From: mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ip masquerading help please
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 17:39:07 -0700

Tom Edelbrok wrote:

> You are using ipchains? Can you post your firewall script? If you just
> want basic NAT you can do it in about 4 lines of code included in your
> firewall. Send more info.
>
> Also, what are the errors you are getting? (give a message?).
>
> Finally, turn ip forwarding on in the linux box or you will get nowhere,
> even with an ipchains firewall script.
>
> Tom
>
> "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:riPW6.11862$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have two machines one running redhat linux 7.1 and the second one is
>> running windows 98. I followed the ip masqerading howto to the letter and
>> still no luck. i can ping the from either machine to the other fine, but
>> the problem is i get alot of modules errors at boot time. all of them are
>> coming from the ip masquerading modules. I didn't compile the kernel,
>> just used what is provided by redhat. any one seen these problems ? what
>> do i have to do to get this to work?
>>
>> thanx alot
>> mark

this is my script:

#!/bin/sh
#
# rc.firewall - v0.50
#
#               Initial SIMPLE IP Masquerade test for 2.4.x kernels
#               using IPTABLES
#
# Load all required IP MASQ modules
#
#   NOTE:  Only load the IP MASQ modules you need.  All current IP MASQ
#          modules are shown below but are commented out from loading.

echo -e "\n\nIPMASQ *TEST* rc.firewall ruleset - v0.50\n"

# The location of the 'iptables' program
#
#   If your Linux distribution came with a copy of iptables, most
#   likely it is located in /sbin.  If you manually compiled
#   iptables, the default location is in /usr/local/sbin
#
# ** Please use the "whereis iptables" command to figure out
# ** where your copy is and change the path below to reflect
# ** your setup
#
IPTABLES=/sbin/iptables
#IPTABLES=/usr/local/sbin/iptables

#======================================================================
#== No editing beyond this line is required for initial MASQ testing ==

# Need to verify that all modules have all required dependencies
#
echo "  - Verifying that all kernel modules are ok"
/sbin/depmod -a

# With the new IPTABLES code, the core MASQ functionality is now either
# modular or compiled into the kernel.  This HOWTO compiles ALL IPTABLES
# options as modules.  If your kernel is compiled correctly, there is
# NO need to manually load the kernel modules.
#
#  NOTE: The following items are listed ONLY for informational reasons.
#        There is no reason to manual load these modules unless your
#        kernel is either mis-configured or you intentionally disabled
#        the kernel module autoloader.
#

# Upon the commands of starting up IP Masq on the server, the
# following kernel modules will be automatically loaded:
# ===============================================================

#Load the main body of the IPTABLES module - "iptable"
#  - Loaded automatically when the "iptables" command is invoked

#Load the IPTABLES filtering module - "iptable_filter"
#  - Loaded automatically when filter policies are activated

#Load the geneal IPTABLES NAT code - "iptable_nat"
#  - Loaded automatically when MASQ functionality is turned on

#Load the SNAT IPTABLES "Masq" code - "ipt_MASQUERADE"
#  - Loaded automatically when MASQ functionality is turned on

#Load the stateful connection tracking framework - "ip_conntrack"
#
# This module in itself does nothing without other specific
# conntrack modules being loaded as well
#
#  - Loaded automatically when MASQ functionality is enabled
#    to properly MASQ protocols such as IRC, FTP, etc.

#Loads the OUTGOING FTP NAT functionality into the core IPTABLES code
#
# Disabled by default -- remove the "#" on the next line to activate
#/sbin/insmod ip_nat_ftp

#Load the INCOMING FTP tracking mechanism for the connection tracking
#code
#
# Disabled by default -- remove the "#" on the next line to activate
/sbin/insmod ip_conntrack_ftp

#CRITICAL:  Enable IP forwarding since it is disabled by default since
#
#           Redhat Users:  you may try changing the options in
#                          /etc/sysconfig/network from:
#
#                       FORWARD_IPV4=false
#                       FORWARD_IPV4=true
#
echo "  - Enabling packet forwarding in the kernel"

# Dynamic IP users:
#
#   If you get your IP address dynamically from SLIP, PPP, or DHCP,
#   enable this following option.  This enables dynamic-address hacking
#   which makes the life with Diald and similar programs much easier.
#
echo "  - Enabling dynamic addressing measures"
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

# Enable simple IP forwarding and Masquerading
#
#  NOTE:  In IPTABLES speak, IP Masquerading is a form of SourceNAT or SNAT.
#
#  NOTE #2:  The following is an example for an internal LAN address in the
#            192.168.0.x network with a 255.255.255.0 or a "24" bit subnet
mask
#            connecting to the Internet on external interface "eth0".  This
#            example will MASQ internal traffic out to the Internet not not
#            allow non-initiated traffic into your internal network.
#
#  NOTE #3:  You must change "eth0" to say "ppp0" if you are a modem user.
#
#         ** Please change the above network numbers, subnet mask, and your
#         *** Internet connection interface name to match your setup
#
echo "  - Setting the default FORWARD policy to 'DROP'"
echo "  - Enabling SNAT (IPMASQ) functionality on eth0"
$IPTABLES -P FORWARD DROP
$IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

echo -e "\nDone.\n"

and the error message i get is:

- Verifying that all kernel modules are ok
Using /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_ftp.o
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_ftp.o:
unresolved sy
mbol ip_conntrack_expect_related_Ree85aab5
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_ftp.o:
unresolved sy
mbol ip_conntrack_helper_unregister_R6915dfa8
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_ftp.o:
unresolved sy
mbol ip_conntrack_helper_register_Rb99a89c0
  - Enabling packet forwarding in the kernel
  - Enabling dynamic addressing measures
  - Setting the default FORWARD policy to 'DROP'
  - Enabling SNAT (IPMASQ) functionality on eth0
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: init_module:
Device
or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
inva
lid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
/lib/modules/
2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
ip_tables fai
led
iptables v1.2.1a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who?
(do yo
u need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: init_module:
Device
or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
inva
lid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
/lib/modules/
2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
ip_tables fai
led
iptables v1.2.1a: can't initialize iptables table `nat': iptables who? (do
you n
eed to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

thanx
mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (florian schmidt)
Subject: Re: Splitting large OGG or WAV files
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:56:21 GMT

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:34:25 -0700, quasimoto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I've got an audio file in WAV format that is 1.1 GB in size--too big for a
>CD.  The original file was in OGG format (22 MB) which I needed to convert
>to WAV in order to distribute to friends who use Windows exclusively.
>Initially, the converted file is <only> 547 MB but I can't burn it to CD
>using cdrecord, because cdrecord will only accept stereo WAV and the file
>is mono.  When I use sox to create a stereo (2-channel) WAV the file
>balloons to 1.1 GB.
>
>Is there a way to split an OGG or a WAV file so that it can be burned to
>two CDs?  If not, is there any other way around this problem?  (I don't
>have a DVD.)

sure there is splitting programs. i don't know any title, but with the
aid of search engines it shouldn't be no prob to find one..

but another thing: why don't u just burn a data-cd. as i can see it, u
are trying to burn the track as an audio-cd. and the audio cd format
is 44.100khz, sterero, 16 bits. but nobody  keeps u from just burning
this file as ordinary data. then it can't be played in a cd player,
but your frinds with their computers can play it..

p.s. the programs to split and join are called ... yup

"split" and "join"

type in "man split"nd u will be happier..

--
Florian Schmidt
mista.tapasATgmx.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: Where can i find a linux newsgroup with the topic open source?
Date: 17 Jun 2001 00:58:47 GMT

sliver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I want to join a newsgroup that discuss the advantages and dissadvantages of
>open source an linux.
>
>Does anyone know such a newsgroup?

I'd say comp.os.linux.advocacy would be a good start.

Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Oh baby you're the only thing in this whole world / That's pure and
 good and bright / And wherever you are and wherever you go / There's
 always gonna be some light" - Meat Loaf, "Bat Out Of Hell"

------------------------------

From: Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP! I just deleted /bin!
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:34:21 -0500

Joel wrote:

> Is there any possible way to undelete files?  I just accidentaly
> deleted my
> /bin directory.  I had a directory call /bintmp, so I type "rm -R
> /bin
> [TAB]" the enter.  I expected it to autocomplete to "rm -R /bintmp"
> [but
> since there is a /bin it didn't.  What can I do?  I still have the
> bash prompt up, so is there any possible smidgen of a a way to
> undelete this
> directory?  I have spent a lot of time lately building my own
> distribution, and I will probably have to start all over if I can't
> recover that dir. Thanks in advance.

I understand that there *may* be a way using mc.  Do a google search
for "mc undelete"

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:34:32 -0500

Joel wrote:

> Is there any possible way to undelete files?  I just accidentaly deleted
> my
> /bin directory.  I had a directory call /bintmp, so I type "rm -R /bin
> [TAB]" the enter.  I expected it to autocomplete to "rm -R /bintmp"  but
> since there is a /bin it didn't.  What can I do?  I still have the bash
> prompt up, so is there any possible smidgen of a a way to undelete this
> directory?  I have spent a lot of time lately building my own
> distribution, and I will probably have to start all over if I can't
> recover that dir. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps this will be an object lesson.  Never put a / after a rm command.

