On Thursday 01 Jan 2009 2:00:14 am Praveen A wrote:
> 2008/12/31 Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@au-kbc.org>:
> > as far as I know, QT is some sort of toolkit which is used to build
> > applications (I may be wrong). The question is: when I build an
> > application using QT, am I modifying QT? Am I creating a derivative work
> > of QT? If so, I have to release the code under GPL. If not why should I
> > release it under GPL? Next some one will say that all code created using
> > GNU C compiler has to be released under GPL. Or if I use the linux
> > develop software I have to release
>
> Would your application work without QT? You need QT+your code to make
> your application work. You don't need GNU C compiler for your built
> code to work, you will need GNU C library (glibc). But glibc is under
> LGPL. If glibc were under GPL, what you say will be correct. I think
> the confusion is because we are not used to many GPLed libraries and
> assume libraries can't be GPL.

anyway, one good thing is that I have now learned the difference between GPL
and LGPL (I was under the impression that LGPL meant Lesser GPL - something
that is not so strict as GPL). I was vaguely contemplating switching from
wxPython to pyQT - now I realise how dangerous that is. Lesson: before using
a library, make sure it is not under GPL.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves