  RH7.1 in endless loop: & mouse not detected (Micro Hue)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: @Home setup SO SLOW
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 05:19:36 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 13:32:24 -0500, LRW wrote:
>Obviously the IP and the x's in domain are changed and I'll use mine,
>but where you have "files" it actually says "files"?

Yes, the nsswitch.conf is exactly the way it is on my machine (I
edit'd it manually).

>I'm not in front of the machine in question to look at it, but shouldn't
>there be more under hosts at least? Or whatabout where you put in your
>host name (c12345-a) or IP? Don't you need the host name somewhere
>whether you're static or DHCP?

My /etc/hosts file is very large but the single entry looks like this:

24.2.89.230    AB12345-A.x.yy.home.com AB12345-A

I'm static.

Using Linuxconf may help (it's on your system), but then you'll have
to play with the client setting under network (and figure out where
everything is).

--
Linux Home Automation           Neil Cherry             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.home.net/ncherry                         (Text only)

------------------------------

From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cannot print fle to Windows Printer through Samba
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:28:11 +1000

Eric Chow wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I modify the /etc/printcap as following :
> hp6l|lp:\
>         :cm=HP LaserJet 6L:\
>         :lp=/dev/hp6l:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp6l:\
>         :af=/var/spool/lpd/hp6l/acct:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :if=/usr/bin/smbprint:
>
> When I use lpr to print a file. It seems that no response to the Printer but
> had no errors.
> Do I need mount the Windows Printer first ? How to mount it ? Would you
> please to teach me ?
> I have read the SMB-HOWTO, but still not understand.
>
> How should I do if I want to print file to Windows Printer in Linux
> environment through Samba ?
>
> Best regards,
> Eric

Go here and follow the instructions-
http://www.linuxjournal.com/articles/sysadmin/0058.html

You have a few more steps to carry out. Also you princap entry has a
small error
:lp=/dev/hp6l:\ should be :lp=/dev/null:\
because lp is for printing to an actual local device. Since your print
is being handled
by smbprint, the local print is discarded to /dev/null.

A short explanation: Linux handles local printed by sending data to the
device specified
by the lp= parameter. Or you can use a remote lpd printer by setting
lp=: ie nothing and
using rp= and rm= like my setup:

lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/laser:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=laser:\
        :rp=lpb:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/laser/filter:

This says I have a queue called lpb on a remote machine called laser.
laser is listed in
/etc/hosts as 192.168.0.20 which is my print server box.

However, this mechanism doesn't cater for Windows printing. What we do
there is set up a
dummy local printer, and rely on the script specified by the if= to do
the printing.
Normally, this script is used to pre-process data going to the printer,
such as formatting
images, interpreting postscript, fitting 2 or 4 pages to one, or
anything else you care to
do. smbprint is a filter which sends the incoming stream to a Windows
printer.

Now read the article, and fix your printing!

Regards,
Frank Ranner

------------------------------

From: Chris Bragg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba 2.0.8 and Windows XP b2 not working
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:31:41 +0200

On Thu, 24 May 2001 21:30:05 -0000, eric l. santelices wrote:

> Has anyone been able to log into their Samba server with XP?
>
> I just upgraded one of my boxes and it cannot login to my samba server I'm
> running samba 2.0.8.
>
> Other machines can login and work just fine.

Using Build 2465 of Beta 2 on 1 machine, I am able to log into my Linux
box, yes. Annoyingly though, I must login to it to use the printer or look
at files a second time (rather than just once when logging into the machine
for use). Also, despite the fact that XP tells you that it can remember
your username and password for this share, it doesn't, and it needs to be
retyped everytime. Another thing you need to be sure and do is change the
setting that allows the use of a third party SMB server for XP (and W2K).
This should solve your problem I think.

Good Luck!

--
Chris Bragg, Founder
Geilenkirchen Linux Users Group (GKLUG)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Sherman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: cdrecord fails only with 2.4.x kernel, FIXED!
Date: 25 May 2001 05:36:37 GMT

In <9ehghp$nt9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Sherman) writes:

>  the 2nd MB written, or the 11th.  It has never halted (yet)
>  when it has gotten past 11, however.  It usually halts
>  somewhere around 2-6 MB written.