------------------------------

From: "Helge Hoel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DHCPD trigging a script.. Is it possible?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:45:01 +0200

Is it possible to get DHCPD to trigger a script every time it assigns an
IP to one of the networks clients? And then also send the IP it assigned
as a parameter to my script? I'm planning to do this: In my linux
gateway (running dhcpd), I would have the whole IP pool rejected by
iptables, so if anyone just hijacks an IP, they wont have internet
access. But if dhcpd gives away an IP, a script should be triggered, and
the script should remove that IP from the packet filter. Is this possible
without changing the source code?

--
Best regards
Helge Øyvind Hoel

------------------------------

From: "Jeff D. Hamann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: phonesync for linux
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:01:51 -0700

ahhhhh. i should have guessed. thanks.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: optimizing for pentium, worth the bother?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:15:45 -0500

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> hello!
>
>> i have just been using slackware7.1 on a p3 for quite a while. now i
>> want to try something else, and am considering if pentiumoptimizing is
>> worth the bother. problem is though that i am not quite sure what
>
> No. It is not. In the first place your probably do not have a pentium!
>
>> p-optimizing means:)
>
> Be sure you know what a pentium is. You probably have an i686, not an
> i586.
>
>> what does mandrake mean by being p-optimized? that they use pgcc instead
>
> "Please buy me. You are a sucker for technobabble."
>
>> of gcc? afaik gcc can not even p-optimize, right?
>
> "even"? What do you mean!
>
>> any thoughts and suggestions are welcomed. and links to benchmarks if
>
> Please go away.
>
> Peter

Don't let such posts get to you.  Many people listen to their ignorant
friends' nonsense, partially internalize that crap and then ask such
questions.  They really don't know any better and where is a better place
to resolve their questions than here?

To the OP, it is a complete waste of your time unless you have a lot of it
to "pentiumize" your installation.  On reasonably modern machines the
difference in execution time between code optimized for pentium and that
optimized for i386 is not worth bothering with.  And figuring out how to
get the -march=pentium option into CCFLAGS on every utility and application
you have is more of an educational experience than a productive experience.

If you build a new kernel it is quite trivial to optimize it for your CPU
architecture, but rebuilding userland is a total waste of time.

------------------------------

From: "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Writing an OS from scratch
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:43:44 -0500

I have that book and it starts with Minix OS. It has all development tools.
It does teach the basic. I would like more detail.
David

news:kmrV6.2896$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Date: 17 Jun 2001 02:55:15 GMT

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:34:32 -0500 Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Perhaps this will be an object lesson.  Never put a / after a rm command.

I thought it was an object lesson to back up regularly.

(Yes, I did back up last night.  Why do you ask?)
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: images to video
Date: 17 Jun 2001 02:57:43 GMT

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:35:02 -0400, pahidla staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>Is there a linux application that would convert a series of images into
>a mpeg (or some other format) clip? I've tried using mpeg_encode but
>dicided that figuring out how to set up the param file is just not
>worth it. Perhaps someone could send me a simple sample param file.

"convert", part of the ImageMagick suite, can convert a series of images
into an MPEG file.  However, it requires a helper application called
"mpeg2encode" and the main website where you can get mpeg2encode was
down as of last night(!)

mpeg_encode's .param file format is reasonably complex, but it's
well-explained in the man page.  Anyway, here's a sample .param file
that I have used with minor modifications for a number of MPEGs.  The
mpeg_encode source distribution should've come with a whole bunch of
.param files that show various options and their effects.

# This is a reasonable pattern
PATTERN         IBBPBBPBBPBBPBB
OUTPUT          test.mpg
# This should match the "pattern" line.
GOP_SIZE        16
SLICES_PER_FRAME        1
# You can also use "YUV" or "JPEG" here
BASE_FILE_FORMAT        PPM
# enter the shell command that can convert the source image to the
# designated base file format here
INPUT_CONVERT   *
INPUT_DIR       .

INPUT
`for i in clippy*.ppm ; do echo $i ; done`
END_INPUT

# quality parameters
IQSCALE         8
PQSCALE         10
BQSCALE         25

# motion vector search parameters
PIXEL           FULL
RANGE           10
PSEARCH_ALG     LOGARITHMIC
BSEARCH_ALG     CROSS2
REFERENCE_FRAME DECODED

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best
http://www.brainbench.com     /   friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark