On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Peder Rovelstad <provels...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> > That is an urban legend. One of original developers of ZFS was
> > interviewed
>
> OK, then.  Not my data.  Best of luck.
>
> I've had other ZFS servers without ECC that have run successfully for
several years. I know the risks and issues. While, yes, servers should run
with ECC, the idea that that that ZFS requires ECC appears to a scare story
to get people to buy ECC hardware. From my research over the last 10 years,
I would say that 98% of the people sharing this information are passing on
a scary story that someone else told them. This is a like the urban legends
that we used to tell around the camp fire. Note, urban legends still get
told and believed. You heard the one about flashing headlights, some people
still tell and believe that story today.

The closest I've seen to a reason for why it matters to ZFS is that it is
one of the few file systems that can actually tell you when your data is
corrupt before as well as after the fact. It solves many data issues and
people seem to have taken that and require that the rest of the system be
as robust as ZFS. When asked to present actual/real data as to why someone
should use UFS instead of ZFS on a non-ECC system, I notice that the
conversation changes from file systems to don't store data on systems that
don't use ECC. Can anyone show why my solution should switch file systems
(given that I'm keeping my existing hardware) without changing the subject?
I've read many of the scare stories from FreeNAS and they all seem to end
up as a call to authority or a "fine, risk your data" without actually
answering the question.

Does any make a standalone pfSense compatible router that is low power and
not expensive [<$300] with enough ECC [or any ECC] memory?

What would you do on a home budget to get multiple local backups of a
multi-TB file server if you didn't have deep corporate pockets?

I have the Netgate router, it is a real nice box. I don't see why using ZFS
on it in addition to the other systems I have should be an issue, but there
seem to be lots of cooks in the kitchen giving advice without sampling the
product or explaining how they know there is a problem.

Walter

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis