> I am well-aware of Olivier’s work in this area, as are many in the FreeBSD
> community.

You’ve failed to disprove anything I've said, even the part about tools.

> You’re still assigning fault to pfSense

Not at all. But it would be nice if any of this pleasant banter becomes useful
by pushing someone to actually try this type of testing, to find out why it
happens. And if not, oh well...

By the way, does the C2758  hardware sold by pfSense include pps performance
information? Has anyone with this hardware tested it? (speaking to others who
might be reading this)

You suggest it can operate at near 'wirespeed', or at least that the OP will be
very happy with a C2758 , but you’ve not proven it.