I'd agree with this. We buy large amounts of Sun kit.

Although I don't make these decisions my take on why is:
- Even though you can automate sysadmin tasks, generally more boxes mean
more sysadmin effort. Given our compute requirements we would need very
large numbers of PCs to replace our sun machines (we buy large numbers of
E45ks).
- Space. Machine room space with appropriate aircon and power systems costs
money. Fewer but more powerful machines make sense. [yes you could go rack
mount PC, but then you'd be tying yourselves to a smaller set of
manufacturers which means you'll be paying more than you would for generic
boxes]
- Reliablity. Outages can cost us serious amounts of money & reputation.
Although Suns aren't the most reliable machines in the world, they are much
more reliable than generic PCs (and parts are hot-swappable). They are also
suitable for setting up with off-site failover to secondary machines.
- Scalablity. nproc>2 is expensive for PCs. We run large database servers
that work better on multiprocessor machines (for instance 10 processor 8GB].
- Standardisation. Buying kit from one manufacturer simplifies hardware
maintenance and upgrades

So for us it makes sense. For other people where you don't have the above
constraints it's probably not worth the extra.

-- Harry