your
situation:

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~gerhardb/linux/LINUXT4600.htm

-- Trav

------------------------------

From: "The Martian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need a really small distro for an old puter
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,aus.computers.linux
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 01:14:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Riffraff"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Martian wrote:
>
>> I actually got redhat 5 to run on a IBM PS/2 55sx, that things a
>> 386-sx16, with 8mb and a 120MB disk.
>>
>> This was years ago, so excuse my memory :-)
>>
>> The install was a real pig to do, I had to do a custom install and
>> select nothing, in the packages selection screen. Also needed was a
>> kernel recompile, to remove almost everything. I did the kernel
>> recompile on another machine as this thing had no space for the kernel
>> source.
>
> I've got an old Gateway Nomad with 4MB.  I suspect Linux on this one
> would be damn near impossible, yes?
>
> Oh well, it's about worthless anyway...  :-/

Now there's a challenge :-)

--
David
Sydney, Australia

------------------------------

From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Source Code for file Command
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 11:29:22 +1000

Mike Dean wrote:

> I'm attempting to find the latest source code for the file command.  The
> Availability section of the man page for file(1) says

If you are using an rpm based system like redhat:

$ rpm -qi file
Name        : file                         Relocations: /usr
Version     : 3.28                              Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 2                             Build Date: Thu Feb 17
12:04:11 2000
Install date: Wed Jun  7 21:12:55 2000      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/File             Source RPM:
file-3.28-2.src.rpm
Size        : 209337                           License: distributable
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : A utility for determining file types.
Description :
The file command is used to identify a particular file according to the
type of data contained by the file.  File can identify many different
file types, including ELF binaries, system libraries, RPM packages, and
different graphics formats.

You should install the file package, since the file command is such a
useful utility.
===========
>From the above you gat an rpm source filename, which you could find on
Redhats ftp site. BTW my system is rh 6.2 so the name is probably
different now.

Frank

------------------------------

From: Robert_L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: seeking Windows & Linux compatible email client
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:31:54 -0400

Doctor X wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I enjoy a triple-boot environment on my laptop: Linux, Win2K, and
> Win98.  I would like to have access to my offline email no matter which
> environment I boot to.  I thought that Netscape 4.77 would be the
> answer, I thought I could just point each O/S's Netscape to the same set
> of mail files, and it works fine between the two versions of Windows,
> but apparently the Linux version stores mail differently because they
> mail folders do not show up properly and I can not access the emails
> inside them.
>
> Can anyone recommend an email client which I can use across these 3
> platforms on the SAME set of offline (downloaded) email folders?
>
> Thanks, and please note that my return address must be modified to work.
>

> JJ

This is not quite as transparent a solution as what you are looking for, but
kmail has a mail import utility ("kmailcvt" on command line or in the
networking--->mail menu in kde).  I pointed it at
/mnt/win_c/windows/"Application
Data"/Identities/some_long_string/Microsoft/"Outlook Express"
and it imported all my mail and news, including a lot of newsgroup stuff I
didn't want.  They were all then available to kmailmail.
There are a ton of error messages you have to keep clicking ok on, but it gets
the job done.
I don't use it anymore though, I just setup a text editor to open the mime
types for mail and news and wade though all the headers, as I'm not using
Mozilla. (actually not using windows since I finally have an ISP for Linux.)
Probably an easier way than either of these that someone might know.
HTH
Robert_L
--
Registered Linux user #214645
remove spamfree when replying directly

------------------------------

From: [BeoWulf] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,aus.computers.linux
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 01:37:14 GMT

As I glanced into the mist, I noticed the sound of a whispering voice.  I=
t=20
appeared to be originating from the whereabouts of John Thompson, and the=
=20
voice seemed to be saying  :

> William Burrow wrote:
> =20
> > On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:53:52 GMT in comp.os.linux.misc,
> > Missy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >I have a PS/2 56 or 57 made in 1992 with OS/2 currently on it. I kno=
> > >nothing about OS/2, nor really want it. I got this puter to put Linu=
> > >on [...]
> =20
> > Hmm, my memory is lousy, but weren't the 50 series PS/2s 286s?  Or is
> > this a 386sx-16?
>=20
> If it has OS/2 installed it would have to be at least a 386...

Not necessarily ,John...  The very first versions of OS/2 (being 1.0 to=20
1.32) were 16-bit protected mode based (unlike Windows, which was 16-bit=20
DPMI [1] on 16-bit real mode (DOS)).  They were designed to be running on=
=20
the 286-generation of processors.  IBM only switched to a 32-bit kernel i=
n=20
1991, when they released OS/2 2.0 (I've used it on a Brother 386).

Still, not all 5x series PS/2 models were 286-based.  The 55sx model for=20
instance had a 386sx CPU.  And latter models may have had more powerful=20
processors as well.  What I do remember from that generation of desktop=20
computers, is that they were sold for almost as much as a car down here..=
=2E=20
:-)

[1] DPMI =3D DOS Protected Mode Interface.  Only used for memory allocati=
on,=20
not for the actual processing.  Offered more possibilities than XMS and E=
MS.

--=20

With sincere regards,
[BeoWulf].

------------------------------

From: Robert_L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:37:33 -0400

Robert_L wrote:

> Doctor X wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I enjoy a triple-boot environment on my laptop: Linux, Win2K, and
>> Win98.  I would like to have access to my offline email no matter which
>> environment I boot to.  I thought that Netscape 4.77 would be the
>> answer, I thought I could just point each O/S's Netscape to the same set
>> of mail files, and it works fine between the two versions of Windows,
>> but apparently the Linux version stores mail differently because they
>> mail folders do not show up properly and I can not access the emails
>> inside them.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend an email client which I can use across these 3
>> platforms on the SAME set of offline (downloaded) email folders?
>>
>> Thanks, and please note that my return address must be modified to work.
>>

>> JJ
>>

> This is not quite as transparent a solution as what you are looking for, but
> kmail has a mail import utility ("kmailcvt" on command line or in the
> networking--->mail menu in kde).  I pointed it at
> /mnt/win_c/windows/"Application
> Data"/Identities/some_long_string/Microsoft/"Outlook Express"
> and it imported all my mail and news, including a lot of newsgroup stuff I
> didn't want.  They were all then available to kmailmail.
> There are a ton of error messages you have to keep clicking ok on, but it gets
> the job done.
> I don't use it anymore though, I just setup a text editor to open the mime
> types for mail and news and wade though all the headers, as I'm not using
> Mozilla. (actually not using windows since I finally have an ISP for Linux.)
> Probably an easier way than either of these that someone might know.
> HTH
> Robert_L

Oops, remove the line " as I'm not using Mozilla".  Didn't clean this up from
my first go very well.  (originally thought the import utility was in Mozilla)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Ftape Dead in 2.4 Level Kernels?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 01:44:08 GMT

Have you tried: <http://www.instmath.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/>?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Jeff S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH 7.1 disk and gmc corruption
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 20:18:11 -0600

Hello,

Ever since I installed Red Hat 7.1 I've been running into disk corruption
problems. Also, /usr/bin/gmc keeps getting trashed and frequently so do
some of the icons it uses. Haven't changed any hardware recently, and all
has been working fine with RH5.2, 6.x and 7.0. In the midst of these
problems, sometimes fsck reports numerous disk problems--usually about
inodes (lots of them!) and such, but not always.

What I've tried thus far:
-Not using my root account (still have the same problems) -Using the RH
installer to wipe the disk clean, verify blocks and repartition, then
doing clean workstation-class install.

So far nothing seems to have any lasting effect. Is anyone else seeing
these problems or is it time for me to get a new hard disk?

Jeff S

------------------------------

From: "Donald E. Stidwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AOL
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:22:50 -0400

No need to feel embarassed - whatever works for you is good for you.

That said, I'm almost positive that AOL cannot work with any OS other than
Windows. They use proprietary stuff that requires Windows to work. The same
is true for the (once) free ISPs like Blue Light, NetZero, Juno, etc.

If you're going to take the plunge into Linux (or any non-MS operating
system) then you'll need  a "normal" ISP like Earthlink, AT&T Worldnet or a
good local ISP.

Don

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98,alt.windows-me
Subject: Re: Request for research
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 03:24:01 +0100

Sic;
>"Please let me know if you are for or against this research effort".<
????????
"Willing to assist with"; "Willing to participate in", but what does this
(above) mean?
Newsgroups are a mobile feast in terms of purpose and effectiveness.
Sometimes the flow of technical information is interrupted by the need to
chide an ignorant or abusive individual. Sometimes it is interrupted by the
bumping together of massive hot-air-balloon like egos. Often by a pause for
a little humour. Of such things is composed the day to day dealings between
people.
What would be the purpose of a register such as the one which you suggest?
To produce some abstracted figures; "86% semi-satisfied on a Thursday",
etc.?
That's going to be really useful.
Could you please expand on the project a little?

------------------------------

From: The Real Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape and cache
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 19:38:29 -0700

Juergen Heinzl wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, faeychyld wrote:
> >bowman wrote:
> >>
> >> "faeychyld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> all sites? you can set the expiration date on a page so it will (hopefully)
> >> reload everytime, and this is done quite often for pages with changing
> >> content.

Sick, unless you and all the sites you visit have T1+ lines!

> >Nope! all sites. This is immediate.
> >
> >Surely if I connect to a site, then click on
> >a link, read the link page then click on "back"
> >to return to the previous page, it should
> >load from the cache and not reload from the
> >net.
> >
> >But it does not, I can watch the progress indicator
> >on the corner of the window displaying the download
> >including infuriatingly "stalled ".

This is the normal condition.  You expected something else?  There are only
two conditions:  "stalled" and Document:Done.  Feh.

> >What use is the cache?

Sops up all that excess disk space, what else?  God forbid you should use
less than 100% of your available HD space!

<rant>
Even when you tell it that you want a 0-length cache, it chugs along
happily filling up space.  Then when you tell it to empty the cache, it
doesn't do it -- you have to delete the damn /cache subdirectory yourself.
I hate liars!  </rant>

> [-]
> It's caching pages of course ;) It works fine for me, actually
> but I've never tried what NS is doing if ...
> "Document in cache is compared to document on network"
> ... is set to ...
> "Every time"
> ... instead of ...
> "Once per session".

I have it set to NEVER.  I just have to remember to reload from the server
when I need to do it.

Sometimes you can speed things up by using junkbuster, but I usually end up
turning it off for one reason or another.

Has anybody else noticed a significant slowdown in the last few weeks?
Doesn't seem possible, but...

Bev
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I remember when everybody posted to Usenet with their real, deliverable
e-mail address. Of all the sins committed by the spammers, destroying
the viability of the open Internet was the worst.
               (Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, news.admin.net-abuse.email)

------------------------------

From: Aaron Brice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ssh client for Win9X?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 02:39:50 GMT

I want to use ssh instead of telnet, but is there a nice free ssh client
for Win9X?  Security is important to me, but it's not worth $50..  :)

Also, if I'm connecting across my home lan which is also connected to a
cable modem, between two computers that are on the same subnet, can
someone on the internet still sniff the packets?

------------------------------

From: Erik Max Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Move a large file from Windows to Linux - How?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 19:32:13 -0700

Leonard Evens wrote:

> Several people have suggested this, but it seems crazy to me.
> For a one time use, I would think using split, as one person
> suggested, would be the easiest way.  I've done this with very
> large files using just two or three floppies.

It really depends on the quantity of data that needs to be moved.  If
it's a few megs, fine.  If it's hundreds of megs, using floppies as the
transfer mechanism starts to look less and less attractive.

--
 Erik Max Francis / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ You can't expect to win unless you know why you lose.

------------------------------

From: "NG_lurker <remove AT from email address when replying>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to connect to internet in non-X
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 05:46:09 +0300

hi jay,

no help with Xconfigurator even by adjusting the horizontal and vertical
refresh rats. still have this wretched windows flying all over!!! i plan to
get these tarball updates from XFree86 website and hope to get lucky. will
keep in touch. cheers!

NG_lurker

news:pcwS6.2393$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: In Linux, how can I read CDRW data store at Win2k?
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:56:12 -0500

Sounds like a bad CDRom to me.   try it on a friends Linux box, a Windows
machine, or with a different CDROM.

--
                        Jason
       www.cyborgworkshop.com

------------------------------

From: "Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: make chmod 666 default for a dir
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:58:45 -0500

Sure thing.  You need to research a command called umask.

From: "David Emmett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:46:42 +1000

I believe AOL does not support Linux (at least in Australia).

Cheers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Open ports seen with nmap - Security risk?
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 03:01:50 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 07:23:36 GMT, Mordak <linux*NO-SPAM*5150@.yahoo.com> wrote:
> I ran nmap on one of my machines that is running a SuSE personal firewall
> with "reject all connections" at eth0 setup.
>
> Here's the outcome:
> Port       State       Service
> 22/tcp     open        ssh
> 37/tcp     open        time
> 515/tcp    open        printer
> 6000/tcp   open        X11
> 32768/tcp  open        unknown
>
> 1) How do I turn off the time at port 37? or should I worry.
> 2) Why is the printer listening at port 515 and is this a security risk?
> 3) What would be listining at port 32768 or how would I figure that out?
> Thanks for any help,
> Mordak

If you ran nmap locally it may find open ports that are not really open to
the outside.  If you are trying to block everything on eth0, you should
check it by running nmap from another box on eth0 pointing to this eth0
IP.

In other words if eth0 points to the internet, scan your box from the
internet or do a web search for "port scan" and find a website that can do
it.  I am using the /etc/rc.config.d/firewall.rc.config instead of the
personal firewall, and all such a scan found open was ssh and smtp, which
is all that I allowed.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/