From: "kyi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I burn a bootable Linux CD?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:51:47 -0700

------------------------------

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,redhat.networking.general,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Apache question
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:55:51 GMT

I am running RH 7.1 and I have FTP and Apache web servers working.
However, after rebooting my Linux box no one can connect to my Apache
web server until I issue the following command:  # "service httpd
restart".

Anyone know how I can make Apache auto start after a reboot?  Thanks for
any and all help.

Lamar

------------------------------

From: "kyi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The problem of a pager
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:38:47 -0700

Enlightenment will do what your are looking for. I am not sure about
dropping the window on the pager will make the window goto that
virtual desktop, but dragging the window to that side of the screen
or to the bottom for that matter will produce the same results.

- -Jayson Garrell

news:3b1529f7$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "kyi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a computer on a PCI card in a computer?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:48:21 -0700

------------------------------

From: "kyi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Desktop Environments
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:56:28 -0700

------------------------------

From: Adam Byron Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tv-out with voodoo3 3000
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 00:05:29 +0000 (UTC)

Please someone point me towards some docs' about video out support under
linux for the voodoo3 3000. I have done much surfing and I can only seem
to find info on video-in, or capture cards. I want to be able to play
movies on my computer and send it out to my vcr.

thanks,
Adam

PS I'm running RH7.1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Sims)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 00:02:10 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001 21:53:31 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Look at berolist for an example of at least a 2-way gateway.

Is there a website dedicated to berolist?  A web search for "berolist"
mainly turns up message group postings regarding errors with
berolist...just wondering where I could find some more information
about the software.  Thanks!
Michael Sims
mhsims at midsouth dot rr dot com
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

From: GreySoul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help I must uninstall linux mandrake
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:29:27 -0700

On Wed, 30 May 2001 15:39:46 -0500, Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>GreySoul wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 May 2001 12:30:05 -0000, Gianky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>I have no win on my hd i have only linux i must cancel linux and linux
>>>partition, create a new partition (normal hd c:) i don't know how i can do
>>>to have a normal hd an how i can install win please HELP me replay to
>>>[EMAIL PROTECTED]     or   [EMAIL PROTECTED] thanks
>>

>> Just use a DOS or Win 9x boot floppy that have the commands FDISK and
>> FORMAT.
>>
>> Fdisk the partition according to your needs, and then format.
>>
>> Install Windows.
>>
>> --
>> blase blah
>>

>That doesn't work.  man fdisk

Of course it does.  Its worked fine for me in the past.  Why would you
"man fdisk" from a DOS/Windows boot floppy?  It will not recognize the
linux partition type but it will let you delete it.

--
blase blah

------------------------------

From: "Herb Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Using TAR
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:41:08 -0500

"David Douthitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Filipp Sapienza wrote:
> >
> > Hello. I have a directory called /stuff with the following contents:
> >
> > myfile
> > otherfile
> > junk
> > happy
> > /one
> > /two
> > /gallery
> >
> > Is it possible to use tar to store everything except /gallery?
> > What is the syntax to do this?
>
> How about this?
>
> ls -1d * | grep -v gallery | xargs tar czvf mytar.tar.gz

Tar can do this by itself. Use:

tar cxvf mytar.tar.gz . --exclude gallery

--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group

------------------------------

From: "David Emmett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:42:48 +1000

Use the Easy CD Creator CD copy option.  It duplicates or clones the CD.

Cheers.

"Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I recently bought RedHat Linux 7.1 and I want to make a copy so that my
> friend can play with it. But everytime I try to copy the CDs using Easy
> Creator or Nero, it failed.
>
> First, I can copy the whole CD on my hard disk nut how can I make it into
> bootable CD?
>
> Second, Is there any CD burning software that can do a raw copy of the
CDs?

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:13:20 -0400
From: Mike Hammock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xWindow Server for Win/98

I was hoping to find something cheaper, but when I tried the
evaluation copy of  Xmanager, I was sold...

Thanks for the recommendation

Mike

------------------------------

From: "twamn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Please help me get WIN98 back!!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:15:45 -0500

Here is what happened.

