Linux-Misc Digest #140, Volume #25               Sat, 15 Jul 00 20:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  RS-232 port logger? (Micah Lax)
  Re: RS-232 port logger? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: resizing partitions in linux (John Thompson)
  Looking for scanner (Eric Ho)
  Re: Regular Expressions.....HUH...!!! ("GDunne")
  Re: Diff between tty1 and ttyS1 (Robie Basak)
  Re: controlling (shell) beeping (was Re: Very dumb question! WooHoo! =)) (Robie
Basak)
  Re: PGP signed messages!!! (Robie Basak)
  noise with sb 16 (Bogislav Rauschert)
  Re: Dithering in gs on Linux (Helge Blischke)
  problem installing kppp 1.6.25 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: logging DNS/web access (Shawn Button)
  Newbie Module Question ("Trent Cook")
  Re: controlling (shell) beeping (was Re: Very dumb question! WooHoo! =)) (Shawn
Smith)
  Re: problem installing kppp 1.6.25 (Cnix)
  NIC installation woes... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  NIC installation woes... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Script to switch virtual consoles? (Andrew Purugganan)
  Can't print just one! (clamb)
  Kernel 2.4-test4 and unresolved symbols in modules (Yura Snottball)
  Re: Newbie Module Question (ray)
  Re: tar read error (Craig McCluskey)
  Re: "Unmark" in Netscape (Craig McCluskey)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Micah Lax)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.development,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: RS-232 port logger?
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 19:43:23 GMT

Hi,

I need to log all incoming data from an RS-232 port on a linux machine
to a disk file.

linux.redhat.development,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: RS-232 port logger?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 20:10:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Micah Lax) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I need to log all incoming data from an RS-232 port on a linux machine
> to a disk file.

If the other end of that jack just goes to a standard serial port, you
can write a simple program to pipe the ouput of that port to a file.
tail, or possibly cat, might be good choices.

You can use setserial to set up the port and assign it a serial tty
(ttySx).

--
Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

"Dude... my hands are huge.  They can touch anything but themselves...
 oh, wait."

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: resizing partitions in linux
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:22:26 -0500

Craig A Lebowitz wrote:

> > Craig A Lebowitz wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running Red Hat 6.2 and I'd like to get rid of Windows and resizem
> > > my linux partition.  Can anyone suggest the best way to do this?  I
> > > really don't want to mess up my config at this point.

> > John Thompson wrote:
> >
> > The simplest way to do this would probably be to run mkfs.ext2 on
> > the Win partition to wipe the FAT filesystem and make an ext2
> > filesystem on the partition.  You can then mount it aand use it
> > as needed from linux.  This method has the advantage of not
> > changing your existing partitions at all and therefore not
> > changing your partition numbering, which would require you to
> > modify your kernel to reflect the changed numbers of the root and
> > swap partitions.

> This is very thoughtful advice, thank you very much.  How about getting rid
> of LILO once the Windows partition is taken over by linux?

Lilo's is a good thing to have even if you only have linux
installed on your machine.  I find it useful because it allows me
to have multiple bootable kernel images.  This is very handy when
you've compiled a new kernel and find it doesn't boot.  Rather
than searching around for that "rescue" floppy I forgot to make,
I simply reboot and select the old kernel to boot, then fix the
problem with the new one.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for scanner
Date: 15 Jul 2000 20:58:51 GMT

Hi,

I am looking for a good scanner to use with my Slackware 7.0 Linux,
any suggestion ?

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

------------------------------

From: "GDunne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,nf.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Regular Expressions.....HUH...!!!
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 21:03:39 GMT

You'll find a pretty thorough 'guide' in the Perl documentation...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robie Basak)
Subject: Re: Diff between tty1 and ttyS1
Date: 15 Jul 2000 21:20:11 GMT

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 23:50:19 GMT, Pjtg0707 said:
>I am wondering the difference bwteeen tty1 and ttyS1.
>I am going to connect a Wyse 50 ascii terminal to a Linux box, and
>I am wondering which one to use.

tty1 is a virtual terminal (Alt-F1, Alt-F2 etc). ttyS1 is COM2. Use
ttyS0 or ttyS1 (COM1 or COM2) if you're plugging it into the serial
port.

Robie.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robie Basak)
Subject: Re: controlling (shell) beeping (was Re: Very dumb question! WooHoo! =))
Date: 15 Jul 2000 21:21:25 GMT

On 14 Jul 2000 22:09:56 -0500, Paul Kimoto said:

[...]

>Also, if you want to affect other incidences of beeping as well, you may
>want to investigate how to control the beep more generally, such as the
>xset(1x) approach mentioned by Mary P.  Of course, xset(1x) works only
>under X.)

See 'man setterm' for beeping in text.

Robie.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robie Basak)
Subject: Re: PGP signed messages!!!
Date: 15 Jul 2000 21:25:52 GMT

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:40:37 GMT, Rasputin said:

[...]

>Howver, if we don't have your public key, and don't particularly need
>to check that's *really* you posting, then there's
>no need for you to be signing mesages.

I always sign my emails; see:
  http://www.pgpi.org/doc/whypgp/en/
If it raised enough awareness of why people should encrypt if they
have the recipient's key available, then it might be useful.

>Just my opinion; you don't need to verify my identitiy to
>decide I'm talking bull ;)

Yes, but it is nice to confirm that the same person has written
several messages.

Robie.

From: Bogislav Rauschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: noise with sb 16
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:38:31 +0200

I've just installed alsa 0.5.8 on my SuSE 6.4 Linux-system with kernel
2.2.16. Alsa works fine, but unfortunately listening to music there is a
soft noise in the background. I remember that I experienced this noise
after first installing SuSE 6.4 using alsa, so I decided to use the free
SuSE-opso-oss sound driver (which worked fine and did not produce any
soft noise). But that won't work with kernel 2.2.16. Does anyone know
how I can get rid of this noise???

My soundcard is an original Creative Sound Blaster 16. Again, there were
no problems using SuSE 6.0 and 6.4 with the 4front OSS. The hardware
seems to be ok.

        Bogislav

  eMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Helge Blischke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers,comp.lang.postscript
Subject: Re: Dithering in gs on Linux
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:41:09 +0200

Obi-Wan wrote:

> I'm trying to get an HP inkjet printer (PSC 500) setup to print under
> Linux (Debian).  I've got it working using apsfilter, ghostscript 5.10,
> and lprng using gs's cdj550 driver.  The problem is the results look
> like crap.  The dithering is _very_ low resolution.
> [...]

You might consider switching all the printing stuff over to CUPS
(see http://www.cups.org). It has a built-in Ghostscript variant and
permits color adaption by using PPD based profiles, and it's free.
Use either the 1.1b5 beta or wait for 1.1.1 (as the 1.1 has some
glitches with web-based administration.

I don't know if it will solve your problem (as we at our site do only
use PostScript printers, but you could give it a try. There are
procompiled
RPMs for Linux.

Helge

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: problem installing kppp 1.6.25
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 21:36:02 GMT

hi,
i wanted to install kppp 1.6.25 since i have a new kernel (2.2.16).
however, i have the following problem about X includes during the
configure.
what should i do?
thanks

[root@chosun kppp-1.6.25]# pwd
/opt/kde/kppp-1.6.25
[root@chosun kppp-1.6.25]# ./configure
<snip>
found msgfmt program is not GNU msgfmt; ignore it
checking for xgettext... :
checking for socket in -lsocket... no
checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check
your installation and add the correct paths!
[root@chosun kppp-1.6.25]#

From: Shawn Button <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: logging DNS/web access
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:54:29 -0600

We just want to track what pages our internal clients are requesting form
the outside world. 6.1 is running our gateway server. Thanks

Shawn

------------------------------

From: "Trent Cook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Newbie Module Question
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 22:03:02 GMT

I have a quick question.  I recompiled to the 2.2.16 kernel.  Everything is
cool but, when my system boots, my NICs delay, then dont initialize.

I found out that my modules arent loading since the compile.  For the NICs
anyways.  I did set the 2 modules I need in the kernel and can  insmod them
both, restart the network and all is cool.  I have a script off of rc.local
that does this so I have connectivity, but could you tell me how to get them
to load at boot again?

I am guessing recompile and set them to be in the kernel instead of modules,
but shouldnt I be able to leave them as modules, then allow the system to
load them when it initially brings up the modules at boot?

I would rather do the latter, but if I have to I can either leave my script,
or compile them right into the kernel.

I dont have kmod compiled, should I do this?  The help said it replaces
kerneld so I left it out as I dont know much about it.

Thanks boys,

Trent

------------------------------

From: Shawn Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 17:11:36 -0500

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, The Darkener wrote:
> I know this will be an easy-answer,
> but I just can't find anything on it.
>
> Just installed Debian Slink on my laptop.  Getting everything configured
> the way I want, things are going pretty good so far.  Only thing is,
> (very, very annoying) every time I either 1) hit backspace too many
> times, or 2) hit tab to finish a command/filename when there's more than
> one filename to choose from, the stupid pc speeker goes "BEEP!"  It's
> pretty annoying. =p~  So, is this a key binding in Linux

I got so tired of that darn bell that I pulled the plug on that speaker. It never had
any
good sounds anyway.

--
All the best,
Shawn Smith  !UNT Proud!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cnix)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: problem installing kppp 1.6.25
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 22:20:56 GMT

Read carefully the README and INSTALL files your problem is that you
do not have the correct path or you have a missing path to you
librairies...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: NIC installation woes...
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 22:30:01 GMT

Help!  I just recompiled my kernel to allow me to use a CD burner.  That
seems to be working, but now my computer won't let me use my ethernet
card.  I'm sure I compiled network support into the kernel, but just to
be certain I did it all over again.  But I still get "device not found"
when I try to run eth0.  It worked fine before.  What could have
changed?  Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: Script to switch virtual consoles?
Date: 15 Jul 2000 22:05:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[ On or about 14 Jul 2000 15:17:40 GMT, Andrew Purugganan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
scrivened:
[ > I want to be able to switch VCs by means of a script
[ > That way, I can assign the script to a menu or icon or dockapp and just
[ > click on it to get to the session that I want

[     $ man chvt.

