My 2c...

Buy your own domain, pay for commercial email hosting with a provider
you feel you can trust.

Do not purchase the domain through the ISP who hosts the email, so when
you decide you don't like the ISP you can go elsewhere and easily take
your address(es) with you.

Agree totally with what Volker said: "declaring their personal worth as
$0.00 with gmail post vodafail."

Personally I use Rackspace, in the USA, and I use no free email accounts
for email I care about.  Not cheap, but excellent service etc.

Cheers, Chris H.