Github user JJoe2 commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/log4net/pull/25

    Thanks.

    I agree that I should have done a better job of keeping these changes
separate but when I did the initial work I was very much a git novice.
    I’ll bite the bullet and separate these changes into two branches with a
rebase on the latest trunk.

    I take your point about the binary serialization format.  For now I’ll
roll back the change in the serialization / deserialization methods.  Users of
RemotingAppender will therefore still be subject to ambiguous timestamps but
it’s no longer a breaking change.

    We could also consider implementing serialization as follows (perhaps
enabled by a configuration setting if preserving backwards compatibility is
important):

    info.AddValue("TimeStamp", m_data.TimeStampUtc);
// Serialize
    m_data.TimeStampUtc = info.GetDateTime("TimeStamp").ToUniversalTime();
// Deserialize

    Given that DateTime.ToUniversalTime() is a noop if the Kind property is
already set to Utc, this would give the correct result if both sides have the
new version, and the following result (ignoring .NET 1.x which didn’t have a
Kind property) for mixed versions:

    1.       Old client and new server

    Old client serializes as local time; New server converts this to UTC based
on the server’s timezone.  Result unchanged as long as client and server
timezones are the same.

    2.       New client and old server

    New client serializes as UTC.  Old server will have a UTC time in the
TimeStamp, and will probably interpret it as local time.

---
with INFRA.
---