Hi,

On 15/03/18 11:27, Martin Lucina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday, 15.03.2018 at 09:23, Andre Przywara wrote:
>> Yeah, I think I need to remove the molly guards in ATF when setting up
>> the PMIC. The code checks whether the PMIC registers it touches contain
>> certain values, to make sure it is in a sensible state.
>> Now with Linux driving the PMIC itself and new boards using more rails,
>> a reboot (which does not reset the PMIC!) lets ATF find the PMIC in some
>> "unknown" state. Power-cycling fixes this, as you observed.
>>
>> Can you please file an issue in my ATF github, so that I don't forget to
>> fix it [1]?
>
> Done.

Thanks, got it.

>>>     Failed (-5)
>>>     Warning: HDMI PHY init timeout!
>>>     Warning: HDMI PHY init timeout!
>>
>> This ....
>>
>>>     In:    serial
>>>     Out:   serial
>>>     Err:   serial
>>>     Net:   No ethernet found.
>>
>> and this are results of the PMIC not being setup properly.
>>
>>>     starting USB...
>>>     No controllers found
>>>     Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
>>>
>>> If I try to manually "modprobe dwmac-sun8i" once booted then the module
>>> loads but nothing appears in the kernel log and I get no network interface,
>>> so presumably it can't see the device.
>>
>> That should be independent, though.
>>

>>> This is with the DTB from 4.16-rc5.
>>
>> Are you sure that the .dtb is actually correct for the board? Maybe
>> there is some additional or different power supply for the PHY?
>
> No idea.
>
> You did mention that only the kernel DTBs see the Ethernet device,
> so with U-boot 2018.83 I the "No ethernet found" is expected?

Not really, the U-Boot .dtbs should always work with U-Boot's Ethernet
driver. What doesn't work at the moment is to reuse U-Boot's .dtb for
the kernel - which is fixed by my series you mention below.

> I'll try with
> the latest DTB updates you sent to the list earlier to see if that changes
> anything on the Ethernet front.

Yeah, you can try, but I don't expect much changes here, as U-Boot's
.dtb and the U-Boot driver should always work together (hence the order
of the patches in my series).

Can you do me a favour and check the schematics to see how the PHY is
powered?

Cheers,
Andre.