>  If I boot back to the RH 6.2 image, everything runs perfectly.

Good news...

>From the responses (thanx guys!), I went on the assumption that
the problem was with the aic7xxx driver.  I was going to attempt
to bring up aic7xxx_old, but before doing that, I wanted to check
on what was the latest version of the aic7xxx driver.

After much searching, I found it was 6.1.13.

  http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/

The level of the driver that comes with linux kernel version
2.4.4 is 6.1.5.  So I downloaded the 2.4.4-ac17 kernel (which
includes aic7xxx version 6.1.13), and then built and tested
that...

So far, success!  No lockups so far...  I think the newer
driver fixed the problem.  So far, 6 CD's cut with
zero problems.

--
Chris Sherman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: IBM to let Linux fans use mainframe--for free
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 02:05:30 -0400

Richard Thrippleton wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >fmc wrote:
> >>
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> >
> >> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010522/tc/ibm_to_let_linux_fans_use_mainfr
> >> ame--for_free_1.html

> >> Yes, read this:
> >>
> >> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010522/tc/ibm_to_let_linux_fans_use_mainfr
> >> ame--for_free_1.html
> >

> >When posting long URL's please adjust your line length so that they don't
> >get fucked up
> >

>>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010522/tc/ibm_to_let_linux_fans_use_mainframe--for_free_1.html
>         I don't claim to be an expert on 'net standards by any stretch of
> the imagination, but aren't all news postings supposed to be wrapped to 76
> characters regardless? I know there's some reason for this, but it escapes
> me at this time. Any ideas?

URL's are an obvious exception to the tradition.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: MIDI in Netscape???
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 06:12:16 -0000

On Fri, 18 May 2001 00:36:22 GMT, William H. Pridgen wrote:

> Yes, I have the instrument files for Timidity.  Following your
> suggestion, I edited timidity.cfg, and changed it to point to the
> correct directory, but I still get the playmidi error.

What you need to do is edit your pluggerrc file (you might have
put it in ~/.netscape or copy the system-wide file to that place).
In this file is where you specify what players to use.
Example, mine has:

#audio/midi: midi,mid: MIDI audio file
#audio/x-midi: midi,mid: MIDI audio file
#       many: timidity -s 44100 -a -idqqqqqqq $file
#       : playmidi $file

I believe it will try to use timidity first and if that doesn't
exist use playmidi(?).

Mine are commented out because I use another MIDI plugin called
npump (which uses timidity anyway I suppose).

Plugger's manpage says the following for any changes you make:
  You  have to remove ~/.netscape/plugin-list after changing
  the configuration, or  nothing  will  happen.  This  is  a
  netscape bug, not a Plugger bug.

You should have a plugger.7 man page that explains a few things.
BTW, if you haven't done so check out plugger's test page to see
how well it works. Good way to debug a few things.

http://www.hubbe.net/~hubbe/plugger/test.html

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<
Marc D. Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.oldskool.org/~tvdog/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Win3.x Makeover

------------------------------

Subject: Process killed by kernel.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Van Dolson)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 06:35:03 GMT

I have a process that I must run as user (not as root) but the system kills
it after a while--I assume because it is exceeding some resource limit.  Is
there any way I can exempt the user from these limits or change their
settings?  What exactly decides which processes should be killed?

Anyways, thanks for any help.

------------------------------

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fetchmail + deliver to several local user (variable needed)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:22:09 +0200

On my ISP's server I have a mailbox with several aliases. I get the mail
using fetchmail. The entry in .fetchmailrc (the sendmail command is part of
postfix):

*****
user [EMAIL PROTECTED] there with password mysecret
        options fetchall stripcr
        mda '/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -f %F %T'
*****

With this fetching I get mails to several recipients (because of different
aliases at my mailbox), e.g. sent to

My local machine name is different to my e-mail domain at my ISP, but I
have the same user names on my machine (thorn-dev, thorn-dev-owner, sympa,
...).

