On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:04 PM, Walter Parker <walt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> without ECC. If there is a time bomb, then it exists for all file systems
> running on computers without ECC. As this one of multiple backups for the
> system, the risks are acceptable.
>
> If you have an actual failure method that makes ZFS worse, I'd love to see
> the details. Then I could publish a paper and be "Internet famous.

Yes, this is true. However, other file systems do not offer *any* hint of
telling you when your data is corrupt on the platter like ZFS will. So if
you know you don't have ECC protection, then you should not expect your
data to be protected end to end. If you have ECC and a "regular" file
system, the same is true. You just never know.