Linux-Misc Digest #965, Volume #27               Mon, 28 May 01 06:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  proftpd on Mandrake 8.0 ("Sudhakar R.")
  Linux and Raid 0 on a ABit KT7-RAID? (Chris Young)
  Re: compile problem (Dances With Crows)
  Security Warning (Claus Atzenbeck)
  "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error ("grendel")
  Re: linux and the Mac (Christian Capito)
  Re: Winmodems? ("Peet Grobler")
  Re: 2 MP3 Questions - Static and Bit Rate (Christian Capito)
  NIC Driver in C ("Tyron Washington")
  Re: Swapping on RAID1 (Michael Mattsson)
  IP address lost (lidan)
  Re: IP address lost (Christopher Fairbairn)
  Re: NIC Driver in C ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Is it worth upgrading kernel? ("Peet Grobler")
  Re: Is it worth upgrading kernel? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help, error msg. on boot up (Christopher Albert)
  Re: linux and the Mac (Corne Beerse)
  Re: Is it worth upgrading kernel? (Corne Beerse)
  Re: Is it worth upgrading kernel? ("Peet Grobler")
  Re: Is it worth upgrading kernel? ("Peet Grobler")
  Re: "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error
(=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?=)

From: "Sudhakar R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: proftpd on Mandrake 8.0
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 01:07:34 -0400

Hi,

I recently replaced my RH 7.0 with the awesome L-M 8.0. Unfortunately I'm
unable to get the ftp and telnet services running.

For ftp I've tried to get the proftpd daemon to work. but i get the
following error with the debug option

matrixuc.homeip.net - Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Address already
in use
matrixuc.homeip.net - Check the ServerType directive to ensure you
are configured correctly.

the following is the relevant line from /etc/proftpd.conf

ServerName                      "ProFTPD Default Installation"
ServerType                      standalone
DefaultServer                   on

I used ps -aex and checked to see if there was an ftpd running on my
box...but there was none....so it doesn't make sense why port:21 is
already in use. i haven't tinkered with the ports at all. everything is in
the default config.

Can someone please help me with getting proftpd to work.
Thanx in advance.
-sud

------------------------------

From: Chris Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and Raid 0 on a ABit KT7-RAID?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:15:19 +1000

At the moment I have Win98 running on an Abit KT7-RAID with 2 IBM
20GIG Hard drives on the highpoint controller set up as a 40 GIG
stripped array. As far as Windows is concerned there is only 1 40 GIG
drive connected.

I've decided to take the plunge with Red Hat 7.1 HOWEVER! When the
installation gets to setting up partitions it sees the drives as 2
seperate drives instead of the raid array. Annaconda will let me set
up my directories on either drive but it wont let me set a directory
accross the 2 drives. Does this mean that RAID 0 is not an option for
me at this stage or am I doing something not quite right.

At this stage i am considering putting another HD on IDE0 and loading
linux onto it and leaving Win98 on the raid drives and just dual
booting.

What I would much rather do is have Linux on the raid drives and run a
few win apps in a virtual computer using something like vmware or
win4lin

Any ideas on how to get around this problem?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: compile problem
Date: 28 May 2001 05:29:16 GMT

On Mon, 28 May 2001 02:03:58 GMT, Erik Svenkerud staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>when I try to compile a program from source,configure gives me this
>message at the end :
>checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check
>your installation and add the correct paths!
>
>any ideas be greatly appreciated..

The header files that were used to compile X were not installed.
Install them.  Your distro CDs probably contain a package called
"xdevel-3.3.6.rpm" or something that starts with "x" and has the string
"devel" after that.  Install this package, and you should be set.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Security Warning
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:30:06 +0200

I have Mandrake 8.0. It runs every night a security check. Today I got back
the result which makes me a little scary. 3 Questions on that report:

Security Warning: Change in World Writeable Files found :
                - Added writables files : /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

These are the rights:

srwxrwxrwx    1 mysql    mysql           0 Mai 27 08:16
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock=

Is this a security risk? Is the writeability for world an error?

Security Warning: the md5 checksum for one of your SUID files has changed,
        maybe an intruder modified one of these suid binary in order to put
in a backdoor...

This probably is, because I have deleted one user and created a new one. Am
I right?

                - Checksum changed files : /usr/bin/ssh

This is the most scary thing: I cannot think about that I have changed
anything at this binary.

What should I do?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Claus

------------------------------

From: "grendel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 05:46:22 GMT

How can I get rid of the "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error I get
a t startup (think it causes NFS Server to fail or something)?  This started
after I upgraded to 2.4.X (2.4.5)?  I compiled with NFS server and client as
modules. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Christian Capito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux and the Mac
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:05:12 +0200

Hi there!

on Monday 28 May 2001 05:01, Shore Linux Solutions quoth:

> graphic files on for me.  However the zip disk was done on a zip disk
> machine.  What I would like to do is mount the disc on the linux box and

What's a zip disk machine??

> disc but I cannot get this mac zip disc mounted at all.  I have even
> looked in /proc/filesystems and I don't see hfs listed.  However when I
> looked at the man page for mount and hfs is a valid type for the -t
> argument.

So, I gather you can read Windows zips, which means the only other thing
you have to do is add HFS support in your kernel.
You can activate it as a module in the area "Filesystem Support"

There are a lot of good HOWTOs and guides in the net explaining what you
need to do in order to recompile your kernel.

Christian Capito

------------------------------

From: "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za>
Subject: Re: Winmodems?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 08:09:38 +0200

You can somehow force insmod to load the modem driver.

Try lsmod. Is the module 'ltmodem' loaded? If so, try minicom, connecting to
ttyS14. Type "AT" and see if you get "OK". If you do, then it's working,
some other software is screwing up.

Which kernel version are you running? I know it doesn't work with 2.0.x.
I've got it working on 2.2.18 iirc.

Have a look and let us know. I've installed the same modem successfully.

------------------------------

From: Christian Capito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 MP3 Questions - Static and Bit Rate
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:26:37 +0200

Hi Justo

on Sunday 27 May 2001 04:30, Justo M. Casablanca quoth:

>    play well.  The MP3's burned from this CD have "static" when I play

It almost sounds as if the CD is scratched or has got marks on it. I would
consider using cdparanoia (or the builtin-version in Grip) with all
paranoia settings on.

>    what this bit-rate setting is for MP3 decoders (or is it the *.wav
>    extractor ?).  Could anyone enlighten me (in layman's terms), and
The lower the bitrate, the worse the quality. 64kb is tolerable, 110 is
radio, 160-192 is cd.
It was a while ago that mp3.com had a comprehensible explanation of mp3.
Dunno how it looks like now, tho.

>    maybe direct me to some docs ?  I use Grip for my extracting and
>    encoding, with either Lame or Gogo as my encoders.

I also use grip and lame. gogo is really fast, but it's quality isn't the
best. If you're really interested in high-quality compression, take a look
at ogg-vorbis (www.vorbis.com)

Christian Capito

------------------------------

From: "Tyron Washington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: NIC Driver in C
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 02:33:54 -0400

I'm new to Linux and I need to know how to install a driver for my network
card. The driver file ends in .c, which I have no idea what to do with it.
I'm plan on running RedHat 7.1. and the NIC is a SMC 1211TX. I don't see any
install instructions on SMC's web site. They just link directly to the
driver file:

http://www.smc.com/smc/drivers/Drivers/1211/rtl8139.c

Please help.

Even if RedHat 7.1 will recognize the card during installation, please still
tell me how to install drivers in .c format so I know how to do this stuff
myself.

Thanks in advance,

From: Michael Mattsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Swapping on RAID1
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 08:38:43 +0200

Steve Wolfe wrote:

> > I am running a software raid on 2 x ide drives - one is bigger than the
> > other so I utilise the difference in space by filling that one with the
> > swap. Works fine. I think that as the swap only stores temporary data it
> > does't matter if it ever goes west.
>
>    Uh.... if the data you've swapped out is lost, expect "real bad things"
> when the machine tries to swap them back in.
>
> steve

That's exactly what I don't want to happen. Is there anyway to mirror
swap partitions and when one disk goes "west" the system will still
work?

--
Michael Mattsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Webmaster/UNIX sysadmin

Volvo Technological Development
Dept 6880, Engineering Infrastructure, M1.6

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:42:34 +0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (lidan)
Subject: IP address lost

Hi, there,

I'm using RH7.0
The IP address for my machine is dynamically assigned from the DHCP server in
my company.
But I noticed that if I leave the machine idle for a number of hours, the IP
address will be "lost". i.e.
my machine seems to have released the IP address.
If I run netconfig again, then everything is ok. But this is annoying as I
often fail to connect my machine
from a remote host (As the IP address is never valid).

Anyone who can help me? Thanks!

--
-lidan

------------------------------

From: Christopher Fairbairn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP address lost
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 19:17:32 +1200

Hi,

lidan wrote:
> But I noticed that if I leave the machine idle for a number of hours, the
> IP address will be "lost". i.e.

This is a "typical"  DHCP feature, after all DHCP is designed to "ration" a
limited/scarce resource among other things.

