Linux-Misc Digest #986, Volume #27               Wed, 30 May 01 16:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  The problem of a pager ("Collin E Borrlewyn")
  sfdisk complains- read only file system ("Sidster")
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers?
("Flacco")
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers? ("wade
blazingame")
  Re: Best Window Manager. (Eirik Newth)
  Re: TTI (TTY?) (John Todd)
  Re: sendmail/postfix ("Garry Knight")
  Re: k6/2 optimisation (Scott Alfter)
  Re: Upgrading glibc (Mike Castle)
  Re: xfsdump with oops (J Hayward)
  How do I burn a bootable Linux CD? (Tony)
  upgrading the kernel ("Christopher Palmer")
  getservbyport() not working in redhat? (John Vanderpool)
  Bug in anaconda installation on downloaded 7.1 version of redhat (blackpike)
  options for web based file management (Lucas)
  Re: Start bash along with X (Jesper Petersen)
  Re: Start bash along with X (Jesper Petersen)
  Re: sendmail/postfix (Kevin)
  Re: opening a *.dbf file on unix software ? (Jonathan Magid)
  RPM halts? (jamil shaikh)
  Re: Can't see the windows I minimized on the panel! ("Robert Wiegand")
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers? (Grant
Edwards)
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers? (Grant
Edwards)
  Re: manipulating /etc/passwd + /etc/group (Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner)
  How to mount remote Win2K partition? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  using jpilot backups in windowze? (Gaikokujin Kyofusho)
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers? ("Peter
T. Breuer")
  Re: How to mount remote Win2K partition? (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers? (Otto
Wyss)

From: "Collin E Borrlewyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The problem of a pager
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:13:01 -0400

Yesterday I got my Linux CD (Libranet 1.9.1, if anyone cares) in the mail
and spent the rest of the day, as well as most of this morning, playing with
it.

When I finally get everything set up I'm going to move permanently away from
windows. And so, I am frantic to get everything working, to make sure I can
function well. My own problem is as follows: In Windows I've been using
LiteStep for almost two years. (If you are not familiar with LiteStep, it is
a shell replacement for windows, replacing explorer.exe). The keyboard
shortcuts, LSXCommand settings, and look and feel can all be duplicated or
done without in various ways in Linux. My trouble is the virtual window
manager. The name is misleading, perhaps, but it serves (apparently) much
the same function as a pager does in Linux. I have LiteStep set up to have a
64px wharf along the righthand side of the screen which contains a clock, a
calculator, and more things of that sort, but mostly it contains my VWM. I
have it configured for 4x4, 16 desktops. The convenience is staggering.
Managing windows is simple now. Had I never switched from Explorer, I'd be
sending this message from KMail, Pine, or something, but having lived with
the convenience of dragging and dropping maximized windows about an
effective 4096x3072 screen I've become addicted. I can't go back. Even if I
could, my productivity would drop some measurable (and unacceptable) amount.

I've looked at the pagers that came with  the system. KPager works, but you
can't move maximized windows around, and you can't have a grid of desktops
(only a stack or a row) thus eating in on screen space. The little VWM-like
thing that I see in AfterStep, which I'm lead to understand LiteStep was
based on, doesn't appear to allow dragging and dropping at all. Those are
all I can find on-system. A search of groups.google.com reveals many
discussions about pagers, but few are ever mentioned by name, and most
discussions do not touch on this particular topic.

This brings me to my question, after more than enough preamble: Where can I
find a Linux program that gives me comparable functionality to that of
LiteStep's LSVWM.DLL or SYSVWM.DLL.

Fear not, I shall be making a very similar enquiry (with a very different
preamble) to the LiteStep mailing list, and in this fashion covering as many
bases whose existence my poor brain can comprehend.

 ~Collin E Borrlewyn
  ~ END THE TYRANNY. VOTE 'DISEMBODIED MONKEY HEAD' FOR PRESIDENT.

------------------------------

From: "Sidster" <vajirkar at cisco>
Subject: sfdisk complains- read only file system
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:16:53 -0700

Hi,
I've got a scsi disk with some partitions mounted as read only.  I want to
clear out all the partition information and I want to use:
sfdisk /dev/sda <<EOF
0,0,0
EOF

Before doing this I'm making sure that the partitions mounted as readonly
are remounted and read+write and then unmounted. When I try the mentioned
sfdisk command it complains that the file system is read only.
What gives?

Thanks much!
- Sid

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:18:23 GMT

> I also don't like to subscribe and would like to read them as news but
> since this isn't possible now I usually read through the mailinglists
> archive. As long as I don't post answers this is fine.

Well, this is kind of the point, I think - it's a matter of convenience
for users.  It woud be nice to be able to pop into a news server and post
a comment or question without having to go through the subscription process.

You can monitor the server for responses, then ignore it until you want to
use it again, without having every single message that's posted clutter
your inbox.

------------------------------

From: "wade blazingame" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:21:52 GMT

> If you can't deal with these "problems," maybe you should think about
> another career.  Seriously.

I'm quite happy with my career, but thanks for the advice.

I'm not just asking for myself; simplifying access to mailing lists makes
Linux more friendly on the desktop to new users.

------------------------------

From: Eirik Newth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Window Manager.
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:21:34 +0200

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> Try www.pricewatch.com, where you'll find several dealers of really cheap
> RAM.  For a better guarantee, try www.cricial.com.

Ah, but that's before Norwegian customs get hold of the package. Add mail
and handling charges to this, and you're looking at the same price I have
to pay here. :-(

Regards,

Eirik Newth

---

The Seven site: http://newth.net/psion7

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Todd)
Subject: Re: TTI (TTY?)
Date: 30 May 2001 16:25:43 GMT

        The Text-Terminal-HOWTO will help you...

--
John E. Todd   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

_______________________________
possibly posted on $5 XT clone.
Internet for All!

------------------------------

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail/postfix
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 00:53:49 +0100

http://postfix.linux.it/basic.html

--
Garry Knight

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Subject: Re: k6/2 optimisation
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:39:02 -0000

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Castle)
Subject: Re: Upgrading glibc
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:53:10 -0700

In article <3b147a8f$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peet Grobler <peetgr at absa.co.za> wrote:
>Question : All my apps are compiled using glibc version X. Now I'm upgrading
>glibc to X+1. Will the apps still work? I will re-compile everything, but
>for the moment I can't.

Existing applications will work.

Any applications you compile in the future (until you recompile X) may or
may not work.

Actually, same goes for any library.

If a library was built against glibc X and you upgrade to glibc >X, then
you should recompile all of your libraries.  They may or may not work
properly.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/

From: J Hayward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xfsdump with oops
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:02:20 -0700

Hello,

I believe that was fixed in cvs. Look at the XFS mailing list archives.

http://linux-xfs.sgi.com/projects/xfs/ml.html

Regards,
        Jim H

------------------------------

From: Tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do I burn a bootable Linux CD?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:30:08 -0000

I recently bought RedHat Linux 7.1 and I want to make a copy so that my
friend can play with it. But everytime I try to copy the CDs using Easy
Creator or Nero, it failed.

First, I can copy the whole CD on my hard disk nut how can I make it into a
bootable CD?

Second, Is there any CD burning software that can do a raw copy of the CDs?

Tony.

From: "Christopher Palmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: upgrading the kernel
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:35:29 -0700

    I installed Red Hat Linux release 7.0 on my Compaq i686.
I am running kernel 2.2.16-22 and want to upgrade to kernel 2.2.19.
When I login to the server, it shows "Kernel 2.2.16-22 on an i686".

    Here are my questions:

Do I download and install the i368 or the i686 version RPM for the kernel?

Also, there is an i686 version for the glibc package.  Do I match this
version to the kernel?

What are the reasons for choosing one over the other?

Thanks for the help,
-Christopher

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Vanderpool)
Subject: getservbyport() not working in redhat?
Date: 30 May 01 18:26:51 GMT

i have a little piece of stub code here that won't work on
RH 6.2 or 7.1 and works fine on hpux, irix and solaris;
can somebody explain why it doesn't work on redhat? (it
always returns a null ptr)

i added the htonl() call as a last resort
i also for grins thru in a setservent() call to no avail

this was for a small change to the portsentry pkg so it
will print the service name in the log file (instead of just
the number)

remove nospamthanx in email addr (or just followup to usenet)

        thanx,
                fish

======================

#include <netdb.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>

main()
{
struct servent *serventp;

      serventp = getservbyport( (int) htonl( (u_long)79 ), "tcp" );

      if( serventp != NULL )
      {
        printf( "%s/%d\n", serventp-> s_name, serventp-> s_port );
      }
      else
        perror("getservbyport");

}
--
                                 .            ,
                                  .        .:/
                                      >::::::::;;\\\
                                        ''\\\\\'" ';\
                                           ';\

"that's the way its been in town, ever since they tore the jukebox down;
  two-bit piece don't buy no more, not so much as it done before..."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (blackpike)
Subject: Bug in anaconda installation on downloaded 7.1 version of redhat
Date: 30 May 2001 11:57:01 -0700

Hi,
  I've just downloaded Redhat 7.1 from www.tux.org. over about 5 days
after transfering the iso images to CDROM and trying to install it from
cd. Halfway through the installation process it comes up with an error
about
  File "/usr/bin/anaconda" line 520.

is Redhat 7.1 stable or a development platform.

should I download an older version of RedHat?

I had RedHat 5.2 working well on the machine untill the upgrade to 7.1
trashed it?

Should I be a realist and go and buy RedHat from a Shop, realising that
there isn't such a thing as a free lunch, and all the free downloadable
versions of linux aren't rearly as bugfree as the ones you can buy in
shop.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lucas)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: options for web based file management
Date: 30 May 2001 12:03:06 -0700

I've been on the look out for a good web based file management program
with no luck.  I'd like something that can move, delete, rename, and
view files.  I'd also like it to be able to run in Apache and have
some type of login structure.  Does anyone out there have any
suggestions?  TIA.

/Lucas

------------------------------

From: Jesper Petersen <jesperp**Delete**@nork.auc.dk>
Subject: Re: Start bash along with X
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:07:11 +0200

>Xterm will execute your shell by default. You don't have to tell it to!
>What is your shell, if not bash? (I use tcsh myself).

It's bash.

Jesper

------------------------------

From: Jesper Petersen <jesperp**Delete**@nork.auc.dk>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:09:18 +0200

>change xterm to gnome-terminal or kterm, eterm or whichever term u use...
>and check out the term's manpage to check whether it's the -e option u need
>or another one.

I don't know what the name of the term is. I use KDE, do you know what the
terminal is called then?

Jesper

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:13:56 GMT

The pointers that have been posted are good ones.  I lived with
sendmail for many years before converting to postfix.  I've been
using postfix for about two years now and it's wonderful.  I
would never go back.  Sendmail has historicly been security risk.
Postfix was designed with security in mind from the very start
and I've never had to update it for security reasons.

G'luck....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Magid)
Subject: Re: opening a *.dbf file on unix software ?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:46:06 +0000 (UTC)

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bernard DEBREIL  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi there !
>
>Could someone tell me if there is a way to recuperate a large dbf file
>on Unix (Linux) software ?  My file is too big to be imported into
>StarCalc (StarOffice), since it will not import any file larger than
>32,000 lines. Prior to import to StarCalc, I would have to split the
>file in smaller halves... to that purpose, I can't see any other means
>than to first open it into a Dbase or compatible software. Is dbase
>available on unix systems ?

