Linux-Misc Digest #269, Volume #21                Tue, 3 Aug 99 03:13:25 EDT

Contents:
  Software for slowing down music -- Linux! (Matt Garman)
  LUG in the Augusta, GA area (Brian Willis)
  Re: setenv command (Leonard Evens)
  Here is a cute one for Linux :) ("Scott MacDonald")
  Re: CIA assassinations (Lindoze 2000)
  Re: Just a suggestion... (Lindoze 2000)
  Re: 3dfx voodoo banshee ("Fred A. Miller")
  more applications for Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  more applications for Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: sendmail (Chris Mahmood)
  Fast clock under Linux ("Boisy G. Pitre")
  pls help: umount2: Devices or resource busy (S.T. Wong)
  Re: Just a suggestion... (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Betrieve for linux (Ken Williams)
  more applications for Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux driver for 3Com NIC: (Jonathan Wilson)
  Re: Warning! The eclipse approaches...                              {5.6b}
(Airbrush4u)
  Re: Help: Recall Last Command ("Duy D.")
  Re: helping the Third World (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Is Linux A Memory Hogging OS? ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: math.h problem (Joerg Faschingbauer)
  Re: mouse problem (Chin Yew Tuck)
  Re: What I think of linux. (Heeeeeeeez back!)
  Re: Fast clock under Linux (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: helping the Third World (Kenneth P. Turvey)
  Re: Fast clock under Linux (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: Using IDE controller card (Perry Pip)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Garman)
Crossposted-To: alt.guitar
Subject: Software for slowing down music -- Linux!
Date: 3 Aug 1999 03:57:34 GMT

Does anyone know of any software, either Linux native or something
that will compile on Linux, for slowing down music?  Preferably,
slowing down the music on an audio CD, but not changing the pitch of
the music (for learning songs).  Free software is, of course, most
preferable!

Thanks,
MG

--
Matt Garman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"And through the window in the wall

------------------------------

From: Brian Willis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LUG in the Augusta, GA area
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 19:47:23 GMT

All,

  If you are interested in joining the LUG in the Augusta, GA are,
please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thanks in advance.

Brian Willis
The CSRA LUG

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setenv command
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:43:08 -0500

theoddone33 wrote:

> I'm using redhat 6.0 and I don't have the "setenv" command.  I'd like to get
> it, since it's very convenient.  Does anyone know where I can download it,
> or is it buried in an rpm on the RH 6.0 cd?
>
> --
> theoddone33
> "These are not my pants" - Reese Roper
> AGQ2 Configs Page:
> http://www.quakefiles.com/agq2configs/
> Also visit:
> http://www.fiveironfrenzy.com
> To email, descramble the pig latin

Unless you specified otherwise, you would be using the bash
shell.   You set a variable by
VARNAME=whatever
and then you export it with
export VARNAME
so it becomes part of the environment.  (This is the same as
what was done in the original Bourne shell.)  You can do both
at once with
export VARNAME=whatever

Although setenv doesn't exist in bash, printenv does and
will list all your environmental variables, or if you give
it an argument, the value of one variable.

If you want to use setenv, you might consider changing your
shell to tcsh, for example.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Scott MacDonald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Here is a cute one for Linux :)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 01:16:05 -0300

Here is a cute one for Linux.

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come
to the airport.  They all go out on the runway and put the
plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what
kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump
on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again.
Then they push again, jump on again, and so on ...

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents
look and act exactly the same.  Every time you ask questions
about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't
need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done
for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colorful, with friendly stewards,
easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off.  After
about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning
whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes,
and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius
when it explodes.

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to
start their own airline.  They build the planes, ticket counters,
and pave the runways themselves.  They charge a small fee to
cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download
and print the ticket yourself.  When you board the plane, you
are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the
seat-HOWTO.html.  Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is
very comfortable, the plan leaves and arrives on time without
a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful.  You try to
tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but
all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

------------------------------

From: Lindoze 2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: CIA assassinations
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 00:15:09 -0400

are you guys feeling ok?
this is linux. you're not going to get too many responces.

--
Thank you for your valuable input. Your useful answers will benifit
other users as well.

##                                                    ##
## My Experiment                                      ##
## http://www.FusionPlant.com                         ##
##                                                    ##

From: Lindoze 2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just a suggestion...
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 00:22:49 -0400

"Heeeeeeeez back!" wrote:

> Jim McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Jeff Goodman wrote:
> > Good idea. Ww don't need this stuff. I don't know who administers this
> > group, but it should be possible to block postings from any of the
> > offenders' e-mail addresses.
>
> This is an unmoderated group.
> No-one "administers" it.

but-but-but-but?
where does all the old postings go?

From: "Fred A. Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3dfx voodoo banshee
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 23:56:26 -0400

John Burg wrote:

> Hello,
> I am considering a purchase of a 3dfx voodoo banshee AGP card for my linux
> system... I would appreciate hearing from people who already own such cards,
> regarding subjects such as what brands of boards work best with linux, how well
> they work, etc.

The Voodoo is supported in all NEW releases, but will be better supported in the
next release of "X," which will appear in the upcoming release of SuSE 6.2 on
Aug. 12.

Fred

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: more applications for Linux
Date: Mon,02 Aug 1999 23:42:54+2000

   Look at this web page to learn more about the best new applications

to run on Linux in 1999

           http://209.218.86.64/linux.html

   If you know someone who can be interested in that please tell him

or her about this web page.

   Thank you for your time.

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail
Date: 02 Aug 1999 19:46:52 -0700

Robert Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does any one know if it is possible to setup a cron job that would
> e-mail me a pgp encrypted file as an e-mail attachment every morning.
> If this is possible does anyone know how to use sendmail as a command
do you mean something like 'cat pgp_file | mail -s "Here's my file" foo@bar'?
-ckm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 01:22:35 -0500
From: "Boisy G. Pitre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fast clock under Linux

I'm running RedHat 6.0 on a 200MHz Pentium w/ MMX.  For some
inexplicable reason, the time clock on my system gains about an hour
every couple of days.  Where in Linux can I tweak a parameter to control
the software clock to run slower?  Does anyone have any other
suggestions for this phenomenon?

   http://www.newsfeeds.com       The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
======== Over 73,000 Newsgroups = Including  Dedicated  Binaries Servers =======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.T. Wong)
Subject: pls help: umount2: Devices or resource busy
Date: 3 Aug 1999 03:53:19 GMT

Hello,

We upgraded our PIIs from RH 5.0 to RH 6.0 (kernel 2.2.10) recently.  One of
them is NFS server that exports filesystems to the rest of RH PCs.  However,
the NFS server hangs up on shutdown each time with following error :

Unmounting file systems umount2: Devices or resource busy
umount: /dev/pts: device is busy

and we've to reboot the system manually.

Would anyone please help ?

Thanks a lot !
Regards,
ST Wong

--
S.T. Wong                           | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 02 Aug 1999 19:50:52 -0700

Jeff Goodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Can we take the large number of postings in this (already very busy)
> newsgroup that relate to communism, philosophy, name-calling, etc., and
> not at all to Linux, and move them to a more appropriate forum?  Just a
> suggestion...
what are you, some kind of pinko?  In my killfile for Linux, Unix, and
Perl related groups I have aol.com, hotmail.com, msn.com, yahoo.com,
and the mandatory *webtv*.  It does wonders for raising the
signal-to-noise ratio.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Williams)
Subject: Re: Betrieve for linux
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:16:15 GMT

In article <7o592a$h0v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christophe Zwecker) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>is there a server and/or clients for linux available ?

I did hear something was being done by the people who make it.  I forget
they're name.  Nothing yet I'm sure.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Wilson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux driver for 3Com NIC:
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:54:01 GMT

Are you sure these files work... As I have installed both on my Linux
server and it has problems.  It keeps getting an IRQ 0 for my NIC???

It's really odd.  As I've compile the module a couple of times in
different as described in the file and always get the same result.

Has anyone got it to work... and if so could you please tell me how,
or send me the *.c program you compiled.

Thanks,
Jonathan.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Airbrush4u)
Crossposted-To:
sci.geo.petroleum,sci.crypt,alt.pets.ferrets,alt.sport.bowling,comp.os.ms-windows.ce,soc.culture.europe,alt.prophecies.nostradamus,alt.catastrophism,alt.prophecies.cayce,alt.messianic,alt.atheism,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,sci.archaeology,alt.current-events.earth-changes
Subject: Re: Warning! The eclipse approaches...                              {5.6b}
Date: 03 Aug 1999 05:48:19 GMT

>That "monstriferous" Comet Lee will be seen during the
>solar eclipse this August 11th, followed by WWIII, the
>1300-meter "King of Terror" meteoroid impact before 10
>October 1999,....(Snip)

I want to hear a public apology by you on October 11th so that the world may
know that Nostrodamus was indeed a false prophet!!!

Mike V

------------------------------

From: "Duy D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Recall Last Command
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:25:24 +0000

"M. Cao" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you tell me how to customizing environment to recall last
> commands from the keyboard.
>
> If possible, I love to know in Korn, Bash, Csh and Bourne Shells.
>
> Thank you
> Minh

bash, tcsh, and zsh support this by default.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: helping the Third World
Date: 3 Aug 1999 01:55:33 -0400

On 3 Aug 1999 01:02:04 GMT, Joseph T. Adams wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>I must say that at least here in the U.S., there are plenty of people
>on the left (and elsewhere on the political spectrum) doing exactly
>that: running free medical and legal clinics, crisis pregnancy
>centers, job training programs, etc., often on their own dime and with
>no help from - in fact, sometimes opposed by - the better funded and
>organized political "charities" and "causes."

Oh, I'd certainly agree. I know a lot of them. They are great people.
But these people are driven by compassion, where as Richard seems to be
driven more by jealousy and hatred than anything else, as illustrated
by the ever-flowing stream of insults that obscure his arguments.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is Linux A Memory Hogging OS?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 00:10:37 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> Someone suggested that the temperature of the CPU increases as
> the CPU usage increases.  By his reasoning, the larger the idle
> time, the cooler the CPU will be.  How true is this?

I suspect it is true.  I built a system with an AMD K6-III-450 this
summer.  I consistently got signal 4 and signal 11 errors when compiling
big stuff like the kernel, WINE, and Mesa, which keep the CPU pegged out
at 100% almost continually for minutes at a time (according to a resource
usage meter I run on my desktop).  It turned out to be overheating: a
bigger CPU fan and some thermal grease made the problem disappear.

I never got the problem during less CPU-intensive operations, nor for
CPU-intensive operations that only lasted a few seconds.  The CPU was not
overheating except during long periods of high demand.  Ergo, more idle
--> less hot.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

p.s.  About a half dozen other people have reported the same problem on
c.o.l.hardware this summer, all running 400 or 450MHz AMDs.  If you buy
one, plan ahead and get a CPU fan slightly larger than the smallest one
you can find, and mount it with some thermal grease.

------------------------------

From: Joerg Faschingbauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c,gnu.gcc.help
Subject: Re: math.h problem
Date: 28 Jul 1999 10:44:22 +0200

"Dann Corbit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I found 800 DejaNews posts on -lm in news:comp.lang.c and 16000 on all
> Usenet technical groups.  It seems like there might be some kind of actual
> problem here...

If you consider that a problem I believe you never had one.

Joerg

------------------------------

From: Chin Yew Tuck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mouse problem
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 05:30:36 GMT

Charles Gilker wrote:
> You mouse is probabely not detected by the OS.  Look into the
> /var/log/bootlog file to see if you mouse is detected.  The /dev/mouse
> should be redirected to your com port.
>
> See under the "gpm" label...
>
> Regards,
> Charles
>
> Chin Yew Tuck a =E9crit:
> >=20
> > When I tried to start X window by typing "startx" , I got this error
msg:
> >=20
> > "Fatal server error:"
> >=20
> > "Cannot open mouse (Device or resource busy)"
> >=20
> > For your info, I'm using a Microsoft serial mouse at com1.
> >=20
> > Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
> >=20
> > regards
> >=20
> > Y T Chin
> >=20
> > ------------------  Posted via SearchLinux  ------------------
> >                   http://www.searchlinux.com
Hello,

My /dev/mouse is already directed to my com port 1.

If I try killing the gpm, it gives me the following msg:
"fatal error (shouldn't happen)"

If I type: "gpm"
I'll receive the following msg:
"gpm: /dev/mouse: Device or resource busy"

Thank you.

regards,
Y T Chin

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Heeeeeeeez back! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: What I think of linux.
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 04:15:24 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey, those blinking lights served a valuable function!  They made the computer
> spokesperson standing in front of them giving an interview look really
> important.  Almost as good as standing in front of those banks of tape drives.

Or the machine that goes *ping*....
:)
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a   |
|                           |graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc    |operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in             |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company,that|
|     Computer Science      |       can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fast clock under Linux
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 06:09:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Boisy G. Pitre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm running RedHat 6.0 on a 200MHz Pentium w/ MMX.  For some
> inexplicable reason, the time clock on my system gains about an hour
> every couple of days.  Where in Linux can I tweak a parameter to control
> the software clock to run slower?

Try to look into /etc/adjtime file. If the first number is bigger than
some hundred, then maybe this is not a correct file, so you can delete it.

This file checks the hardware clock and sets the software clock
in your system.

Read 'man hwclock', it gives explanation how to use it...

By the way: do you use any other operating systems on the same hardware ?
This may cause this problem...

--
Mihaly Gyulai
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gyulai/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Turvey)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:49:11 -0500

On 2 Aug 1999 16:08:31 -0600, Larry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Will these idiots never learn?
>Redistribution of wealth would cause a world wide financial collapse.

Wealth is already being redistributed in almost every reasonably
advanced economy.  It would be quite reasonable to argue that this
redistribution of wealth is necessary for the maintenance of stability
in society.

In our country (USA) we do this through transfer payments and a
progressive tax system.  There are other methods that might be better
(but I don't really want to get into all that).

>The rich and successful work as hard as they do TO BECOME RICH.
>If the opportunity to become rich is taken away, which redistribution would
>do, there would no longer be any reason for the successful to strive to
>achieve the wealth that they do. Thus a total monetary collapse, just like
>you see in Russia, Cuba and so on.

Without some redistribution of wealth eventually there will only be a
handful of very rich people and a multitude of virtual slaves.

>You dead beat fuckers need to understand that we have no intention of
>working just to support your lazy, dead asses. Redistribute wealth and we
>will stop producing it. Then when it's all spent up, you dead beats are
>left in the same boat you started out in.

Then why do you work at all?  Based on your argument an reduction in the
incentive to work is the same as having no incentive to work at all.
In fact you work despite paying taxes, for social security,
unemployment, and workers compensation insurance.  All of these reduce
your incentive to work (significantly).  Our economy is currently
undergoing a period of high growth and low inflation.  Empirical evidence
would seem to contradict you.  Your own decisions seem to contradict your
argument (assuming you are working and not one of the `dead beat fuckers'
you refer to).

>You may think your redistribution scheme is a grand idea, but the part you
>don't seem to understand is that the rich are not going to work to support
>you. Institute Socialism/communism world wide and make the entire world a
>third world. It's that simple.

Socialism is necessary in some industries, but the vast majority operate
better without it.  Look for problems with the current industry to make
the decision.

As far as transfer payments from the first world to the second or
third... well I think there are probably better alternatives.  Debt
relief for many third world countries would be a great help.  Convincing
the first world to refrain from using the IMF as a tool to open immature
foreign markets would be impossible, I'm afraid.

>Fucking leaches.

You do understand that part of the problem is that the first world is
sucking much of the wealth and productivity away from the third world
without reasonable compensation.  Maybe we are both leaches?

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
================= http://www.tranquility.net/~kturvey

  The world is full of fools and faint hearts; and yet everyone has
  courage enough to bear the misfortunes, and wisdom enough to manage
  the affairs, of his neighbor.  -- Benjamin Franklin

------------------------------

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 06:14:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Boisy G. Pitre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm running RedHat 6.0 on a 200MHz Pentium w/ MMX.  For some
> inexplicable reason, the time clock on my system gains about an hour
> every couple of days.  Where in Linux can I tweak a parameter to control
> the software clock to run slower?

You can look into /etc/adjtime file. If the first number is bigger than
some hundred, maybe it's a wrong file...

Read 'man hwclock' it gives explanation of the phenomenon and gives
some examples how to correct it...

If you use any other operating systems on the same hardware this may
also cause such problems...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using IDE controller card
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 06:14:03 GMT

On Tue, 03 Aug 1999 13:07:11 +1000, MTGL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have successfully installed Linux 5.2, NT4.0 and Win95 on a pc with a
>Promise Ultra controller card over 2 HDD's using a cdrom off the
>secondary controller (from the motherboard)....
>
>It looks like this..
>Promise Ultra DMA Controller:
>    hde1 - Linux native - / (800Mb)
>    hde2 - NTFS - NT (1000Mb)
>    hde3 - FAT32 - 95 (2000Mb)
>    hdf1 - Linux swap (130Mb)
>    hdf2 - FAT16 - Empty (680Mb)
>Intel controller (secondary port from motherboard)
>    cdrom
>
>After numerous adventures in partition creation and destruction by the
>various operating systems I have managed to get them all to live
>together happily.. more or less by not telling them too much about their
>neighbours.
>
>I have one more problem to solve however and I hope someone can help me
>out with it as I am out of ideas for the moment.
>
>Crucial to the process is the installation of LILO which I could install
>if I used the on-board controller (intel primary controller port on
>motherboard).  With the drives plugged into this controller they are
>recognised as hda and hdb and LILO installs without argument.  Then I
>plug the drives into the Promise controller and install the operating
>systems to their correct partitions.  Note that 95 is the only one that
>completely screwed up the MBR.  NT and 95 working successfully I then
>re-install Linux 5.2 using the Promise controller.. it has no problem
>with this but will not install LILO (drives are now hde and hdf).  This
>is not such a dilemma as the boot disk works fine and LILO boots the
>other o/ss' no problem.
>
>Obviously though I would rather have Linux working the same way.. my
>questions are..
>Is there a linux driver to get the Promise Ultra controller working with
>linux?
>Will Linux 6.0 eliminate this problem anyway?
>What manual changes could I make to convince Linux to work?
>(have already tried editing the fstab - there must be others I have
>missed)
>The error I get when trying to boot using LILO is this:
>VFS:Cannot open root device 03:01
>kernel panic: VFS:  unable to mount root fs on 03:01

If your boot disk works then your Linux is working fine with the promise
controller. Also, if LILO boots your kernel this far and other OS's as
well than lilo is working with your disk to.

But your kernel is nnot finding your root partition, /dev/hde1. Verify
that your lilo.conf has it properly configured with a correct root= line.
Something like:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hde1
        read-only

Also, your kernel may need an initrd to get promise support before loading
the root partition. In this case your need something like:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hde1
        initrd=/boot/initrd
        read-only

where /boot/initrd is made using the mkinitrd utility. See
`man mkinitrd` and `man lilo.conf`

Good luck,

Perry