How can I tell fetchmail to set as %T only the name before @my.domain so
that sendmail is delivering the mail to the appropriate user on my machine?
Or is there any other good way to do this??

Thanks for any hint!!
Claus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic Opat)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Using TAR
Date: 25 May 2001 00:46:06 -0700

Hi,

tar cpf [destination_tar_file||tape_device] --directory /stuff --exclude=gallery

It should work fine.

If you encounter a problem then RTFM.

Bye.

Fred.

news:<9ejndl$j6b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: "Eric Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: strange output using lpr command
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:16:59 +0800

hello,

when I use lpr to print a file to printer(which locate in Windows), the file
out put not same as the original file.

For example :

a.txt
====
abcdefg
123456
ABCDEF

I type a command "lpr a.txt"

and then the printer output is :

abcdefg
            123456
                        ABCDEF

Why the result be that ? Where should I setup it correctly ?

Please teach me.

best regards,
Eric

------------------------------

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fetchmail + multidrop
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:51:10 +0200

I can reduce the problem to this: I have checked out fetchmail's multidrop
mode to get mail to several alias addresses from one mailbox. The
.fetchmailrc entry:

*****
user [EMAIL PROTECTED] with password mysecret to *
        options fetchall stripcr
        mda '/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -f %F %T'
*****

Running fetchmail -v -v on that, you can see the problem:

*****
fetchmail: analyzing Received line:
        by post.webmailer.de (8.9.3/8.8.7) with ESMTP id KAA17784
        for <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Fri, 25 May 2001 10:34:11 +0200 (MET
DST)
fetchmail: line rejected, post.webmailer.de is not an alias of the
mailserver
About to rewrite From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Rewritten version is From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

About to rewrite To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Rewritten version is To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

fetchmail: no local matches, forwarding to claus
fetchmail: about to deliver with: /usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -f
[EMAIL PROTECTED] claus
*****

The last line shows that it is deliverd to the local user "claus", not to
"thorn-dev".

I guess the reason is this line "fetchmail: line rejected,
post.webmailer.de is not an alias of the mailserver". Probably because the
user name of my ISP's mailbox includes the domain. How can I parse the
username that only the name before the @ sign is used for multidrop?

Thanks a lot for any help!
Claus

------------------------------

From: Christian Capito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kdat doesn't work in 2.4!!!!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:15:51 +0200

Hi Christopher,

I also used KDat in KDE 1, but it seems to have disappeared in KDE 2.x...
I've got a Debian Woody box which is also sorely missing KDat.

on Friday 25 May 2001 03:46, Christopher Murphy quoth:

------------------------------

From: Heinz Ruffieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem installing DHCPD
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:30:05 -0000

Hi,

I'm trying to install the dhcpd 2.0 package on my RH7.1 system (Kernel
2.4.2).

I do have CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER configured in my kernel (see
below) and I am sure that the right kernel is booted with lilo. But I'm
still getting the error message:

Mai 25 10:19:28 locarno dhcpd: socket: Protocol not available - make sure
CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel configuration!

when booting the kernel or trying to start /usr/sbin/dhcpd.

Is there something else to be configured in the kernel?

Thanks a lot

Heinz

/usr/src/linux/.config
#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=y
# CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP is not set
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_FILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_TUX=m
CONFIG_TUX_EXTCGI=y
# CONFIG_TUX_EXTENDED_LOG is not set
# CONFIG_TUX_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
# CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_TOS is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_VERBOSE is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_LARGE_TABLES is not set
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPIP is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPGRE is not set
# CONFIG_ARPD is not set
# CONFIG_INET_ECN is not set
# CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES is not set

#
#   IP: Netfilter Configuration
#
CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_IRC=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LIMIT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MAC=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MARK=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MULTIPORT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TOS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TCPMSS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_STATE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_UNCLEAN=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REJECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MIRROR=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_IRC=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_FTP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TOS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MARK=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS=m

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem with upgrading rpm
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:19:45 +0200

Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <9e68en$r0l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jerry Kreps"
> Well, i'm sure if i wanted konqueror i'd have to upgrad to KDE 2.0 and I

I've been recompiling kde (after recompiling X to move to 4.0.3 from
3.3.6 to see what it's like) and I haven't had too much problem. It
took me about a week to straighten everything out.

