From: Rajesh Radhakrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Problems configuring Network connection Mandrake-8.0
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:17:42 -0400

Hi,

I tried the 3c5x9 setup program and got the foll reply for the following

./3c5x9 -p 220 -F 10baseT -Q 7

3c5x9setup.c:v1.00 6/19/2000 Donald Becker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
  No interrupt sources are pending.
  A potential 3c5*9 has been found, but it appears to still be active.
  Only limited information is available without disturbing network
operation.
   Either shutdown the network, or use the '-f' flag to see all
registers.
     Available Tx room 3068 bytes, Tx/Rx Status 0080 / 0000.
       An interrupt occured only 170 ticks ago!
=====

Can't figure out what I am supposed to do next. I still get the string
of error messages after running 'dhcpd -h <name> eth0'

eth0: infinte loop from interrupt, status 2001

FYI, the card was working fine with Redhat-7.0. Only with Mandrake-8.0
did I start having problems.

Any suggestions?

Rajesh

------------------------------

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: depmod required?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:29:52 GMT

That's interesting! However, we don't have a "boot" under /etc/rc.d. Are you
using RedHat or something else? I use RedHat 6.0 and have upgraded the
kernel from 2.2.5-15 to 2.2.14. Under Redhat what would the equivalent of
"/etc/rc.d/boot" be?

Thanks,
Tom

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: Using CD-RW for backups
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:33:52 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:58:25 +0200, "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at
absa.co.za> wrote:

>I've been using CDRW for automated backups for a while now. It's very
>reliable, provided you test the first few disks that are created. I'd say if
>the first one works, and you can restore from it, the following ones will
>work. Except for CDRW failure, of course. It's a good idea to try and mount
>CD's once you backed up to them, and see if you can read the files (pick a
>few).

That's exactly the sort of experience & feedback I was looking for.

I think I will incorporate the mount & read-back test in my backup
script.

Thank you!

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Rignold)
Subject: COMMERCIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:- The World's Cheapest Sun Cobalt RaQ4 Servers are
here in Australia - au$99 / US$49 / GBP 35 - per month
Date: 14 Jun 2001 08:48:40 -0700

Hi,

Just a quick announcement. Please don't be mad at me for posting to
your group, you guys are hard to find by any other means, and I know
what we are doing is commercial, but it's a deal that's pretty
innovative and I think it benefits the developer community and beyond.
But hey, if I'm wrong, tell me - you've got my email address, phone
number and name, so I'm no going anywhere fast + I'm keen for
feedback, good bad or otherwise.  We're a bunch of developers
ourselves and we're keen to make dedicated hosting as cheap as a
shared hosting and Sun Cobalt in Australia is keen to help us do that.
 So do we have a deal for you ! BTW. If that gets us flames so be it.

Well we've just launched our Dedicated Server company here in
Australia and the reaction has been amazing.  To the best of our
knowledge we are offering the world's lowest priced RaQ4 dedicated
servers at just au$99 / US$49 / 35 UK pounds. This is thanks to our
huge purchasing volumes from Aussie supporters and our weak dollar
against most major world currencies.

For more details of our servers and a full explanation of the offers
click here http://www.dedicatedservers.com.au/thedeal.shtml

We have a number of options, including outright purchase of the server
at well below market price, which also includes one year's
co-location.  Our servers are located in carrier class data centers
here in Australia, and we have 24.7.365  manned technical support. Our
datacenters are on major peering points for both Asia, UK and the US.

We have partnered with Red Hat to offer support, and the servers have
been installed with Kurant's award winning Ecommerce solution
StoreSense at no charge. A fully enabled 30 day trial of the amazing
urchin statistics software is also included in the deal, and if you
choose to purchase the license after the trial period you will receive
very special pricing. The RaQ4 also comes factory installed with
Chilisoft to allow Active Server Page - ASP equivalency.

Upcoming software partner bundles including Cold Fusion and Real Media
servers are only days away - so if you're looking for that
functionality join our mailing list and we'll notify you when they are
available.

Our customers come from all over the world and if you need an IP
address to check routing and timing to your customer base we're happy
to supply this to you.  Just send a request, including details of your
organisation to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Full details of our servers, including datasheets and manual PDF's for
download,  and working online demos of all the servers and software
are on our site at http://www.dedicatedservers.com.au

Thanks for your time and I welcome any inquiries you may have.  There
in an online chat system on the site, or, we can be contacted directly
at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We are here to serve!

Kind regards,

Tim Rignold
Dedicated Servers Australia

Dedicated Servers is a 100% Australian Owned private business, we have
no affiliation with any companies anywhere in the world bearing
similar names.

Dedicated Servers Australia - BRISBANE   Telephone + 61 7 3831 9111
80 Berry Street                          Facsimile + 61 7 3839 5442
Spring Hill Queensland
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
AUSTRALIA 4000
http://www.dedicatedservers.com.au

A WEBHOST COMPANY - PROUDLY 100% AUSTRALIAN OWNED

------------------------------

From: "joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what is the format of a mp3 cd?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:46:40 -0400

Check the documentation of the players.

They have restrictions on the number of files in a directory and the nesting
level of the subdirectories. Stay within these limits and you should be
fine.

Why not burn a few test cases, and see what happens ?

For the record, I have been using cd's with mp3's on them for since last
year, and have had only one problem:
they see only the first session in a multi session disc.

later.
joseph

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:58:54 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tom Edelbrok wrote:

> That's interesting! However, we don't have a "boot" under /etc/rc.d. Are you
> using RedHat or something else? I use RedHat 6.0 and have upgraded the
> kernel from 2.2.5-15 to 2.2.14. Under Redhat what would the equivalent of
> "/etc/rc.d/boot" be?

> > It can't be a mistake to run it. However, it's run from /etc/rc.d/boot
> > case you reboot, so you really don't need to do it...
> >
> > Michael Heiming

Hello,

please don't top post, it makes following of the conversation kind of
hard...:-(

I use SuSE 7.0/7.1, this script is the first script executed from init
during system startup. I don't know how it's called with RH, checking
the
RH docs or even faster, grep through /etc should show it.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?iso-8859-1?q?David=20Cox?=)
Subject: MPEG I/II video compressor for Linux?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:59:25 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I'm experimenting with the 3D animation capabilities of POVRay 3.  Does
anybody know of any software I could use on my Mandrake 7.1 or Redhat
6.1 distros to turn a sequence of several hundred .tga files (for
example) into a .mpg file?

Ciao,

Dave

=====

Posted from web9604.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.129.183]

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Agenda PDA
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:54:06 +0200

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Mads Villadsen wrote:

>  Giorgio> 3) I Wrote to the customer service but i can't get an
>  Giorgio> answer...
>
> Have you tried sending an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] - that is
> their german department, and they answered me within 3 days (also it
> is cheaper to order it from germany if you live in Europe).

they did indeed answer the same day - using M$ outlook.
great linux shop,
                       Gerald

------------------------------

From: Marc Ulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: is WINE super slow?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:08:04 -0400

That's the big issue -- I get lots of errors on the xterm window. Here's a
small portion of them. (BTW, the 32MB is the video card. the system has 128MB.)

err:event:EVENT_ProcessEvent Got event ConfigureNotify for unknown Window
0223d45b
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg 5403 wp=000000eb lp=00000000
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg 5404 wp=0000235a lp=00000000
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg 5403 wp=00002383 lp=00000000
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg 5404 wp=0000235a lp=00000000
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg 5403 wp=0000235a lp=00000000
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg 5404 wp=0000235a lp=00000000
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg 5403 wp=0000235a lp=00000000
err:toolbar:ToolbarWindowProc unknown msg 5404 wp=00002384 lp=00000000
err:trackbar:TRACKBAR_WindowProc unknown msg 5409 wp=00000001 lp=40eff994
err:trackbar:TRACKBAR_WindowProc unknown msg 5403 wp=000000eb lp=00000000
err:trackbar:TRACKBAR_WindowProc unknown msg 5404 wp=0000238a lp=00000000
err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [238a] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!
err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [238a] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!
err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [238a] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!
err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [238a] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!

These most often happen on the dialogs. They most often occur when the mouse
moves over a button or a trackbar or something like that. I bet this is the
problem -- but how do I fix it?

Thanks,
Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cliff)
Subject: Excel on an Intranet
Date: 14 Jun 2001 09:01:42 -0700

I am trying to setup an Excel spreadsheet on a Linux box running
Apache, to be able to be updated by multilple people and written back
to the server so that it will be completely readable and writeable by
the select group of people.

Is this possible? I have had a similar spreadsheet set up but on an NT
server. Can anyone help me out or tell me it is impossible and I will
look at something else.

Thanks
Cliff Jefferson
I will be checking back but if you could email me I would appreciate
it.

From: "joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "GDM Mysteriously Murdered"?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:58:34 -0400

Well, once you schedule a cron job ( similar to the At command under NT but
far better ) ,  the output of the program or what would have been written to
the screen had you run it from a terminal, is mailed to you using the
system's mail spooler.

MDK 7.2 came with 3.3.6 and 4.0.1

Check the X server that you are using. I think the A50 and all are supported
in the 4.0.1
You could of course download the 20 MB tarball for X server and install it
according to the included docs.
I've done that on more than one ocassion, and it seems to go fine.

later.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help!!:MAC ADDRESS
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:04:17 GMT

Could be you're not using the correct driver or settings?

news:9gaeba$bt5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...