On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:40:26AM +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
> I guess the problem is that you could create an archive of CGI programs
> written by the best Perl programmers in the world but people would _still_
> find Matt's scripts first.

> There's a marketing battle that needs to be fought first. We need, somehow,
> to ensure that newbie CGI programmers read criticisms of Matt's scripts
> _before_ they find Matt's Script Archive. And I don't know how you're going
> to undo five years of misinformation and achieve that.

I disagree with the marketing battle first, if all we can offer is "That's
bad stuff" with no alternatives then Matts stuff is going to be used by
people who need a tool but can't write it. A couple of the Linux groups I'm
on discuss CGI stuff like webboards every now and again and i can tell them
not to use Matts stuff but when it comes down to actually giving them
constructive advice i can't, AFAIK there's no real perl alternatives and
I've seen three people set up PHPWebboards because they can get them.

If we had secure, efficient and easy to use options then we could begin the
re-education and spreading the word but since we don't we have to admit that Matts
stuff is better than nothing.

        Dean
PS I have no intention of getting involved in the writing of an
alternative :)
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
   --- Anon