2008/12/31 Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@au-kbc.org>:
> this is a joke. If I modify or enhance QT - then they can compel me to
> contribute such modifications to the community. But how can they compel me to
> release software written using QT? and further compel me to release it under
> the GPL only??

They don't compel you to use QT. They want _you_ to give the same
respect you got from them to your users. If you don't like GPL don't
use it. It is same for every GPLed software including the linux
kernel. So how QT is different here?

> "The Open Source Edition is freely available for the development of Open
> Source software governed by the GNU General Public License versions 2 and 3
> ("GPL")."
>
> apparently this means that QT itself is not released under the GPL - the open
> source edition is released to 'develop open source software governed by the
> GPL ...'

That is the property of a copyleft license. There is nothing new Nokia
has done here.

> So I cannot use that to develop software I release under, say, BSD license!.
> So what license is QT released under?

It is because GPL requires all derivative works to use the same
license. Nothing new Nokia invented.

-Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