I had drive C with win NT 4 and a blank drive D.  I went to load Win 2K on
drive D which it did but it placed the boot record on drive C which I can
say was not what I was expecting.

tom

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (3FE)
Subject: Re: running X applications as root after /bin/su
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 01:24:25 GMT

On Tue, 29 May 2001 03:45:34 GMT, 3FE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insisted:
> On Mon, 28 May 2001 17:07:34 -0400, wroot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insisted:
> >
> > For some reason, I can't run X applications as root after doing /bin/su
>
> For good reason.  If you need something, add yourself to its group

Oops.  Wrong answer.

Before you su, do xhost +localhost.  Then after you su, do export
DISPLAY=:0.0

Now root's X apps will appear on your user's X display.

Sorry for the confusion.  Read the question carefully ...

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Give up Spammers; I use procmail.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: getservbyport() not working in redhat?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 01:24:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Vanderpool wrote:
>i have a little piece of stub code here that won't work on
>RH 6.2 or 7.1 and works fine on hpux, irix and solaris;
>can somebody explain why it doesn't work on redhat? (it
>always returns a null ptr)
>
>i added the htonl() call as a last resort
[-]
Close but no cigar 8-) You *do* have to use network byte
order but use htons() ...
[-]
>      serventp = getservbyport( (int) htonl( (u_long)79 ), "tcp" );
[-]
serventp = getservbyport( htons( 79 ), "tcp" );
... and try again.
[-]

Hope it helps,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)
Subject: Re: Cron problem - what's this message mean?
Date: 31 May 2001 01:30:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Running Redhat Linux 6.2  on i386, as a webserver with Apache PHP and
>mySql.
>
>Trying to deal with the problem of getting a cron event to trigger a php
>script. crontab has this:
>
>* * * * * lynx http://www.omivore.ca/somePage.php
>
>The idea is to get lynx to load the php page to trigger the script.
>
>Cron runs the event but reports
>
>Your terminal lacks the ability to cler the screen or position the
>cursor.
>
>And so lynx never gets around to loading the page. What do I need to do?

Use lynx -dump (and send the output somewhere, or it will be mailed to
you), or use wget instead of lynx; neither of these needs cursor controls
and they should work from cron.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 01:43:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dan Donaldson wrote:
>Running Redhat Linux 6.2  on i386, as a webserver with Apache PHP and
>mySql.
>
>Trying to deal with the problem of getting a cron event to trigger a php
>script. crontab has this:
>
>* * * * * lynx http://www.omivore.ca/somePage.php
>
>The idea is to get lynx to load the php page to trigger the script.
>
>Cron runs the event but reports
>
>Your terminal lacks the ability to cler the screen or position the
>cursor.
[-]
Which terminal is cron supposed to have ? There you are ;)

>And so lynx never gets around to loading the page. What do I need to do?
[-]
I don't know lynx, but wget has an option -q(uiet) which causes it
to produce no output. Say ...
* * * * * wget -q http://www.omivore.ca/somePage.php
... could do the job. May be you can run lynx redirecting
its output to /dev/null if you're not having wget.

Hope it helps,
Juergen

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: Upgrading glibc
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 01:43:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Castle wrote:
>In article <3b147a8f$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Peet Grobler <peetgr at absa.co.za> wrote:
>>Question : All my apps are compiled using glibc version X. Now I'm upgrading
>>glibc to X+1. Will the apps still work? I will re-compile everything, but
>>for the moment I can't.
>

>Existing applications will work.
[-]
Most ... Sun's JDK seems to have problems with glibc-2.2.3. Using
IBM's version here ... no problems.

>Any applications you compile in the future (until you recompile X) may or
>may not work.
>
>Actually, same goes for any library.
>
>If a library was built against glibc X and you upgrade to glibc >X, then
>you should recompile all of your libraries.  They may or may not work
>properly.
[-]
Hmmm ... usually they do since glibc has been having versioning support
for quite some time. Quite some of my shared libraries are > 2 years
old and I'm using glibc-2.2.3 at the moment.

Ta',
Juergen