On Thursday 19 July 2001 02:42, Auyeung at Technet Systems wrote:
> Terence,
>
> Things have changed quite a bit in Hong Kong. Since the
> introduction of the new legislation against software piracy,
> one does not find many shops selling pirated software, esp.
> in Golden Arcade, a place which every Customs officer is
> watching.

Thanks for your reply, this is most interesting to me.

Yes, they used to watch pretty carefully when I last lived in Sek Kong,
(about ten years ago), but the raids were usually well advertised, and little
was done! I remember being told by friends (and the guys in the Arcade) not
to visit on certain days......

Before I left there was a move to keeping all the production kit and presses
away from there, and it was becoming a place where you ordered from your
trusted supplier, and the goods were then posted to you. I assume that this
"de-centralisation" has continued.

I must say (and if this sounds like a defence of piracy it's not meant to, of
course) that an advantage to me was trying all the different programmes for
comparison purposes. After all, most people only need one package for word
processing, for example, but by trying several at very low cost, one can pick
the best one for the purpose. I bought a number of official programmes on the
back of these trials, then and subsequently (before I discovered Linux!).

Another advantage was the very cheap (compared to UK) computer books.

Finally, I used to get quite a kick just from being in a "total computer
environment", hardware, software, books, technicians, gurus, all buzzing
around in an amazing "can do" atmosphere, that I've found nowhere else.

Yes, I miss the old Arcade and your e-mail brought it all back to me....

Terence