On Mar 6, 2018, at 12:39 PM, Walter Parker <walt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 6:38 PM, Curtis Maurand <cmaur...@xyonet.com> wrote:
>
>> ZFS is a memory hog.   you need 1 GB of RAM for each TB of disk.
>

> Curtis, can you provide some more details? I have been testing this for the
> last couple of weeks and ZFS doesn't require 1G for each TB to function
> (which is the standard meaning of need).
> From my direct testing and experience 1G per TB is a rule of thumb for
> suggested memory sizing on general purpose servers. Do you have specific
> information that violating this rule of thumb will cause functional issues?
>
> To be more blunt, was this a case of drive by nerd sniping or do you know
> something that will cause my specific use case to fail at some point in the
> future?

The "1G for each TB" sounds like the rule of thumb for when you plan to enable
deduplication on a dataset.  ZFS deduplication can be a disastrous memory hog
(or else completely ruin your performance if you don't have sufficient ARC
memory/resources), which is why many people do not enable it unless they've
made a serious conscious decision to do so.

I ran ZFS on a 1--2 GB RAM FreeBSD/i386 system for years and it was stable.  I
have to tune KVM and restrict ARC RAM consumption, but once I did that I had no
problems.  It's my experience that ZFS is more stable and tested on
FreeBSD/amd64.

Cheers,

Paul.