Linux-Misc Digest #269, Volume #27                Fri, 2 Mar 01 13:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Unable to configure printer ("Darren Paxton")
  Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: LILO and second master hard-disk (Dustin Puryear)
  Unable to boot 2.4.2 ("Justin R. Smith")
  Re: pts/x ("Guennadi V. Liakhovetski")
  Printing files from LINUX using NT Print Services (Jess)
  Re: pts/x ("Guennadi V. Liakhovetski")
  NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out. ("Jason A. Smith")
  Re: Unable to boot 2.4.2 (Eggert Ehmke)
  Re:  Re: init fails (Justin Hibbits)
  Re: Unable to configure printer (Richard Kimber)
  Re: Unable to boot 2.4.2 ("Scot Mc Pherson")
  Re: compiling modules for a different kernel version? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Errors on booting during partition check ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to convert ps file to pdf file? (Carfield Yim)
  Re: How to convert ps file to pdf file? (Claus Atzenbeck)
  Re: toshiba laptop shuts off!
  Re: Linux freezes
  Re: How to convert ps file to pdf file? ("Guennadi V. Liakhovetski")
  Re: 1.2 Giga bytes source code - KDE 2.1, no impression. :( (Hun)
  Re: compiling modules for a different kernel version? (Krzys Majewski)
  Re: Unable to boot 2.4.2 (Sahan Amarasekera)
  ap_mm_create in kernal 2.4.1. (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
  Re: How to convert ps file to pdf file?
  Re: How to convert ps file to pdf file? ("repo")

From: "Darren Paxton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to configure printer
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:37:50 -0000

Silly question, but is the cups scheduler started??

Darren Paxton
IT & Network Support
Leonardo & Company
+44 141 400 9032
news:%gOn6.1460$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: source for basic utils like ftp/cp/mv... where?
Date: 2 Mar 2001 10:52:02 -0500

In article <jMJn6.5094$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:
> "Paul Kimoto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I don't believe there is a GNU ftp.

> Ofcourse there is.
> go to http://www.gnu.org and look!

By which I mean, an implementation of "ftp" maintained and released
by the FSF.

$ lftp ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ftp
cd: Access failed: 550 /gnu/ftp: No such file or directory

(lftp is a very nice, GPLed ftp client, but it does not come from
the FSF, and it does not behave like the traditional "ftp" program.)

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Subject: Re: LILO and second master hard-disk
Date: 2 Mar 2001 16:08:31 GMT

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 22:59:54 +1100, Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>map-drive = 0x80
>            to = 0x82
>map-drive = 0x82
>            to = 0x80
>

>> the problem is that windows always wants to be the first (primary master)

That's odd. Then why can I boot it off the secondary master drive if I disable
the primary via BIOS? It's still on the IDE1 cable.

Looks like something to try though! Thanks.

Regards, Dustin

--
Dustin Puryear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Integrate Linux Solutions into Your Windows Network

------------------------------

From: "Justin R. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unable to boot 2.4.2
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:29:41 GMT

I'm at  my wit's end.

I've compiled and installed many other Linux kernels before and find
the experience completely different with the 2.4 kernels

Compiling is straightforward, but the kernel crashes on booting with
a message that Unix domain sockets are not available.

I most EMPHATICALLY do enable these in the configure step: I'm
very aware of their importance (and see why the kernel wouldn't boot
without them). Why then, does the build script seem to ignore my
selection of options?

I've recompiled this kernel a dozen times without any change in this
problem. At present, I enable almost all of the modules (even ones that
do not correspond to equipment I have) and build and install them.

Yet, I still get this message.

Another truely bizarre problem is that I get a message that the root
device is not set by lilo.

This is bizarre because I just copied the lilo.conf section for my old
kernel and changed the kernel name and label. The lilo.conf code is

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=newlinux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdc1

And I definitely DO run lilo before I reboot.

I make bzlilo to build the System.map and then copy the kernel and
Sytem.map to /boot (from /, where bzlilo installs them), and always
rerun lilo.

I  use gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.0)

Is there something wrong with my lilo configuration (something special
that must be done with 2.4 kernels)?

From: "Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pts/x
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:09:08 +0000

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Alex K wrote:

> "Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" wrote:
> >
> > one more thing about Linux:-) But - while testing, I noticed - pts/x do
> > not get allocated in order... I.e., when, having only pts/1 I opened
> > another session, it was assigned pts/3 - not pts/2... I thought first -
> > something still was wrong, but I checked another computer - the same
> > behaviour... So, does anybody know why and how these numbers get
> > allocated?
>
> on my computer, slack7.1 kernel 2.4.0, i believe they get allocated "in
> order".
> ie pts3 after pts2, or pts1 if pts1 is already closed...

Yep, I also thought so, but... it looks like there appear holes in the
sequence (with time): on one of these 2 machines there is a hole at pts/2,
if, say, you have pts/1 and pts/3, then you close pts/1 and start opening
new ones, they appear in the following order: 1,4,5,6,... - 2 never gets
filled... On the other machine I currently have holes at
pts/1,3,4,6... One machine is SuSE6.4 + 2.4.2 kernel, another one is
SuSE7.0 + 2.2.18... What's interesting, when I had that problem with 2
extra lines in `who`, they were pts/2 and pts/4. At one stage I even had 2
lines with pts/4... Then pts/4 somehow miraculously disappeared... to remove
pts/2 I had to re-create /var/run/wtmp... Now there's no more extra lines
in who - they are quite consistent, but pts/2 is still blocked... Don't
know though how those holes appeared on the other machine...

Thanks
Guennadi

>   / ak42

___

Dr. Guennadi V. Liakhovetski
Department of Applied Mathematics
University of Sheffield, U.K.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing files from LINUX using NT Print Services
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:30:07 -0000

I am new to the linux world but I was wondering are there any constraints
if I wanted to print files from a linux box using NT print Services. Note:
I have 2 boxes (1 LX and 1 NT for certain reasons). If so what is the best
solution.

From: "Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:14:07 +0000

> pts/2 I had to re-create /var/run/wtmp... Now there's no more extra lines

sorry, should be /var/run/utmp

___

From: "Jason A. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out.
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:36:32 GMT

I recently started getting a lot of these messages in my system logs:

kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

along with the network going down of course.  I am using a 2.4.2 smp
kernel on a dual PII system with a ne2k-pci network card/driver.  I
searched the web and kernel archives mailing list and saw people with
similar problem going back a year on 2.3.99 kernels, but no real solutions
or replies.  Does anyone here know what the problem is, could it be
hardware? The problem seems to be getting worse, since it used to happen
only after a few days/weeks, but now happens after just several hours of
uptime.  Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

~Jason

------------------------------

From: Eggert Ehmke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to boot 2.4.2
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:47:25 +0100

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:29:41 GMT, "Justin R. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I  use gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.0)
>Is there something wrong with my lilo configuration (something special
>that must be done with 2.4 kernels)?

As far as i know, 2.96.x is not recommended. I use 2.95.2 and compiled and
run kernel 2.4.2 successful. Did you install the actual modutils ? There are
some requirements in the kernel tree, see README and Documentation/Changes.

--
Eggert Ehmke
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Justin Hibbits
Subject: Re:  Re: init fails
Date: 2 Mar 2001 16:17:09 GMT

Hello,

I found out that init wasn't the problem, I was.  I had changed /bin/sh to point to
/sbin/sash, so that I could at least boot the computer
when the system had been messed up.  I fixed that problem, fixed my library problem,
and created a new problem.  I cannot log
into my computer.  I somehow messed up my PAM libraries when I was repairing my
libraries last night, because, when I went to reboot,
after messsing the libraries up again, it complained "You don't exist, Go away!"  I
think that I may have to replace PAM with an upgrade,
because it says, when I log in "PAM_unix: user does not exist" or "UID 0 does not
exist" or something like that.  Can anyone help me?

Oh, off the topic, I am thinking of upgrading to Debian, that way it is easier to
upgrade my computer and not mess everything up.  Does anyone
know of a site where I can find the iso images?

Thanx,
Justin Hibbits
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> >
> >Hello,
> >
> >Tell me how stupid I was, then tell me how to fix this...I installed( almost)
>glibc-2.2.2, and it failed.  After restoring my original
> >RH7.0 glibc by relinking them, Init no longer works.  I tried to set init=/bin/bash
>in my kernel command line, and I can boot to
> >bash.  But, when I try to run init to switch into rl 1, it says "cannot create
>/etc/initrunlvl, read only filesystem".  I checked out
> >The Init docs, and they say init uses the fifo /dev/initctl when communicating on
>an r-o fs.  Something is messed up here, but,
> >what is it?  Can anyone help me???
> [-]
> Well, start with writing lines less than 10293 characters long and then
> /dev/initctl != /etc/initrunlvl, different story.
>
> Since /etc resides on / and / is mounted ro you can't write /etc/mtab and
> so use mount -w -n -o remount /
>
> Mind the -n as when given this switch mount doesn't update /etc/mtab and
> yes, call sync yourself after something has been written.
>
> Why do you want to call init from the command line though ? You had
> better really understand the whole startup process as while it probably
> isn't going to hose your system you may be confronted with some nasty
> messages.
>
> IMHO try to repair it from where you are, read with the shell running
> and nothing else, or at least get the shared libs back. Once there
> you can boot as normal and care for the rest, working in your usual
> environment.
>
> Cheers,
> Juergen
>
> --
> \ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /
>  \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:02:43 +0000

Darren Paxton wrote:

> Silly question, but is the cups scheduler started??

cupsd is running.  Is that the same?

--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Scot Mc Pherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:10:32 GMT

It is documented in the README file that gcc 2.95.* should be used. It is
the latest stable release of gcc. The version supplied with RedHat7 is still
in a development state.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
N27° 19' 56"

news:VTPn6.6931$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: compiling modules for a different kernel version?
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:04:03 +0100

Krzys Majewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is it  possible to compile  third-party kernel modules (in  this case,
> bttv.o) on a machine with  a different (minor) kernel version than the
> machine on which the modules will be used? I've enabled MODVERSIONS on

Yes of course. You just need the appropriate kernel SOURCE to compile
against. The running kernel is irrelevant.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:05:30 +0100

Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i explicitly said that i am NOT looking for source coming with distros.

> i am looking for AUTHORATIVE places to get the source from. not some
> redhat cd. like, where did the redhatpeople get their source from...

It'll be on their cd.

(think about it)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Errors on booting during partition check
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:45:45 GMT

Hi

I get these errors on booting during the Partition check:

Partition check:
 hda:hda: status error: status=0x01 { Error }
hda: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: drive not ready for command

This is repeated 4 times then continues to boot.

The system works fine, or seems to, I have not noticed any problems although I have
only installed today.

I am using Slackware 4 and I have tried using Debian 2.2 with the same result.

The setup is a 210mb HD, 433M Dell Latitude laptop 4mb RAM - I have tried the 2.5inch
hard disk in another PC with the same result.

Is the hard disk on the way out?  Or is this fixable?

Thanks
Rich

--
Sent  by richieeee_rich  from  my-deja element  from  com

From: Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to convert ps file to pdf file?
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 01:31:58 +0800

As title, How can I convert a ps file to pdf file in Linux?

------------------------------

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to convert ps file to pdf file?
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:33:30 +0100

Carfield Yim wrote on Sat, 03 Mar 2001 01:31:58 +0800:

> As title, How can I convert a ps file to pdf file in Linux?

Try ps2pdf.

------------------------------

From:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: toshiba laptop shuts off!
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:38:18 GMT

Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Major Dondo wrote:
>
> > I have a mystery.  I have a toshiba 2800 laptop, running RH 7 with a
> > stock 2.2.18 kernel.  I have downloaded the latest toshiba utils from
> > buzzard.com.uk.
> >
> > When I try to load the module from buzzard, I get undefined symbols.
> > When I try to use the module from the kernel surce, I get "unknown
> > hardware type" when I try to use the tohibs utils.
> >
> > None of this would really bother me, since I can get most of what I need
> > to work, except that the laptop does a hard power off after about 1 hour
> > of no use.
> >
> > It does not shut down - it just powers off.  File systems get checked,
> > blah, blah, on the next boot.
> >
> > I have tweaked every setting I can think of - I have compiled the kernel
> > with APM , w/o apm, running apmd, not running apmd, running toshutils,
> > not running toshutils, and the #$%^&* still powers off when I leave it
> > for any lenght of time.......
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas on this?
> >
> > --Yan
>
> what does /var/log/messages say? anything?

Have you configured the watchdog option? that could cause problems

bfn
simes

------------------------------

From:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux freezes
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:40:34 GMT

Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>   Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   In a message on Thu, 1 Mar 2001 20:58:01 +0100, wrote :
>
> CA> I am looking for the reason why my Linux Mandrake 7.2 totally freezes some
> CA> time.
> CA>
> CA> First, I thought it might be because I have a SCSI hard drive switched on
> CA> while booting, and later it is unmounted and switched off.
> CA>
> CA> Now, I had the hard drive switched off on booting, so it does not exist for
> CA> my computer, but my computer freezing again. :-(
> CA>
> CA> May it be the reason that (although switched off on boot) my SCSI hard
> CA> drive is still connected to my computer's SCSI port? Or is it unlikely that
> CA> this might be the reason?
>
> Is there anything else on the SCSI chain?  What kind of termination are
> you using?  Is the (external?) hard drive providing power to the
> terminator?
>

> CA> Thanks for any hint!
> CA> Claus.
> CA>
>

> --
>                                      \/
> Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

>           ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION **
>              http://www.nuthinbutnews.com

What does your dmesg say?

------------------------------

From: "Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:27:29 +0000

ps2pdf

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hun)
Subject: Re: 1.2 Giga bytes source code - KDE 2.1, no impression. :(
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:50:37 GMT

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:47:21 +0100, Nils O. Selasdal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Try more" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Hello,
>>
>> For 24 hours, I compiled the full KDE 2.1 source code at the bottom.
>> Cause I'm using KDE 1.x right now, and wanted to see what's the KDE 2.1.
>>
>> To compile it, I downloaded Qt-2.2.4 source code and build it. <- 74M
>Here are LOTS of .o files lying around, and maybe you dont need all the
>examples/documentation. do a make clean.
>
>> openssl-0.9.6 <- 18M
>> KDE 2.1 source <- 1.2G
>Where do all this come from?
>I got all the sources, compiled them.. about 500MB, which should be reduced
>ALOT doing a make clean, to remove all the stuff the compiler made..

To clean is very quick compared with building a program. :)

------------------------------

From: Krzys Majewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 02 Mar 2001 09:56:15 -0800

The problem in this case is  that the kernel which ships with redhat 7
appears to  have some broken  headers which prevent compilation  of the
bttv module,  so I wanted to  compile against a  different kernel, but
depmod gives "unresolved symbols" errors if I try this.
BTW, anyone know why redhat messes with the kernel source in the first
place?
-chris

------------------------------

From: Sahan Amarasekera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:58:18 +0000

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:10:32 GMT, "Scot Mc Pherson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It is documented in the README file that gcc 2.95.* should be used. It is
>the latest stable release of gcc. The version supplied with RedHat7 is still
>in a development state.

In the /Documentation/Changes file it says:

The recommended compiler for the kernel is egcs 1.1.2 (gcc 2.91.66),
and it
should be used when you need absolute stability. You may use gcc
2.95.2
instead if you wish, although it may cause problems.

----
Sahan Amarasekera

to email me, remove animal in email address:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Subject: ap_mm_create in kernal 2.4.1.
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 18:00:07 GMT

I just tried compiling and installing 2.4.1 and here is a problem I'm
having:
when trying to start httpd I get a message
Ouch! ap_mm_create(somenumber,"/var/run/mm.somenumber") failed.
Error: MM: mm: core failed to acquire shared memory segment (Function
not implemented): OS: no such file or directoy.
It didn't give this message with a previous version of the kernel.
Any idea what is going on?
TIA

------------------------------

From:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:48:13 GMT

Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> As title, How can I convert a ps file to pdf file in Linux?

Most linux distributions contain a tool kit with a command line tool called ps2pdf
(under /usr/local/bin on redhat 7) Try man ps2pdf to find out
if_you_have_it/how_it_works I get fairly good results with it. Make sure the fonts in
your ps document are all supported by Ghostscript

ciao

simes

------------------------------

From: "repo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 19:07:51 +0100

at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Carfield Yim"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> As title, How can I convert a ps file to pdf file in Linux?

Hi
Try the command:
ps2pdf

--
Repo

RedHat Linux release 7.0 Kernel 2.2.16-22
http://beginnerslinux.org    http://beginnerslinux.saxen.net
  7:07pm  up 11 days, 20:41,  2 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.24, 0.36