> already tried to upgrade kdelibs, kdenetwork, and some other kde package
> but the kdenetwork package couldn't find the kdelibs even when i

Oh, it can. Don't worry about it. This is just a question of reading
the configure file and finding out what tests it makes. As far as I recall,
all sorts of things like libarts and glide support were involved in the
setup.

> specified the directory so i gave up on that idea.  So i doubt attempting
> konqueror would be worthy of my time. I'd probably have a hell of a time

Konqueror was in the base package, as I recall, which I think I had to
compile after libs (or was it the other way round). And of course, I
had to precede all that by recompiling qt ... maybe that's where the
glide stuff came in .. I recall recompiling things like libggi and mesa
several times, fixing their source to work with glibc 2.1 each time
(trivial).

> with upgrading a 100 other packages before finishing all the dependency

It wasn't 100. More like about 15, I think.

> requirements for the original program I wanted.

> unless libjpeg.so.62 is included in the static version of Opera then it

libjpeg62 was one of the first things I recompiled. Yes, you need that
as well as libpng and libmng ...

> won't either as it still doesn't solve the probelm of the missing
> libjpeg.so.62 on m system. I got 60 but of course that's always the case,
> always a few minor versions away from having what is needed.

Are you a troll? All this is trivial! Download a libjpeg.so.62 source
and compile it. I assure you it was no trouble. I even compiled it
against libc5 to update my second workstation while I was about it.
But please stick to precompiled binaries if you are not capable.

Subject: Re: can't compile qt-2.3.0 with -xft. Why?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jürgen Diez)
Date: 25 May 2001 09:48:38 GMT

>needs to be fixed to compile -xft option.

I tried this but I still get the same error...

--
*** email: replace '-antispam-' by 'uni' ***

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Micro Hue)
Subject: RH7.1 in endless loop: & mouse not detected
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:59:30 GMT

G'day all,

I have been trying to upgrade from Redhat 6.2 to 7.1 but the
the installed system chokes on my Logitech Wheelmouse when I boot.

I am relatively new to Linux (occasional use on my dual boot PII 333
64MB box) and would like some pointers please on my tale of woe...

My mouse has been working fine with RH 6.2 and still does since Ive
had to revert to 6.2 after many abortive attempts to get RH7.1 going.

On install (or upgrade) of RH7.1, the mouse is recognized as Generic 3
button mouse (PS/2) - same as RH 6.2 does. Mouse works fine during
install.
After install exits, I reboot. Error message, something like:

"gpm: oops() invoked from gpm.c[978]
Device or Resource busy"

Then the computer goes into an endless loop between a text login
prompt which disappears when (presumably) X tries to start and
reappears briefly a few seconds later only to disappear before I have
a chance to log in. Repeat ad nauseum. No keypresses seem to stop it.
I've tried numerous keys: Alt-Ctl-F2, Alt-Ctl-Back, A-C-Tab etc.
Nothing works but A-C-Del which only reboots into the same problem. (I
use Loadlin to boot linux)
However the shut down produces a message:
"Shutting down console mouse services [FAILED]"

How do I stop the startup looping?
How do I fix the mouse?
Why does RH7.1 choke on a simple mouse that RH6.2 happily swallows?

I've tried reinstalling using every combination of Generic PS/2 mouse,
even the Logitech PS/2 ones. All give same result.

I even tried the floppy boot disk using 'Linux single'.
At least I got a prompt.
Ran 'mouseconfig'
"There was an error reading file /etc/sysconfig/mouse
Would you like to create a new configuration?
(Would I ever!) OK
Mouseconfig can update Xfree86 configuration file?
YES

Reboot. Same problem.

It must be something simple I've overlooked...

Tony