From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cd burn/backup question
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 09:43:22 -0400

Lori Holder-Webb wrote:

> I'm having a permissions problem with my backup files.  For a variety of
> reasons, it is most expedient for me to back my home directory up to
> CD.  For this I use XCDRoast, which has to be run as root (per the
> documentation).  The backup goes fine, the CDs are mountable, etc, but
> naturally, all of the file and group ownership changes to root.root, and
> all of the permissions are set to Read-Only.
>
> This is fine on the CD, but it's a MAJOR pain on the restore.
>
> What I'm looking for is either a way to maintain permissions and
> ownership through the burning process (understanding that I can't write
> to the media) *or* to quickly and thoroughly restore the permissions and
> ownership when I move the directory back to the hard disk.
>
> The files getting backed up/restored are a combination of directories,
> executables, read-and-write, and read-onlys.  My current method (not
> knowing any better) is to point XCDRoast at the /home directory and tell
> it to create an image of it, which is then burned.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Lori

Why not use cpio to make your backups? Then you could recover the
ownership.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: HELP! How to send MSWord mail attachments?
Date: 9 Jun 2001 14:07:06 GMT

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 04:21:51 GMT Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I know quite a few people who use Lotus Notes.  None of them
>have anything good to say about it.  It seems to be even worse
>than Exchange/Outlook when it comes to standards compliance.

I have in the past been a Notes admin and developer.  Version 3.0 was
actually pretty good, but instead of perfecting it, Lotus has added giant
wads of cruft and obscured what once made it a promising and innovative
system.

Truth:  to be a Notes -- pardon me, "Domino" --  developer now, you need to
know THREE programming languages, possibly four, and many projects will
actually REQUIRE all three.

Despite that, it's actually fairly good about standards compliance, at least
as regards MIME.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Subject: Re: selective mail forward
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 14:38:26 -0000

[posted and mailed]

* Florent Carli wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>  I use an domain name for which my DNS provider forwards any mail addressed
>  to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" to an email account I have on a linux machine
>  (tha same, whatever "anything" might be).
>  I would like to forward the mails I receive on this linux machine depending
>  on the address @mydomain.com it comes from :
>
>  ex :
>
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] --> myaccount@mylinuxbox --> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] --> myaccount@mylinuxbox -->
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  etc ...
>
>  I only know the basic utilization of .forward with linux.
>  Anybody had an idea ?

As I mentioned in another newsgroup: http://www.procmail.org

When you sent it to comp.mail.misc, it was on topic - therefor, it is
almost automaticlly off-topic in another group, _especially_ in a *misc*
group ("...for anything that doesn't fit into another group").

If you MUST post your message to more than one newsgroup, please
*cross*post (post to multiple groups at the same time, but *please* not
more than 4) instead of *multi*post (sending the same message to multiple
groups NOT at the same time).

Crossposting makes it possible that replies in one newsgroup appear in
the other groups and people don't have to respond multiple times to the
same message.

-Jan

P.S.: fup2p for futher discussion of multi- vs crossposting.

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>
begin  OESUX.txt.vbs

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installation vmware
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 07:39:43 -0500

Helge Fobbe wrote:

> trying to install vmware under suse 7.2 and have a problem:
>
> vmare ask for version.h and then it says that the version of it (2.4.3)
> doesn't match the version of installed kernel (2.4.4 -4GB).
>
> Who knows?

Looks like your kernel headers don't match your kernel.  Did you
install a precompiled kernel?
Make sure you have the proper kernel sources installed and in the
proper place (/usr/src/linux).

BTW, vmware has their own news server for vmware users:
news.vmware.com

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: [Q] serial ports
Date: 9 Jun 2001 15:41:12 GMT

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 23:54:43 -0600, Ken Mankoff staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I have a wacom tablet on /dev/ttyS0. This is plugged into the back of the
>computer, using one of my two external serial ports.
>
>I have a modem using /dev/ttyS1. This is an internal modem. wvdialconf
>configured it there. I am not opposed to flipping jumper settings on the
>modem if that is the solution to my problem
>
>I have a Palm m505 Serial Cradle (no USB support yet!) plugged into my
>second external serial port. But i'm getting errors when i try to hotsync
>with /dev/ttyS2/.
>
>How can I set it up so I can use three serial ports at once? Is this
>possible? Any help will be appreciated.

The serial ports that are attached to the motherboard are usually set to
be ttyS0 and ttyS1 (COM1, COM2.)  If you have an internal modem, it is a
good idea to set that internal modem to another port (COM4/ttyS3?) and
possibly a different IRQ if you have a free IRQ sitting around.  If you
don't have a free IRQ, you must make sure that the serial driver is
compiled with the SHARE_IRQ option turned on to be able to use more than
2 serial ports at once.  You might also be able to set the second
motherboard serial port to a different COM port from within the BIOS
Setup.

Lots of people use more than 2 serial devices at once.  It's just that
the initial setup can be a bit of a pain what with too few IRQs in the
x86 architecture.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best
http://www.brainbench.com     /   friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark
=============================/    to read.  ==Groucho Marx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Subject: Problem registering WP8 for Linux
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 15:51:03 GMT

I realize this isn't a Linux question per se, but I was hoping someone
here might know something about it.

I'm trying to register my copy of Word Perfect 8 for Linux. Going to
the appropriate place on Corel's web site, I fill in the form (all
fields, not just required), but when I press the "Submit" button,
nothing happens. I've tried this with several browsers (Java and
Javascript enabled), and all have the same result.

Any ideas what's going on?

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: hardware autodetection
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 07:46:30 +0000 (UTC)

"Paul E. Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You can end up on quite a web-hunt when the card manufacturers disk
> is a just-for-M$-Windows selection. I have a PCMCIA card that I had
> bought before my current laptop, which is an Ethernet/Modem combo
> card. Works fine under DOS and Windows but the disk hasn't got any
> Unix style drivers of any flavour.

First Cardbus cards are not supported by FreeBSD Stable. If it is a
Cardbus you must run Current or NetBSD. Second multi functions cards
are also not supported. However you can run just the modem or the
nic part by properly editing pccard.conf. Finally to discover what
is in the card you can run
pccardc dumpcis
Armed with this information, you can ask help in the freebsd-mobile mailing
list.

> As the company, SiliCom, are based in Israel and emails are not
> being answered - no phone number and I haven't found their Web-site
> despite searching, I can understand the desire for a probe programme
> that reports all hardware and current settings.

> Paul E. Bennett ....................<email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/>
> Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
> Tel: +44 (0)1235-814586 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.
> Going Forth Safely ..... EBA. www.electric-boat-association.org.uk..

Michel Talon

------------------------------

From: Ken Mankoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 10:45:19 -0600

On 9 Jun 2001, Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 23:54:43 -0600, Ken Mankoff staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
> >I have a wacom tablet on /dev/ttyS0. This is plugged into the back of the
> >computer, using one of my two external serial ports.
> >
> >I have a modem using /dev/ttyS1. This is an internal modem. wvdialconf
> >configured it there. I am not opposed to flipping jumper settings on the
> >modem if that is the solution to my problem
> >
> >I have a Palm m505 Serial Cradle (no USB support yet!) plugged into my
> >second external serial port. But i'm getting errors when i try to hotsync
> >with /dev/ttyS2/.
> >
> >How can I set it up so I can use three serial ports at once? Is this
> >possible? Any help will be appreciated.
>
> The serial ports that are attached to the motherboard are usually set to
> be ttyS0 and ttyS1 (COM1, COM2.)  If you have an internal modem, it is a
> good idea to set that internal modem to another port (COM4/ttyS3?) and
> possibly a different IRQ if you have a free IRQ sitting around.  If you
> don't have a free IRQ, you must make sure that the serial driver is
> compiled with the SHARE_IRQ option turned on to be able to use more than
> 2 serial ports at once.  You might also be able to set the second
> motherboard serial port to a different COM port from within the BIOS
> Setup.
>
> Lots of people use more than 2 serial devices at once.  It's just that
> the initial setup can be a bit of a pain what with too few IRQs in the
> x86 architecture.

Hi Matt,

I switched some jumpers on my modem. It is now using COM3 (according to
the modem) and ttyS2 according to Linux.

The Wacom is still ttyS0

But i get this:
% pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS1 -l
  Unable to bind to port /dev/ttyS1
  pi_bind: invalid argument

if i use ttyS0 or ttyS2 as the port, it asks me to "press the hotsync
button now..."

How do i find out what IRQs i have available, and what IRQs i'm currently
using?

-k.

--
Ken Mankoff
LASP://303.492.3264

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Betastar)
Subject: How to get bigger files?
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:44:54 GMT

I'm honestly sorry, because I'm sure this has been asked 1,000,000
times before... but I've done a Google-search and can't really find an
answer that makes sense to me.

I'm running RedHat 7.1 with kernel-2.4.2-2, and I need to have a
database file on my system that is larger than 2.0GB

I need to know how I can either ftp this file onto my system without
it stopping at 2.0GB, or else (for now) I can get a compressed
version, but I need to uncompress the whole thing.  (When I use zcat
it stops at 2.0GB)

I have no objections to splitting the file into many pieces if need
be, but I don't know how to do that through ftp or zcat or uncompress.

I'm really quite new to the whole Linux thing, so if someone can tell
me how to do this in simple words ;) I'd really appreciate it.

(Best case scenario is to tell me how to change my system
configuration to take care of it all once-and-for-all.... I've got
lots of space, so that's not a problem - 5 36GB hard-drives in a RAID
5)

Thanks very much!

Betastar

------------------------------

From: "Andrew E. Kinsey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: File associations in Linux
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 17:05:13 GMT

Greetings...

I am running RH 7.1. I have Acrobat reader 4 installed. Is there any way
to set file associations so that Acrobat4 opens automatically when
double-clicking on the .pdf file icon? Thanks in advance for any
assistance.

Andy

------------------------------

From: "Arctic Storm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The movie Swordfish and Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 13:12:59 -0400

I just saw the movie Swordfish, and the movie has a computer hacker from
Finland.  I missed the character's last name, but it starts with the letter
T.  I guess it was an inside joke regarding Linus Torvalds.

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: File associations in Linux
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 12:31:38 -0500

Andrew E. Kinsey wrote:

> Greetings...
>
> I am running RH 7.1. I have Acrobat reader 4 installed. Is there any way
> to set file associations so that Acrobat4 opens automatically when
> double-clicking on the .pdf file icon? Thanks in advance for any
> assistance.
>
> Andy

Presumably you are using konqueror as your file manager?

Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> File Associations

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 9 Jun 2001 17:32:01 GMT

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 10:45:19 -0600, Ken Mankoff staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>On 9 Jun 2001, Dances With Crows wrote:
>> The serial ports that are attached to the motherboard are usually set to
>> be ttyS0 and ttyS1 (COM1, COM2.)  If you have an internal modem, it is a
>> good idea to set that internal modem to another port (COM4/ttyS3?) and
>> possibly a different IRQ if you have a free IRQ sitting around.  If you
>> don't have a free IRQ, you must make sure that the serial driver is
>> compiled with the SHARE_IRQ option turned on to be able to use more than
>> 2 serial ports at once.  You might also be able to set the second
>> motherboard serial port to a different COM port from within the BIOS
>> Setup.
>
>I switched some jumpers on my modem. It is now using COM3 (according to
>the modem) and ttyS2 according to Linux.
>
>The Wacom is still ttyS0
>
>But i get this:
>% pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS1 -l
>  Unable to bind to port /dev/ttyS1
>  pi_bind: invalid argument
>
>if i use ttyS0 or ttyS2 as the port, it asks me to "press the hotsync
>button now..."
>
>How do i find out what IRQs i have available, and what IRQs i'm
>currently using?

OK, the fact that you can use ttyS0 and ttyS2 at the same time is a good
sign.  If ttyS1 is still inaccessible, something is funny.  ttyS1
usually uses IRQ 3 and I/O ports 2f8-2ff.  Make sure that nothing else
is using IRQ 3, that COM2 is enabled within the BIOS Setup, and that the
permissions on /dev/ttyS1 are reasonable.  Usually, ttyS1 is set to
root.uucp and chmodded 660, meaning normal users can't access ttyS1
directly.  I don't know whether pilot-xfer is SUID root by default or
what (I don't own a Palm....)

The commands for checking IRQs and I/O ports are "cat /proc/interrupts"
and "cat /proc/ioports".  This information can be misleading, though, as
it only reports usage for modules that are in use.  My modem is on IRQ
5, but that IRQ is reported as free except when I have a PPP connection
running.

Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 19:52:04 +0200
From: Jonas Diemer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to get bigger files?

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:44:54 GMT
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Betastar) wrote:

> I'm honestly sorry, because I'm sure this has been asked 1,000,000
> times before... but I've done a Google-search and can't really find an
> answer that makes sense to me.
>
> I'm running RedHat 7.1 with kernel-2.4.2-2, and I need to have a
> database file on my system that is larger than 2.0GB
>
> I need to know how I can either ftp this file onto my system without
> it stopping at 2.0GB, or else (for now) I can get a compressed
> version, but I need to uncompress the whole thing.  (When I use zcat
> it stops at 2.0GB)
>
> I have no objections to splitting the file into many pieces if need
> be, but I don't know how to do that through ftp or zcat or uncompress.
>
> I'm really quite new to the whole Linux thing, so if someone can tell
> me how to do this in simple words ;) I'd really appreciate it.
>
> (Best case scenario is to tell me how to change my system
> configuration to take care of it all once-and-for-all.... I've got
> lots of space, so that's not a problem - 5 36GB hard-drives in a RAID
> 5)
>

> Thanks very much!
>
> Betastar

well, as far as i am concerened, this is a limitation in the ext2
filesystem, which can't handle files that are larger than 2 GB. I recommend
changing your filesystem to reiserfs. the easiest way to do so is to create
a new partition. see www.namesys.com for further reference.

--
Jonas Diemer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: threads
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 12:01:14 -0600

"Robert Schweikert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Could someone point me to documentation abouth threads that is
> relatively recent. All I can find with google is stuff that's a couple
> of years old.

POSIX .1c is going on ten years old. I don't much has changed, at least in
the pthreads API. Even the ORA book is from '96.

try
http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jcook/Tools/pthreads/pthreads.html