  Re: where to put things like 'apache start'? (Steve)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan Hunter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Problems upgrading from RH6.2 to RH7.1
Date: 6 Jun 2001 08:14:09 -0700

I just completed an upgrade (from Red Hat 7.1 original distribution
CDs) to RH7.1 overtop a RH6.2 installation.  It seems to have worked
except for the fact that XFree86 doesn't start up.  Below is the log.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW:  my system is a Dell OptiPlex 110 with an Intel PIII Celeron
566MHz 128MB, on-board video (Intel 82810-DC100 CGC, 16MB) and a Dell
M770 monitor.

XFree86 Version 4.0.3 / X Window System
Release Date: 16 March 2001
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.2.17-8smp i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Wed Jun  6 10:52:51
2001
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (??) unknown.
(==) ServerLayout "XFree86 Configured"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "DELL M770"
(**) |   |-->Device "Intel 810"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) XKB: layout: "us"
(**) FontPath set to "unix/:7100"
(==) RgbPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
(--) using VT number 7

(II) Open APM successful
(II) Module ABI versions:
        XFree86 ANSI C Emulation: 0.1
        XFree86 Video Driver: 0.3
        XFree86 XInput driver : 0.1
        XFree86 Server Extension : 0.1
        XFree86 Font Renderer : 0.2
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module bitmap
(II) UnloadModule: "bitmap"
(EE) Failed to load module "bitmap" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module pcidata
(II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"
(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)

Fatal server error:
Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Setiathome
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George T.)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:27:26 GMT

That's cause you forgot the most important step in setting
up anything:

% less README

George

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X-server access problem in RH 7.1
Date: 06 Jun 2001 18:20:10 +0300

Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> No, both machines are on the LAN behind the firewall. Is it possible RedHat is
>setting up its own firewall and not allowing telnet access from a remote computer?

Yes, there's a firewall setup step in the RH7.1 installation, and if I
remember correctly the default setting is "maximum security" which
doesn't allow any incoming connections. Use lokkit or gnome-lokkit to
change the firewall configuration.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: rc.local file.
Date: 06 Jun 2001 18:25:54 +0300

"Liverpool_fc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> however this file looks like a script. and i need to add a few services/
> modules that start on boot.

Services are started at boot by scripts in the /etc/rc.d/init.d
directory and symlinks to those scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc[0-6].d
Normally you don't touch those scripts or links manually, but use a
tool like chkconfig or ntsysv. Modules for devices are defined in
/etc/modules.conf.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Dennis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laptop umruesten
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:28:24 +0200

Hi!

> Auf englisch, bitte...

Ok, same text in english.

I've got an old Laptop (i386, 400 MB Harddisk, 66 MHz) at home and like to
prepare it for the internet.
At the moment, Windows 3.1 is installed and I'd like to know how to change
this to SuSE 7.0 or 7.1, if that is possible (because of the low Harddisk).
One more problem ist that there is no CD-Rom Drive in the laptop, just a
3,5 inch Drive.
If it's possible, please give me a detailed descrition how to do that,
because i've not finished being a newbie ;)

CU, Dennis.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oliver)
Subject: Tango2000 (client error)
Date: 6 Jun 2001 08:34:36 -0700

Hello,

I looking for peoples how work too with high running Tango2000 Web
Application Server, unfortunately is this product not any longer
supported by the manufacturers.

In example we running website with more than 800'000 hits per day on
Tango2000/Apache.

In undefined time there is a "tango client error" then I have to
restart the tango2000 server, after this restart it seems all okey
again for a undefinied time till the next "tango client error".

anybody, has some nice tunning tips? or special documentaion about
memory organisiation/threads etc.

I suppose it can be, thats tango2000 not realy good manage the memory,
so if a restart occurs the memory is again clean!

any suggestions, experience?

greez
oli

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ryan McGuigan)
Subject: Re: CD Burning/SCSI emulation with RH 7.1
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:55:45 GMT

Disable kudzu, you'll be happier

root ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hello,

: I used to have RH 7.0 running the 2.2 kernel, and then I upgraded to 7.1
: with the 2.4 kernel.  Both of my CD drives (IDEs) were working under
: /dev/scd0 (the reader 0,0,0) and /dev/scd1 (the burner 0,1,0).  After
: the upgrade, kudzu found my CD-ROM drive for some reason and added it to
: /etc/hosts even though it was already set under /dev/scd0.  It is no
: longer recognized as being SCSI.  My CD burner was left at /dev/scd1 and
: is still recognized as a SCSI device, but is now at 0,0,0.  cdrecord's
: scanbus option no longer can detect my reader so I can't make disc
: copies as easily as I could before.  What should I do?

