On Thu, 2026-10-08 at 13:16 +0200, Nam Cao wrote:
> Gabriele Monaco <[email protected]> writes:
> > Mmh, I'm not too familiar with them, but they wouldn't be drop-in
> > replacements as far as I understand. I'd need to use C11 atomic types
> > and that would diverge further from the kernel implementation.
> 
> I am thinking we should migrate to BPF entirely. Keeping both in-kernel
> and BPF will be a bit painful.

Yeah that's a valid point, though I'm considering it more like a longer term
goal. I'd rather avoid rushing the migration until we're sure BPF is perfectly
capable to handle absolutely everything and we can cover every usecase.

There's a common belief considering BPF a prototyping playground, where "real"
things should eventually end up in the kernel.
Now, I don't agree with it (look at the many sched_ext policies used in
production), but I'd want to assess if dropping kernel support could drive users
away (e.g. industry/automotive which keeps popping out) and understand the
various not purely technical reasons.

Gabriele


Reply via email to