There's a dbase interface for perl. It is available at CPAN at
http://search.cpan.org/search?module=DBD::XBase

In this package you get various perl interfaces to dbase-related file
format, which is useful if you program perl.

If you don't program perl, there is a script called dbfdump which will
take a dbase file and make an ASCII based delimited file for you, which
you could then split up.

cheers,
jem.

--
Global Village Idiot
Email: jem@sunsite^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmetalab^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hibiblio.org

------------------------------

From: jamil shaikh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,de.comp.os.linux,de.comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: RPM halts?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:10:57 -0400

I am trying to install bzip rpm package using rpm 3.0.1. But looks like
it is halt. It never comes back in hours until I use kill -9.
Here are the logs. Does any one has any clue.

# rpm -vv -i bzip2-1_0_1-2_ppc.rpm
D: counting packages to install
D: found 1 packages
D: looking for packages to download
D: retrieved 0 packages
D: New Header signature
D: Signature size: 68
D: Signature pad : 4
D: sigsize         : 72
D: Header + Archive: 72177
D: expected size   : 72177
D: opening database mode 0x42 in //var/lib/rpm/
D: found 0 source and 1 binary packages
D: dependencies: looking for /sbin/ldconfig
D: dependencies: looking for ld.so.1
D: dependencies: looking for libbz2.so.1
D: dependencies: looking for libc.so.6
D: dependencies: looking for /bin/sh
D: dependencies: looking for libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
D: dependencies: looking for libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
D: installing binary packages

thanks
jamil

------------------------------

From: "Robert Wiegand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't see the windows I minimized on the panel!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:06:54 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Karthik Subramanian"

> Everytime I minimize a window in  GNOME (Linux  7.0), it dissapears from
> the taksbar. However, I can click on the 'arrow' in the desk guide and
> get the window open. I do not know which setting to change to get the
> task applet to my panel.
>
> Could someone help me out.
> Karthik Subramanian.

Check the task bar properties.

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:35:31 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tim Smith wrote:
>On Tue, 29 May 2001 23:34:27 -0000, Steve Lamb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>If the mailing lists are archived at all, they're archived using terrible
>>>HTML interfaces that are illogically presented, painful to use and
>>>inflexible.
>>
>>    As opposed to news where, after it expires off the news server the only
>>option is generally Deja which is archived using a terrible HTML interface
>>that is illogically presented, painful to use and inflexible.
>
>Deja archives usenet.  He didn't suggest using usenet.  He suggested
>using news servers.  There is a difference.
>
>With a news server, archiving is very simple: don't expire.

The problem with a news server is that many corporate
firewall/proxy setups don't allow connections to external NNTP
servers.  E-mail is usually allowed in and out, so that's the
lowest common denominator for many sites.   Somebody else has
already pointed out that gatewaying between a local news server
and a mailing list is easy enough.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Will this
                                  at               never-ending series of

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:37:28 GMT

In article <zX9R6.3025$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Flacco wrote:
>> I also don't like to subscribe and would like to read them as news but
>> since this isn't possible now I usually read through the mailinglists
>> archive. As long as I don't post answers this is fine.
>
>Well, this is kind of the point, I think - it's a matter of convenience
>for users.  It woud be nice to be able to pop into a news server and post
>a comment or question without having to go through the subscription process.

The "convenience" of being able to post without subscribing is
exactly what makes Usenet susceptible to spamming.

>You can monitor the server for responses, then ignore it until you want to
>use it again, without having every single message that's posted clutter
>your inbox.

Messages from mailing-lists don't go into my inbox -- they go
into the mailbox assigned to that mailing list.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Am I accompanied by
                                  at               a PARENT or GUARDIAN?

------------------------------

From: Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: manipulating /etc/passwd + /etc/group
Date: 30 May 2001 19:39:20 GMT

Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
(re: user "foo" in group "foo")
> No, this is a (bad) redhatism. Usually, users will belong to larger
> groups, such as "students", "staff", etc. There is nothing wrong with
> having two users in the same group. It is even normal. That's the point
> of groups .. that they should contain more than one user.

> I believe RH invented some scheme for fine control via groups that
> depended on everyone having a singular primary group. Anyone recall
> what it was?

        The general idea is this: if many people are working on a project in
a common directory, you want the files to be owned by the project-group and
writable by the project-group.  (For example, /var/projects/brazil would be
drwxrwsr-x  12 root     brazil         4096 Apr 18 14:28 brazil/
and a file in it would be
-rw-rw-r--   1 joe     brazil       213120 May 17 18:26 plans.abc )
This lets everyone in the group write new files into the directory and edit
existing files in the directory.  The setgid bit is necessary so that when
joe creates a file there, its ownership is joe/brazil, not joe/joe.

        So why joe/joe anyway?  Well, for other people to be able to edit
the file, the permissions on it have to be 66x.  The simplest thing to do
is for joe to set his umask to 007 - but if he were joe/users, then all
of the files he created would be editable by anyone in group users!  So his
primary group has to be unique to him.

        Yes, the _really_ correct thing to do would be to have joe in group
users, and just have him chgrp and chown all the files he creates in the
project directory...but good luck getting him to do that.  I've worked in
just such an environment, and in a place where most of the users barely
understand that they're using Unix, much less what "ownership" and "groups"
and "permissions" are, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle.

JDW

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to mount remote Win2K partition?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:43:39 GMT

I used to mount my Windows NT 4.0 server NTFS partition locally on  my
RH 7.0 linux box using the following command;

mount -t smbfs -ousername=joeuser,password=joezpasswd
//172.20.22.242/c$ /mnt/smb

and all was well in the universe.

We just upgraded to a Windows 2000 server and I get the following
error when using this command;

session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gaikokujin Kyofusho)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: using jpilot backups in windowze?
Date: 30 May 2001 12:58:13 -0700

hi, for reasons waaaay outa my control (lets just say murphys law has
been kicking me in the a*s lately) i stuck in the situation where i
have windows ("ME" on a notebook to be specific) and jpilot backup
files of my handspring visor that i did on my desktop running suse.  I
desparately need to get (at the very least) the jpilot address file
converted over into something that the windows palmdesk can read and i
don't really have access to a linux computer now... sigh.  Any help on
 this would be greatly appricated.

-Gaiko

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:53:31 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc wade blazingame <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> If you can't deal with these "problems," maybe you should think about
>> another career.  Seriously.

> I'm quite happy with my career, but thanks for the advice.

> I'm not just asking for myself; simplifying access to mailing lists makes
> Linux more friendly on the desktop to new users.

Are you unable to get it? Route your mailing list to a news server if
you feel like it! There are plenty of news/mail gateways! I run a
three-way gateway on all my lists: news, mail and http.

Look at berolist for an example of at least a 2-way gateway.

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to mount remote Win2K partition?
Date: 30 May 2001 20:06:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I used to mount my Windows NT 4.0 server NTFS partition locally on  my
> RH 7.0 linux box using the following command;

> mount -t smbfs -ousername=joeuser,password=joezpasswd
> //172.20.22.242/c$ /mnt/smb

> and all was well in the universe.

> We just upgraded to a Windows 2000 server and I get the following
> error when using this command;

> session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
> SMB connection failed

That "should" still work.  You may need to look on the Win2K end.
I've had no issues mounting Win2K shares from RH 6.2.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Otto Wyss)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:08:36 +0200

> Well, this is kind of the point, I think - it's a matter of convenience
> for users.  It woud be nice to be able to pop into a news server and post
> a comment or question without having to go through the subscription process.

You don't have to subscribe for posting (sending ordinary e-mails) to
mailing lists, only to get the mails delivered to you.

The onyway gateway is probably the best solution for both sides.

O. Wyss