Yes it DOES work.

I run an Orinocco in an ELSA pcmcia-isa card ( about 35 quid ) on my gateway
at home. Just make sure you use the latest pcmcia stuff and run the cards in
'Ad-Hoc' mode. Theres no need for bridging either, Linux seems to happily
ferry packets from wired to wireless ( and vise versa) with justa bit of
subnetting.

mallum