[ Run as root.
Thanks! Helped a lot!
[ --
[ Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
[  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                    http://www.opensales.org
[   What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?   Debian GNU/Linux rocks!
[    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/    K5: http://www.kuro5hin.org
[ GPG fingerprint: F932 8B25 5FDD 2528 D595 DC61 3847 889F 55F2 B9B0

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098

------------------------------

Subject: Can't print just one!
From: clamb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 16:21:56 -0700

I have been having some trouble printing to a Netware printer
with Mandrake versions 6.1, 7.0 and 7.1. After reading the
"NetwarePrinting" post this evening from Linux-Mandrake.OS I
decided to reinstall the Lpr, Printtool, and RHS-printfilter
RPM's from MD 6.0. MD 6.0 was the first release I tried and I was
able to print to a Netware server after many printer set up
attempts. After installing these RPM's and a re-boot I am able to
print over the network. However, I always get two copies. I have
made sure that 1 page per output has been checked using
Printtool. I would configure a local printer to test its output
but the last time I did Netware printing stopped working
completely. Here is my printcap. I am still very new at this and
have no idea what to check. There has only been one reply from
Linux-Mandrake.OS so I thought I would ask here. Please pass
along any ideas.

Thanks,
Charles

##PRINTTOOL3## NCP ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default 1
lp:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
:mx#0:\
:sh:\
:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:\
:af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
:lp=/dev/null:

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: Yura Snottball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel 2.4-test4 and unresolved symbols in modules
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:30:36 GMT

I normally don't read Usenet, but I thought I'd try the development
kernel and I'm having trouble.  So I downloaded the 20 meg tarball,
compiled it and all, and most things work just fine, but take a look at
this depmod output:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/cdrom/gscd.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/a3d.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/adi.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/analog.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/cobra.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/db9.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/gamecon.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/gf2k.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/grip.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/interact.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/ip2main.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/ip_gre.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/ipip.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/magellan.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/sidewinder.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/spaceball.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/spaceorb.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/tmdc.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/turbografx.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test4/misc/warrior.o

And, yes, I have upgraded to the 2.3 modutils.

What can I do to fix all this?  Anything?  I tried fiddling with compile
options...  I'm no kernel hacker, but I thought I'd try out 2.4-test to
see how smooth migration is.

------------------------------

From: ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Newbie Module Question
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:31:49 GMT

Trent Cook wrote:

> I have a quick question.  I recompiled to the 2.2.16 kernel.  Everything is
> cool but, when my system boots, my NICs delay, then dont initialize.
>
> I found out that my modules arent loading since the compile.  For the NICs
> anyways.  I did set the 2 modules I need in the kernel and can  insmod them
> both, restart the network and all is cool.  I have a script off of rc.local
> that does this so I have connectivity, but could you tell me how to get them
> to load at boot again?
>
> I am guessing recompile and set them to be in the kernel instead of modules,
> but shouldnt I be able to leave them as modules, then allow the system to
> load them when it initially brings up the modules at boot?
>
> I would rather do the latter, but if I have to I can either leave my script,
> or compile them right into the kernel.
>
> I dont have kmod compiled, should I do this?  The help said it replaces
> kerneld so I left it out as I dont know much about it.
>
> Thanks boys,
>
> Trent

    Maybe try this one. In /etc/conf.modules add a line that says

alias eth0 nicdriver-name
alias eth1 nicdriver-name
If you need "options" they can go in here too.

--
Ray R. Jones
Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

------------------------------

From: Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tar read error
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 18:26:59 -0500

> What's the output of "mt -f /dev/rmt/0n"?  You may need to
> rewind or otherwise update the tape status.

To rewind: mt -f /dev/rmt/0n rewind

For status: mt -f /dev/rmt/0n status

Craig

------------------------------

From: Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Unmark" in Netscape
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 18:37:01 -0500

Mike Fontenot wrote:

> In an old version of Netscape, I used to find it useful
> to mark all articles read (in a newsgroup), and then
> to keep.

You can mark as unread messages that have already been read
by clicking on the small black dot in the read status column,
changing it green.

I do something similar, but more efficient:

1) Click on the down "arrow" next to the title of a message
   just below the rectangular area that shows all the messages.
   This will maximize the area that shows the messages.

2) Scroll down to the first message you don't want to keep and
   click on it so it's highlighted.

3) Scroll down to the next message you want to keep. Hold down
   the shift key and click on the message just BEFORE it,
   highlighting all the intervening messages.

4) Release the mouse and the shift key and press the M key.
   This will mark as read all the messages you've scanned that
   you don't want.

5) Scroll down to the next message you don't want to keep and
   click on it.

6) Repeat 3 - 5 until you've finished the newsgroup.

Craig