Steve Mynott [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth:
*>I just installed my own totally separate version of Perl 5.6 in
*>/usr/local, used that and have had no problems to date, although its
*>best to explicitly state '/usr/local/bin/perl' to prevent confusion
*>and have that first in your PATH.
*>
*>I don't think Sun's Perl is actually broken [1] other than being old but
*>the CPAN stuff is setup to use Sun's Workshop CC rather than GCC and
*>you have to hack /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/Config.pm if you want
*>to use CPAN.

Sun's Perl is not broken. At least, no more than Perl itself. If you use
Sun's Perl, you must very predictibly need a copy of FORTE C/C++
workshop. If you do not, leave it be and install your own. I don't
recommend tinkering with OEM software.

*>There was a similar problem with some of the compiler options in a
*>system file for either imake or xmkmf which you have to fix to get
*>xsnow to run (this was last month when I was feeling all seasonal).

That's because Suns xmkmf is in /usr/dt or /usr/openwin and if you don't
have CC, again, this will fail. You need X11 and your own xmkmf to make it
use gcc.

*>Sun recommend leaving their version of perl installed because it is
*>used by kstat(1) and I suspect installs are likely to start using it.

kstat is way cool, leave the OEM Perl alone :)

*>BTW does any know why Sun refer to cpu0 and cpu2 and not 0 and 1?  Is
*>it a marketing thing so the number 2 appears as an obvious second
*>processor or is there a real reason?

Yes, get out the manual for your box. Depending on the model, it is the
slot that it is in. use 'psrinfo -v' and 'prtconf' should give you a bit
more of an idea. On a 2-way 220R, they are cpu0 and cpu2 but on a 2-way
440R they are cpu1 and cpu2. It really depends on the board. On the
latter, slot4 is cpu1... on a 2-way E450, 1 and 3, on an E250, 0 and 1.

I actaully possess a field manual that I shouldn't technically have that
also explains some of  the 'logic' behind this.

*>[1] Although it's a pity they haven't put any POD docs in the
*>Sun::Solaris stuff

You might mention this to Alan though I think Sun prefers man pages.

e.