From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Howard Arons)
Subject: PS/2 IntelliMouse Protocol Errors
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:16:56 -0000

I have a Microsoft PS/2 Intellimouse. In console mode I use gpm with
"-t imps2". The mouse works fine, but /var/log/messages contains *dozens* of
"Protocol Error" messages from gpm. The same if I use type ps/2.

How can I fix this? I tried the "-V-1" arg but still get plenty of messages.

TIA,
Howard A
--
Powered by SuSE Linux 6.3 -- Kernel 2.2.18
News Reader slrn 0.9.5.7

------------------------------

From: "Draygo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail,alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: SuSE 6.3: sendmail: outgoing OK & incoming fails
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:18:49 -0800

When you send out mail who is it coming from? Does it come from
[EMAIL PROTECTED]? or [EMAIL PROTECTED]?
news:95f8c1$mfj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 5 Feb 2001 19:19:27 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
:>
:> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> > John Hasler wrote:
:> >>
:> >> Walt writes:
:> >> > The dictionary definition of "atheist" is, "one who denies the existence
:> >> > of God."
:> >>
:> >> Make that "_a_ dictionary definition": at best an approximation.  I (an
:> >> atheist) prefer this definition: "one who denies the existence of your
:> >> imaginary friend while not claiming to have one of his own".
:> >>
:> >> > That is definitely an active belief.
:> >>
:> >> "Does not believe" is not "believes not".
:>
:> > Geeze, you're as dogmatic as the people you deride.
:>
:> Uh, fella, this is as basic a piece of modal logic as one can get.
:>
:> You seem to be unaware of the logic of modalities like belief, proof,
:> necessity, obligation, and so on. Id normally direct you to the
:> library, but let's try ...
:>
:> Basically the logical operators "belief" and "not" do not commute, OK?
:> I gave you a clearer example of how that can happen using Goedels proof
:> operator ("prove not" != "not prove"), but the same goes for modal
:> operators like belief, obligation, and so on.
:>
:> Now you know what the subject area is called - it's an important and
:> large one - you can look it up.
:>
:> Peter

: There are only 3 positions to take on a proposition
: 1) Belief that the proposition is true.
: 2) "I don't know"
: 3) Belief that the proposition is not true.

: One cannot claim that one is neither (1) nor (2), and still TOTALLY
: without a belief.

You are right.  Too bad for your argument, though, that atheists
often *do* say (2), and your implication that all atheists say
they are not (1) and not (2) is false.  Firstly, knowlege and belief
are two seperate things.  Secondly, One can act as if something is
true whilst being honest and admitting that they don't really know it
is true.  Similarly one can admit that one doesn't *know* that god
doesn't exist, while still acing on the assumption that he doesn't,
as a default hypothesis.  (I'll leave the topic of *why* I think that
god not existing makes the best default hypothesis for a later
post, if you are interested.  However, simply taking a position as
a default hypothesis given a lack of evidence does not count as a
belief.)

[snip assinine sig]

------------------------------

From: "Armond Perretta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux for a Portable Dell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:25:55 +0500

In article <95mhsl$4ii$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Angel Belda"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>         Do you know if I am going to have any problem to install
>         RedHat 6.2
> with XWindow support.

There are a number of sites devoted entirely to this subject.  Do a
"Google" search and report back.

------------------------------

Subject: mkisofs - [order is changed]
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (K. B. Lee)
Date: 05 Feb 2001 12:28:44 -0600

Hello all,

I use mkisofs to make a copy of some mp3 files to a cd.
When the filenames are long, the program mkisofs makes temporary
filenames. In the process, it changes the order.
Consequently, the files written on a cd are physically in wrong order
and will be played in the wrong order.
Does anybody know how to fix this trouble? (I cannot change all the
filesnames which I get from napster. They are usually longer than
31 characters, and contains spaces).
Thanks in advance,
-KB

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Macintosh disk images in Linux / win9x ?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:34:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:52:40 +0100, Alexandros Sklavos
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >    does anybody know how mac diskette images can be created in Linux or
> >in Win95/98 ??
>
> 1) macintosh format disks can't be created w/ PC hardware, irregardless
> of the operating system.  They're CLV where there are more sectors on
> the outer tracks.
>
> 2) macintoshes since around '92 have been able to read/write pc format
> disks.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Not true at all. I have xhfs installed on my Linux box (Intel Pentium)
and can format, mount, read, and write to Mac formatted disks.

jamess
--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

------------------------------

From: Jim Clayson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help,microsoft.public.win95.networking
Subject: sharing modem connection on 2-pc network
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:45:52 +0000

Hi,

I have setup a minimal home network consisting of 2 pcs: 1 laptop and
1 desktop. I have win95 installed on the laptop and RH Linux 6.2
installed on the desktop. My modem is part of the pcmcia nic
card(D-Link DMF560TXcombo) which works from the
laptop(laptech/sager/kapok/clevo 862). My network is working
beautifully.

How can I setup the network to share the modem I have on the win95
box(laptop)? I want to be able to surf the net from my desktop at the
same time as my partner surfs from the laptop.

If I was able to get my modem working from linux(see earlier msg
entitled 'detected UART is odd: 16450 maybeio conflict?') I'd very
quickly give win95 a miss altogether and then I could use whatever X
display suited me at the time but I have hardware which is bordering
on ancient so I might be asking a bit too much to have this modem work
under linux..

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks
Jim

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:45:28 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: open_ssl question

Mark Hahn wrote:

> >> I have just installed open_ssl on my Redhat 6.0 system. Everything goes OK.
> >>
> >> But I don't really understand the background of  SSL except that it gives
> >> secure sockets. So I'm still wondering what certificates are and if they are
> >> really required for just running SSH. My real purpose is to just run SSH so
> >> I can tap into a Linux box securely over the internet.
>
> you can do ssh without ssl.
>
> >> QUESTIONS: If all I want is SSH do I have to fill in all of the certificate
> >> items in openssl.cnf? For example there is [CA_default],
>
> no.
>
> > perhaps you made a mistake or you are mixing things up, SSL and SSH are two
> > different things
>
> no, he's not as confused as you think: openssh requires an ssl
> implementation.  I have the impression this is for ssl2, though,
> since the old, non-open ssh didn't require an ssl implementation.

Hello,

you're right that you need the ssl libaries in case you want to compile openssh
./configure will show what is needed.

I just wrote as it seemed, that he thought, he could make a secure shell
connection with
SSL, you can run it with mod_ssl as https, use it as TSL for secure mailing, but
you can't
get a secure shell connection with it AFAIK!

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:18:46 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> :>
> :> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> > John Hasler wrote:
> :> >>
> :> >> Walt writes:
> :> >> > The dictionary definition of "atheist" is, "one who denies the existence
> :> >> > of God."
> :> >>
> :> >> Make that "_a_ dictionary definition": at best an approximation.  I (an
> :> >> atheist) prefer this definition: "one who denies the existence of your
> :> >> imaginary friend while not claiming to have one of his own".
> :> >>
> :> >> > That is definitely an active belief.
> :> >>
> :> >> "Does not believe" is not "believes not".
> :>
> :> > Geeze, you're as dogmatic as the people you deride.
> :>
> :> Uh, fella, this is as basic a piece of modal logic as one can get.
> :>
> :> You seem to be unaware of the logic of modalities like belief, proof,
> :> necessity, obligation, and so on. Id normally direct you to the
> :> library, but let's try ...
> :>
> :> Basically the logical operators "belief" and "not" do not commute, OK?
> :> I gave you a clearer example of how that can happen using Goedels proof
> :> operator ("prove not" != "not prove"), but the same goes for modal
> :> operators like belief, obligation, and so on.
> :>
> :> Now you know what the subject area is called - it's an important and
> :> large one - you can look it up.
> :>
> :> Peter
>
> : There are only 3 positions to take on a proposition
> : 1) Belief that the proposition is true.
> : 2) "I don't know"
> : 3) Belief that the proposition is not true.
>
> : One cannot claim that one is neither (1) nor (2), and still TOTALLY
> : without a belief.
>
> You are right.  Too bad for your argument, though, that atheists
> often *do* say (2), and your implication that all atheists say

Then they aren't atheists, they are agnostics.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Carl Kvanvig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compile from Micro soft access to Linux
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:30:05 -0000

Is there software that will compile a micro soft based access program into
linux?

From: Dirk Groeneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cant connect to sourceforge
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 22:32:13 +0100

Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> Dirk Groeneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> >> Could be anything, if you don't give  us one either!
> >> What do your logs show?
>
> > /var/log/messages sais nothing.
> > The console I left with startx shows something like this:
> > [proxy URL "" is malformed and therefore being ignored]*
> so your proxy is entered wrong for whatever service taht
> was related to.

There's only two places where you can enter a proxy, one for HTTP and one
for FTP. Both are correct, both work as long as no ssl is concerned.

And w3m, which uses the proxy (I can see that in the status line), doesn't
work either.

> > KSSL initialize
> > SSL initialized
> > SSL about to connect
> > KSSL connect
> > KSSL connect FAILED
> Fair enough. Mind you, I have never heard of KSSL. Have they got a
> broken ssl implementation? Is it even ready?

I don't know, but I think they wouldn't ship it if it didn't work. Their
website claims that konqueror fully supports SSL.

> >> What happens when you try it with lynx or netscape?
> > I have neither of them installed.
> Then install them, and try them.

I have never heard of lynx supporting SSL at all, so I don't see the point.
Netscape is quite another problem, I tried building current Milestone for
hours, it didn't work. I always got some parse error or missing includes or
whatever and was patching Makefiles just to get the next error some
directories later and got so pissed I decided to wait for the next
release.

> >> Do you have a http proxy set?
> > Yes, but I tried it without it and it doesn't work either.
> > The proxy is wwoffle, it is capable of ssl, it does work with windows.
> > *The proxy is set up in konqueror in Settings/Configure/Proxy. It works
> > for normal connections.
> Why are you using ssl? What happens without ssl?

I have to, or I couldn't see the button "log in without ssl" on sourceforge.

> >> Can you telnet to their port 80?
> > Yes, I can browse the whole page, logging in via SSL is what failes.
> > I just tried logging in to amazon, doesn't work either. I guess there's
> > something about my ssl.
> Perhaps you are running an incompatible or broken version.

I'm running the latest one. ssh (which uses openssl, doesn't it?) works
just fine...
I rebuilt openssl, which changed nothing. I checked out ./configure --help,
but found nothing that seemed like changing it would make sense.

> >> Is your identd running?
> > No.
> That could be a killer under many circumstances. Usually inetd
> launches identd when it has to. Try and ensure that it can when it has
> to.

I can't try that right now, but i will tomorrow.

> > The troubled PC is connected to an ethernet, it's ip is 192.168.100.1.
> > On
> That's not routable.  You know, that, I suppose.

You mean, SSL?
So why does it work with IE5, even when I switch off the proxy?

> > the very same ethernet there's the proxy server which is connected to
> > the internet using a ISDN line. It is set up for masquerading, the
> > ipchains table is as follows:
> > Chain forward (policy DENY):
> > target     prot opt     source                destination
> > ports
> > MASQ       all  ------  192.168.10.0/24       0.0.0.0/0             n/a
> > MASQ       all  ------  192.168.100.0/24      0.0.0.0/0             n/a
> > ACCEPT     all  ------  192.168.10.0/24       192.168.100.0/24      n/a
> > ACCEPT     all  ------  192.168.100.0/24      192.168.10.0/24       n/a
> Is that both ways?

It's automatically both ways.

> > This setup is doing well, I can even connect to hosts on the internet
> > with ssh.
> > The logs on the server show nothing.
> Not even a connect? Does netstat show a connect?

Yes, but only the first time. But that could also happen because he is
downloading the login page via http.

Dirk

------------------------------

From: Manatee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I setup an HP 842C printer?
Date: 5 Feb 2001 12:48:37 PDT

I am using Red Hat 6.1. And I cannot figure out how to setup my printer.
I've used printtool and tried using printers listed that seemed close to
the 842C but got no response from my printer.

I went to www.linuxprinting.org but do not understand what I need to do to
get this printer working.

Could someone explain in simple terms how I can get my printer working?

Thank you!

--

Manatee

------------------------------

From: Viv McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Emacs question
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:57:41 GMT

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:08:40 +0100, "Jan Vandesompele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I know there is a way to make emacs automatically organise the indentation
> in scripts and code you're editing. Does anyone know how you can do that?
> So for example:
> if(blahblah){ echo "Yes";echo "No";}
>
> becomes:
> if(blahblah){
>     echo "Yes";
>     echo "No";
> }

Emacs C-mode can indent individual lines properly (if you press TAB) but it won't
split that single line into multiple lines for you on its own.  You need to get the
'indent' program to help out.  Try marking the region you want to reindent, and typing
C-u M-| indent RET (that's escape-vertical-bar in there).  This will run 'indent' on
the
region and replace the region with its output.

HTH,

Glenn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris J/#6)
Subject: Re: Playstation port
Date: 5 Feb 2001 20:50:09 -0000

In article <zzrf6.75$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Patrick Glennon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>it would be cooler to port to Dreamcast, since the price on all the hardware
>has tanked with them no longer going to make them.....

You mean like:
        http://linuxdc.sourceforge.net/

Chris...

--
Chris Johnson            \  "If not for me then, do it for yourself. If not
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \  for then do it for the world." -- Stevie Nicks

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to check for process existence
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:38:25 -0800

OK, so I want to find out within my C program if process "foo" exists, and I
want to
do it efficiently.  Doing system("killall -0 foo") or popen("/bin/ps -e") takes
too long
(like 30ms).  I don't want to pay for execing a shell or starting a new process.

I could probably grovel around and find some old ps source, but I was hoping
someone
could just go "I've done this, here's the code".  Oh, and it needs to work on
Irix too.

Thanks a ton, anyone.

Tom Hahn
Pixar Animation Studios

------------------------------

From: "Aubrey Kilpatrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to install Red Hat 7.0 on ZIP+ drive
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:14:38 -0600

Hello,

I am trying to install Red Hat 7.0 on my Iomega ZIP+ 250MB parallel port
drive and need some help.

I have Slackware 7.0 setup and running on the same drive but I want to get
RH installed on it also.  Both of these installations are to be just a
minimum linux system setup.  No X-windows, etc.

Does anyone know if there are "boot" and "root" disk images available that
will let me boot the system and then install RH from the standard CDROM
disk?  Are there other methods that will work just as well?

Any help on this is much appreciated.

TIA,

aak