2008/12/31 Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@au-kbc.org>:
> as far as I know, QT is some sort of toolkit which is used to build
> applications (I may be wrong). The question is: when I build an application
> using QT, am I modifying QT? Am I creating a derivative work of QT? If so, I
> have to release the code under GPL. If not why should I release it under GPL?
> Next some one will say that all code created using GNU C compiler has to be
> released under GPL. Or if I use the linux develop software I have to release

Would your application work without QT? You need QT+your code to make
your application work. You don't need GNU C compiler for your built
code to work, you will need GNU C library (glibc). But glibc is under
LGPL. If glibc were under GPL, what you say will be correct. I think
the confusion is because we are not used to many GPLed libraries and
assume libraries can't be GPL.

>> > "The Open Source Edition is freely available for the development of Open
> Nokia? how did nokia come into the picture?

well you found it yourself. Nokia bought Trolltech and now own QT.

> so any application developed using QT is a derivative work? And again, where
> does Nokia come in?

Any application that will need QT to run (compile time or runtime) is
a derivative work. Any program that uses a library is a derivative
work and your ability to use the library is based onthe license of the
library.

Well, there is still contention whether dynamic linking can be a
derivative work.

- Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