: Adios,
:             Pablo

: --
: -------------------------
: http://www.pablojones.com
: -------------------------

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WYSIWYG HTML Editor for linux
Date: 06 Jun 2001 18:30:27 +0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Saqib Ali) writes:
> Howdy All,
>
> Is there a good WYSIWYG HTML editor for linux????

Yes. Use Emacs and the HTML code you see in the window is exactly the
HTML code you get in your file.

:-)

--
        Markku Kolkka

Crossposted-To: redhat.general
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: A plea to those posting questions
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:08:44 GMT

[Please note FollowUp-To: header]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb) writes:

>On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 06:42:02 GMT, M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>No, that's just plain wrong.

>    No, it is not, it is a choice.

Not in my world. RFC822 and 1036 define the message headers of Usenet
postings to be containing the deliverable email address of the poster.
On some parts of Usenet, this is even mandatory, and not following
the guidelines will cause your account to be removed.

>>It is NOT our job to make sure our email addresses don't get on
>>everyone's marketing lists. It is our job to stop spamming by
>>stopping the spam sources and the spammers.

>    It is not a job, either way, unless you happen to be a postmaster
>for some
>domain.

- which I am, but even if I wasn't, I'd still hunt them down.
But that's a bit pointless. The fact is, that we have a right
to be using real email addresses, and spammers don't have the right to
abuse these for marketing purposes. It is not up to the average
poster to have to take complicated precautions just to send messages -
instead, it has to be up to the marketers to make sure that people
are willing to receive their stuff.

>>I will definitely not jump through any hoops (may they be as
>>tricky or easy-to-be-spotted as possible) to get a mail through.

>    That is fine.  That is your choice as well.

OK ;-)

>>I will not munge my address just because sneaky spammers may
>>collect it. They send me spam, I get their accounts nuked.

>    Again, your choice.

It's the only way that really helps, instead of shifting the
burden and the problems elsewhere.

No. Obviously not, because I wrote:

>>Not to mention the fact that I will certainly not go online
>>just for to hunt
>>for your email address - unless you pay me for doing so.

[...]

See? I'll not start an online session to find someone's (admittedly
tricky) hidden email address.

OK, I think we can put that to a rest now, therefor followups
will go to poster.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:09:43 GMT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 08:45:05 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (del_bert)
wrote:

>On 6 Jun 2001 11:23:13 GMT, Rainer Krienke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>      [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Saqib Ali) writes:
>>> Howdy All,
>>>
>>> Is there a good WYSIWYG HTML editor for linux???? I used to use Star Office,
>>> but then I found out it doesnt support nested tables as of yet. For what I do,
>>> i need nested tables. I dont like the composer that comes with netscape, cause
>>> it can not handle forms.
>>>
>>> Lemme know if sucha beast exist :)
>>>
>>> Saqib Ali
>>> God bless you:)
>>>
>>> http://www.stonebeat.org
>>

>> There is at least one commercial good graphical html editor for linux.
>> Its hpbuilder from IBM.
>
>I thought one had to run it in wine.
>
>Use Amaya, done by the w3 consortium. It should meet the standards and
>it's free.

...and while you're thinking 'standards', download and install
HTML-tidy, also from the w3 consortium, and use it often.

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

From: "alikbm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: suse 7.2 - japanese
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 19:04:47 +0200

hi guys i am a little new to suse (not to linux)
so can anyone explain me what's the catch
with the jap 7.1 prof. edition which is on
suse ftp server ?

as i understand anyone can download it, change
the language at the very begining of installation
and enjoy full professional edition....

and what would happen when suse 7.2 will
come out soon..
will we see the new jap 7.2 prof edition ?

and at last generally what is all about
with all that live-eveluation editions ?

can't suse be like all normal editions:
e,g : Mandrake, Red-hat....

------------------------------

From: inetquestion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.questions,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: named - fails to recognize service is already running??
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:22:57 -0400

Ok I added the listen-on line in the options section.  I looked at the man pages for
named and
its not very informative.  I was wondering what the transfer-format option does.

transfer-format many-answers;
listen-on { 192.168.100.1; };

Thanks for helping,

mailto:inetquestion

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: where to put things like 'apache start'?
Date: 06 Jun 2001 19:00:15 +0300

"luther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> There are a few things I would like to start everytime my RH7.1 Linux
> machine boots:
> apache
> samba
> lisa
>
> I was wonding where I should put these things.

Use ntsysv and mark all services you want to start at boot time. Note
that apache may be shown as "httpd"

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Robert_L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:30:32 -0400

Markku Kolkka wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Saqib Ali) writes:
>> Howdy All,
>>
>> Is there a good WYSIWYG HTML editor for linux????
>
> Yes. Use Emacs and the HTML code you see in the window is exactly the
> HTML code you get in your file.
>
> :-)

http://www-4.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/linux/download_1.html
I haven't tried it.  I did know enough html to make a page at one time but its
been a long time and I might be tempted to use it if I had to do a page quickly
that had anything else but the basics in it.  Html is def worth learning though
if you are going to be doing this much, as no doubt others will inform you in
an angry tone.
Robert_L
--
Registered Linux user #214645
remove spamfree when replying directly

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:40:55 -0500

Ian Northeast wrote:

> Leonard Evens wrote:
>
> > At least half the time when I respond to a question, I get email
> > asking for further details.  It is often easier to help someone
> > in this way than to try to communicated through the newsgroup.
>
> I disagree. I dislike personal emails from people I have tried to help,
> if the subject is still on topic. The whole point is to have the answers
> on the public record so others don't have to ask the same questions, and
> for the questions to be seen by many people surely. Just because I knew
> the answer to someone's first question doesn't mean that I'm the best
> person to answer their second (or that I am right:) I prefer my answers
> to be subject to public scrutiny than have someone follow my advice and
> fail because it is wrong.
>
> > I understand the desire to avoid spam; I get my share.  But I
> > doubt if many spam creators use mailings to linux newsgroups
> > as a source of e-mail addresses.  I don't seem to notice an
> > increase in spam as a result of my relatively frequent postings
> > to such groups which don't have any no-spam inserts in my
> > e-mail address.
>
> Well I seem to get a load of spam, and I contribute only to Linux and
> other Unix related groups, plus a very occasional post to alt.food.wine.
> I can't see where else it comes from. I recently revived a dialup
> account I used to use at work, so I could be a "third party" for email
> testing, from which I only ever posted to comp.unix.aix, and got 60 odd
> pieces of UCE the first time I dialled it up. That is a less likely spam
> source than Linux groups IMO.
>
> However, I do feel that anyone munging their address should put an
> explanation in a .sig so humans can tell.
>
> NB my address *is* genuine.
>
> Regards, Ian

I agree generally with what you say, but as with all general
principles, they often fail in practice.   In fact, when I get
follow up questions in response to my postings I find they involve
nitty gritty personal details that probably are not of interest to
the newsgroup as a whole.  If I don't know the answer, I either
respond briefly to that effect, or I don't respond.   It is
really not a problem.

For example, I recently encountered a problem that turned out
to be a problem in the 2.4 kernel pcmcia support.  This was not
apparent originally and it took a while to track down.  It would
not have been particularly helpful for me to carry on an open
newsgroup conversation with three of four people who either
offered advice or had similar problems.  I did post my ultimate
workaround to the problem, but it would have been extremely
confusing to go exhibit all the confusions and misleading clues
that arose in the process.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank)
Subject: fetchmail config problem
Date: 6 Jun 2001 09:55:59 -0700

Is there a way to configure fetchmail to get messages from a qmail server
containing a specific string in the subject line?  What I am doing is sending
out a message to thousands of users, and fetching all the bouncebacks to my
local machine.  This works fine, but I want to leave valid responses on the
server.
Thanks,

Frank

------------------------------

From: Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What program is responsible for user count?
Date: 6 Jun 2001 17:01:16 GMT

Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have Redhat 7.1.  When I log in to an account the system shows 1
> user.  When I start X the system shows two extra users logged in.  When
> I type who it show the real user on a tty and to pts/x users.

        If you have shells open under X, then yes, this is how it works.
The system doesn't know the shells aren't separate logins.  If you don't
want xterms and the like to show up in 'who', use 'xterm -ut'.  This causes
a utmp entry (where the record of user logins is maintained) not to be
written.  Eterm and other terminal programs have similar options.

JDW

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Date: 6 Jun 2001 17:03:38 GMT

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 19:11:36 -0700, luther wrote:
>There are a few things I would like to start everytime my RH7.1 Linux
>machine boots:
>apache
>samba
>lisa

/usr/sbin/setup

On 6.2 this will give an interface where you can add services that
start without running linuxconf which in my experience just messes
everything up.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

 12:22pm  up 124 days, 13:12,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00