On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:36 AM, Peder Rovelstad <provels...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> OH, and w/o ECC memory, it's a time bomb.
>
> That is an urban legend. One of original developers of ZFS was interviewed
and asked about the "Scrub of Death", he said that ZFS doesn't fail in that
way. ZFS is no worse than any other file system when running on a system
without ECC. If there is a time bomb, then it exists for all file systems
running on computers without ECC. As this one of multiple backups for the
system, the risks are acceptable.

If you have an actual failure method that makes ZFS worse, I'd love to see
the details. Then I could publish a paper and be "Internet famous."

Walter

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis