Linux-Misc Digest #269, Volume #25               Sat, 29 Jul 00 04:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: .<'XVidTune'>. (David Efflandt)
  Re: Can I pass sockets between processes (David Efflandt)
  ANyone using Newlix? (Bob Korzeniowski)
  Re: ANyone using Newlix? (Bob Korzeniowski)
  Re: Oh no! ("Johnny Kitchens")
  Re: ftp over ssh (David Efflandt)
  corrupt partition? ("LeeRoy")
  Re: Handling Interrupts on LINUX (David Efflandt)
  Emergency boot floppy on SCSI system. Unable to create boot floppy with LS120's
("Magix news")
  Re: How to set hardware time correctly from shell? (David Efflandt)
  NFS Problem (Stephen Gilbert)
  Re: downloading ("kc")
  Re: printing rtf documents ("clear")
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (Christopher Browne)
  Re: ANyone using Newlix? (Christopher Browne)
  what to demo during a linux talk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (blowfish)
  Re: who is responsible for the cache? (brian moore)
  Re: What distro comes with a boot manager (not LILO) (Martin Skjöldebrand)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: .<'XVidTune'>.
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 05:19:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:30:04 GMT, N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>how do i run the 'xvidtune' command on corel linux delux cuz i am trying
>to adjust my screen size so i can see it all. i ran it in the run command
>and nothing happened. thanx

It is interactive.  You have to run it in an xterm or similar.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Can I pass sockets between processes
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 05:30:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:32:57 +0100, Gast Primus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi
>
>This is my problem I hope you can help.
>
>I have 3 processes A B and C running on a single processor. A writes to B
>via a socket, B reads the info and passes it on to C via a socket. Is it
>possible for B to pass A's socket to C  so they can read and write directly
>returning the socket to B when communication is over.
>
>References to books, man pages etc would be appreciated.

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do and whether it is on a tcp/ip
connection.  But if you type 'perldoc perlipc' in any terminal, it will
give you examples of sockets, pipes and fifos for inter process
communication (ipc).

--

Subject: ANyone using Newlix?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Korzeniowski)
Date: 28 Jul 2000 22:30:04 -0700

I am looking at purchasing a product called NEWLIX (www.newlix.com) which
is based on a linux kernal (v 2.0?)

Anyone using it or heard good or bad things about it?

Thanks!

Bob

------------------------------

Subject: Re: ANyone using Newlix?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Korzeniowski)
Date: 28 Jul 2000 22:31:11 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Korzeniowski) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I am looking at purchasing a product called NEWLIX (www.newlix.com) which
>is based on a linux kernal (v 2.0?)
>
>Anyone using it or heard good or bad things about it?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Bob

e-mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Johnny Kitchens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oh no!
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:38:18 -0400

My sentiments......exactly
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: ftp over ssh
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 05:41:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:24:43 +0800, Hello World <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i install ssh2 from www.ssh.fi in a linux box. as it supports ftp over ssl,
>i use the securefx software to do the ftp jobs. everything is ok. however,
>when i block the port 21 (normal ftp port), it stops to work. does the ftp
>over ssl requires port 21 to function? if i want to make sure my user use
>ftp over ssl, what should i do?

You might want to take a look at 'man scp' (or maybe it is scp2 for ssh2).
It allows you to copy files between systems, even between 2 systems other
than the one you are on.

From: "LeeRoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: corrupt partition?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 23:41:39 -0600

I ran fdisk /mbr from my win 98 startup disk.
I was trying to get rid of windows completely so I only have linux.
however when I try to boot my boot disk or something else I can't access my
partition anymore to reload lilo??
I can run fdisk see's everything fine.
I can run e2fsck it says everything is fine
but when I try to mount it I get this message

EXT2-fs: 03:01: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features.
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblick on /dev/hda1,
            or too many mounted file systems

How do I fix this?  any help greatly appreciated
If there is no other way then the last resort will the to reload from start
but I would rather not do that.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Handling Interrupts on LINUX
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 05:47:54 +0000 (UTC)

On 26 Jul 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've got an application which has an acquisition board (with 48 digital isolated
>inputs) that'll be used for sampling
>sensors status. This polling shall be done in every exact 2ms.
>I believe there's two possibilities to do so: 1) use the CPU clock to generate an
>interruption; and 2) to use the trigger interruption
>of the data acquisition board itself (but I don't know how to do Linux identify an
>interruption request in this situation).
>QUESTIONS:  1)Could you please help me if you know how can it be done?
>            2) Where shall I find relevant informations for that, such as a source
>code example or something like that???
>            3)Could you indicate me some good discussion list in order to find some
>valuable informations?

See: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/rtc.txt if you have kernel sources.

From: "Magix news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.newbie,linux.redhat.install,sg.linux
Subject: Emergency boot floppy on SCSI system. Unable to create boot floppy with
LS120's
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:07:32 +0800

Installed Linux the other day.
My system has no real floppy . IRQ 7 is free.
I use an LS120 on 1 IDE channel.
All my HD's are SCSI. Windows 2000 is on my primary partition and a few
other disks in extended partitions are NTFS 5.

This seemed to create my first problem. I could not create a boot floppy
using the Red Hat 6.2 installer. Hangs on create boot floppy.

I skipped the boot floppy creation, installed Linux with no other problems.
Did not install LILO.

I thought I would use the supplied red hat boot floppy disk.

I tried vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 at the lilo boot: prompt.
Seems to work but no SCSI driver is loaded.
So I get a VF failiure.

Any ideas how to get my AH2940 driver working and my machine to boot into
Linux.

Grahame

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to set hardware time correctly from shell?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 05:52:20 +0000 (UTC)

On 28 Jul 2000 10:31:00 -0700, Charlie Zender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thanks, rdate works as advertised and is much simpler to use than
>hwclock for my purposes.

You should still use hwclock (or setclock in RedHat) to set the hardware
clock/calendar so it will be correct when you reboot to that other OS.

From: Stephen Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NFS Problem
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:07:40 -0400

Ok, what the heck am I doing wrong?  I have 2 Linux machines, and I'm
just trying to NFS mount a directory from one to the other.  I have NFS
Server compiled into the kernel, I add the directory to /etc/exports.

# cat /etc/exportfs
/pipe (rw,no_root_squash)

I run /usr/sbin/exportfs

# /usr/sbin/exportfs
/pipe         <world>

I go to the other machine, and try to mount

# mount machine:/pipe /pipe
mount: RPC: Unable to receive: errno = Connection refused

Now, it looks like a permissions thing, but the dir should be open to
the world.  I try the same mount command from another machine (A Solaris
box) and receive

# mount machine:/pipe /pipe
nfs mount: machine:: RPC: Program not registered
nfs mount: retrying: /pipe

and it just retries etc.  Where have I gone wrong?

- Steve

------------------------------

From: "kc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: downloading
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:49:29 -0600

In article <8ls1mg$ak1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor
Brown) wrote:

> Hi:
>
> What I'm wondering is if I can download a Linux program in Windows to a file,
> and then access it in Linux later.  Will the program survive the translation
> process, or not?  If I have to have my internet access in Linux, then I'm
> going to have to spend some more money to get that to happen.  Right now I've
> got Juno, but they are MS Windows only.
>
> --
> Trevor

The file should survive perfectly well, at least I've never ran into a problem
doing it. All you have to do is mount the windoze partition from within Linux
and copy or move it over.

------------------------------

From: "clear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printing rtf documents
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 07:42:16 +0100

Thanks for responses so far, but........

The biggest problem I have is that I need a command line option (for
inclusion in a script) and I don't think this would be possible with
something like StarOffice - unless it's changed a lot since I last looked.

There seem to be plenty of ways to convert to rtf, but none which go the
other way. rtf2pcl or rtf2ps is what I'm looking for!

Thanks again,
steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 06:48:12 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when brian moore would say:
>On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:47:24 -0700,
> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Red Hat is a sinking ship?
>>
>> Red Hat's CFO is abandoning ship.
>
>Or he got a better offer.  Or he likes California more than North
>Carolina.. or lots of things.

Indeed.  And there _could_ have been something negative about RHAT.

Although it seems more likely that it would have something to do with
the fact that six months ago, the "startups" were looking exceedingly
good, and the stock market is now taking a dimmer view of them.  Which
doesn't forcibly have anything _direct_ to do with RHAT.

I seem to remember "Rasterman" moving to California because he
didn't like the nightlife in the Research Triangle, so there are
certainly reasons and to spare...

>> http://www.it-director.com/00-07-28-3.html
>
>Gads, you get business analysis from an IT trade rag?  That's akin to
>using Penthouse as a dating guide.
>
>Get a clue.

I once had a coworker who tried to impress people with jokes out
of Playboy.  The less-than-impressive part was that his family ran a
convenience store, and it was fairly evident that most of the things he
read were borrowed from the family newsstand.  Suffice it to say this
did _not_ impress the women in the office...
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/>
Mary had a little lambda

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 06:48:18 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Bob Korzeniowski would say:
>I am looking at purchasing a product called NEWLIX (www.newlix.com) which
>is based on a linux kernal (v 2.0?)
>
>Anyone using it or heard good or bad things about it?

I've heard very little about it, which does not bode well for its
credibility.

Entertainingly, while Linux supports things like SCSI devices,
the FAQ indicates that:
   "NewLix OfficeServer does not presently offer SCSI support
    as a feature."

Basically, what they've got is a customized variation of an old version of
Slackware (3.4), apparently with a limited set of "canned" device drivers.

They use Apache as a web server, but don't support SSL connections.

They seem to be trying to sell "server appliance" applications for
small businesses; it looks like they're trying to sell something
rather like the IBM WhistleJet, Encanto E.go, or Rebel Computing's
NetWinder, albeit without having their own hardware.

They claim it's all customizable, but I don't think it's terribly
maintainable.  If you've got enough Linux expertise around, _at all_,
you're likely to find it more satisfactory to install one of the
mainstream distributions on a "server PC" and get more functionality
out of the deal.

If you're on Baxter Road in Ottawa, next door to the Ottawa Citizen,
there may be merit to dealing with Newlix as nearby "experts."  If you're
_not_ nearby, then I suspect you'll find it more satisfactory to look
to whatever systems someone that is nearer to you is customizing.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/>
"What though the field be lost? / All is not lost; the unconquerable

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: what to demo during a linux talk
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 06:38:45 GMT

Hi all,

I am going to have a talk on Linux. The audience will be
the managers of some businesses in Macau. There will be
a live demo on Linux. I was wondering what kind of stuff
should I demonstrate? The Linux box will not be connected
to a network.

Thanks for any idea!

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:20:16 -0700

brian moore wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:47:24 -0700,
>  blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Red Hat is a sinking ship?
> >
> > Red Hat's CFO is abandoning ship.
>
> Or he got a better offer.  Or he likes California more than North
> Carolina.. or lots of things.
>
> > http://www.it-director.com/00-07-28-3.html
>
> Gads, you get business analysis from an IT trade rag?  That's akin to
> using Penthouse as a dating guide.

No.  Wall Street told me RH is a sinking ship.

Have you ever wonder why Bob Young dumped almost half of his shares of
RH right before
the RH shares hit below ground zero?

And why Bill Gates (yes, the Microsoft's CEO Gates.) filed at the FTC to
dump almost $500million worth of RH shares shartly after Bob Young
dumped his?

Why Bill Gates owns so much of RH? How much more RH shares Gates still
owns?

> Get a clue.

Vi messed up your head!?

I read WSJ, Barrons and Forbe for financial news.

- blowfish.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: who is responsible for the cache?
Date: 29 Jul 2000 07:22:44 GMT

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 06:17:50 -0400,
 Robert Schweikert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Schweikert wrote:
> >
> > >I've been fighting for a while now trying to build gcc-2.95.2 on RH6.2,
> > >no luck yet. I have a few leads, one is that the L2 cache is getting
> > >trashed. So I would like to find out who is responsible for the cache?
> > >Is it the kernel, some libraries in the distro or some mysterious black
> > >magic?
> >
> > AFAIK, it's the motherboard chipset.  Sounds like you've got hardware
> > problems to me.  Compiling something large (liek gcc or the kernel) puts a
> > lot of strain on memory, and I've had machines with flakey hardware that
> > seemed fine until I tried to compile something.  The symptoms of flakey RAM
> > or flakey cache are often random Sig-11's during compiles.  You CPU might
> > also be overheating -- check the CPU fan and make sure you're not
> > over-clocking anything.
>
> Hardware, I know that's what keeps poping up. I am not too convinced of that.

Well, if you're convinced of it being the L2 cache, then it -is-
hardware.

> I've tested a different memory stick and had the same problem.
> Unfortunately I can't turn of the L2 cache, but I might flash the
> bios and see if the new version lets me do that.  What keeps me from
> blasting the harware is that I have compiled gdb, Motif, and the
> kernel on this machine with no troubles what so ever.  This is of
> course enough to at least keep me guessing about the RH6.2 distro.

On 'modern' CPUs, the L2 cache is part of the CPU 'assembly'.  If it's
your cache that's being corrupted, then you will need to replace it: it
is not a dimm or simm "stick".  (Even with a plain old "Pentium" it
wasn't on a simm, it was usually a few static ram chips on the
motherboard: simms are dynamic ram, with an access speed slow enough to
make using them as a cache silly.)

--

Subject: Re: What distro comes with a boot manager (not LILO)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Skjöldebrand)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 07:37:07 GMT

John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Andrew Purugganan writes:
> > I'd like to know if any other distro comes with a bm shipped
>
> Debian provides GRUB as an alternative to Lilo.

As does Mandrake as of 7.1 it is even the default.

M.

--
Martin Skjöldebrand
[EMAIL PROTECTED]