As to how to solve the problem I can't help you there, I've never had the
need.

I use DHCP, but how DHCP Host doesn't implement/enable the above
formentioned feature.

Talk to your network admin staff and see if they can help.

Thanks,
Christopher Fairbairn.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NIC Driver in C
Date: 28 May 2001 07:31:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Tyron Washington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm new to Linux and I need to know how to install a driver for my network
> card. The driver file ends in .c, which I have no idea what to do with it.
> I'm plan on running RedHat 7.1. and the NIC is a SMC 1211TX. I don't see any
> install instructions on SMC's web site. They just link directly to the
> driver file:

I suppose you have to download the source code (.c), then compile
it using gcc, and then try to load the resulting module using
insmod. But this is a wild guess...

Davide

------------------------------

From: "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za>
Subject: Is it worth upgrading kernel?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:28:14 +0200

Hi.

I'm running an old Pentium 166MHz, 32MB Ram, 2GB SCSI HDD. Currently running
kernel 2.2.18. The machine is acting decently, had no problems with it.
Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to kernel 2.4.4/5? I've read through
the changelog of 2.4.5, and quite a lot of changes has been made to the
aic7xxxx module, which I'm using (Adaptec SCSI Card).

Would these changes justify me downloading the kernel, and installing it?
Would it be faster? Since this is an old machine, I won't benefit much from
changes made to the kernel to include newer hardware. Heck, this machine
doesn't even have a monitor. X not installed. Just the basic software.

I'm in the process of upgrading all the software on this machine, so if I
need to upgrade e.g. glibc, or similar, I'm doing it anyways. Won't create
more work for me.

What do you guys think??

Peet

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is it worth upgrading kernel?
Date: 28 May 2001 08:38:42 GMT

Peet Grobler <peetgr at absa.co.za> wrote:
> Would these changes justify me downloading the kernel, and installing it?
> Would it be faster?

If the new kernel does implement things that you want to use
(e.g. USB/Reiser fs) or things that you are in desperately need for,
update, otherwise you can stick with your old kernel.

First rule of the Sysadmin: update only what is needed, when is needed,
and not before.

Since updating the kernel will probabily means update also a lot of
other things (binutils, pppd, modutils and the like).

Davide

------------------------------

From: Christopher Albert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Help, error msg. on boot up
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:55:13 +0200

Lamar Thomas wrote:

> I am running RH 7.1.  The power went out at my house and my Linux system
> went down the hard way.  When I started the system back up after the power
> came back on I got the following error msg.:
>
> Checking Root filesystem
> / contains a file system with errors, check forced
> /:
> UNATTACHED inode 24577
> /: unexpected inconsistency; RUN fsck manually.
> (i.e., without -a or -p options)
> *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> *** when you leave the shell.
> Give ROOT password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D for normal startup):
>
> After I type in the ROOT password I get a command prompt saying "filesystem
> #1".  When I type "fsck" the command prompt changes to "filesystem #2".  I
> repeated this all the way to "filesystem #250".  That's where I stopped.  As
> far as I know, it would have gone on forever!
>
> When I run the "shutdown -h now" command and restart my system I get the
> same problem.  Anyone know how I can get my system back up and running?
> Thanks for any and all help.
>
> Lamar

Lamar

Try it with
#fsck -y /dev/hdxx

where /dev/hdxx corresponds to the partitions that need checking, which
will give a "yes" answer to all the questions.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Corne Beerse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:33:53 +0200

Shore Linux Solutions wrote:

> I am running rh linux 7.1 I have a zip disk that a friend of mine put
> some
> graphic files on for me.  However the zip disk was done on a zip disk
> machine.  What I would like to do is mount the disc on the linux box and
>
> transfer the files to the box.  However each time I attempt to mount
> the file system it is telling me that it is an incorrect type.
>
> The following command is the exact command I am entering (mount -t hfs
> /dev/hdc /mnt/zip100.0)  I have no problems seeing windows formatted zip

I recal by head that M$-Win machines put the filesystem on the 3rd
partition of the zipdisk, definitely not in the first partition. I don't
know about a mac but I'd expect the same.

My external (parallel port) zip disk was at /dev/sda and the filesystem
was in /dev/sda2. If you have an IDE zipdisk, try to mount /dev/hdc0
trough /dev/hdc7.

> disc but I cannot get this mac zip disc mounted at all.  I have even
> looked in /proc/filesystems and I don't see hfs listed.  However when I
> looked at the man page for mount and hfs is a valid type for the -t
> argument.
>
> Can you please direct me to anyway that I can properly view the contents
> of a mac formatted disc?

Have the mount find out the used filesystem, ommit the -t option.

CB

--
Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler - A. Einstein
Corne' Beerse                                   | Alcatel Telecom Nederland

------------------------------

From: Corne Beerse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:01:03 +0200

Peet Grobler wrote:
> I'm running an old Pentium 166MHz, 32MB Ram, 2GB SCSI HDD. Currently running
> kernel 2.2.18. The machine is acting decently, had no problems with it.
> Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to kernel 2.4.4/5? I've read through
> the changelog of 2.4.5, and quite a lot of changes has been made to the
> aic7xxxx module, which I'm using (Adaptec SCSI Card).

So you read the changes, can you considder them as upgrades to your
platform? If no, then there's no need to upgrade there. You might
considder upgrades in the 2.2.x range if available.

> Would these changes justify me downloading the kernel, and installing it?
> Would it be faster? Since this is an old machine, I won't benefit much from
> changes made to the kernel to include newer hardware. Heck, this machine
> doesn't even have a monitor. X not installed. Just the basic software.
>
> I'm in the process of upgrading all the software on this machine, so if I
> need to upgrade e.g. glibc, or similar, I'm doing it anyways. Won't create
> more work for me.

well, if you are upgrading and it gets more and more like re-installing,
then yes, I'd upgrade to the best available (not the newest!). Then
upgrading to a 2.4.x is something. Have a look at 2.4.x distributions
and the websites for the upgrades from the suppliers. Take it the easy
way, start with the 2.4.x distribution from your current supplier.

CB

From: "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:50:34 +0200

<SNIP>
>So you read the changes, can you considder them as upgrades to your
>platform? If no, then there's no need to upgrade there. You might
>considder upgrades in the 2.2.x range if available.

That's the thing. What did they change? Is there a way to find out before
downloading the entire kernel? I know they've changed the module for my SCSI
card, but what were the changes?

>> Would these changes justify me downloading the kernel, and installing it?
>> Would it be faster? Since this is an old machine, I won't benefit much
from
>> changes made to the kernel to include newer hardware. Heck, this machine
>> doesn't even have a monitor. X not installed. Just the basic software.
>>
>> I'm in the process of upgrading all the software on this machine, so if I
>> need to upgrade e.g. glibc, or similar, I'm doing it anyways. Won't
create
>> more work for me.
>>

>well, if you are upgrading and it gets more and more like re-installing,
>then yes, I'd upgrade to the best available (not the newest!). Then
>upgrading to a 2.4.x is something. Have a look at 2.4.x distributions
>and the websites for the upgrades from the suppliers. Take it the easy
>way, start with the 2.4.x distribution from your current supplier.

The problem here is - I'm not on a standard distribution. It used to be a
Linux From Scratch system, whereafter I installed the "rpm" package from a
Mandrake system, and installed quite a lot of rpm's using that. This all got
very confusing, and, as a better alternative, I've collected the source for
everything on the machine. If I do a "cd /usr/src" and "make", it'll
re-build the whole system. Why? I don't know. I set it up like that while
building the system (the second time). Besides, if anything is already
compiled, it won't do it again.

So, if I want to upgrade the kernel, I'll have to download the source, and
re-compile. Like everything else.

------------------------------

From: "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:55:00 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<9et2qh$10v4u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Peet Grobler <peetgr at absa.co.za> wrote:
>> Would these changes justify me downloading the kernel, and installing it?
>> Would it be faster?
>
>If the new kernel does implement things that you want to use
>(e.g. USB/Reiser fs) or things that you are in desperately need for,
>update, otherwise you can stick with your old kernel.
>
>First rule of the Sysadmin: update only what is needed, when is needed,
>and not before.

Yeah, I read that in a bosx aix manual I have. Though, what if they changed
something, so now suddenly my SCSI disk runs at double speed? Yes, I don't
need it, but man, won't that be great? Similar with other changes.

Note: This is not a "production" box per-se. I see it as a "production" box
only for myself, since I use it as a database server, and to do quite a lot
of development on. If it goes down, I'm gonna be bored out of my mind! But
no-one else will notice. So changes are not THAT interfering.

------------------------------

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:05:56 +0200

On Mon, 28 May 2001, grendel wrote:

> How can I get rid of the "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error I get
> a t startup (think it causes NFS Server to fail or something)?  This started
> after I upgraded to 2.4.X (2.4.5)?  I compiled with NFS server and client as
> modules. Thanks.

Don't start lockd in your startup scripts (just comment it out). It is
started automatically by 2.4 kernels and cannot be started manually
anymore.

Rasmus

--
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD.