From: "Jonathan Peterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Anyway, I thought all this stuff about non-standard kinds of Win32 Perl
was
> sorted out years ago. Activestate Perl is the same as anyone else's Perl,
> shurely? All the brain ache surrounding PPM and CPAN modules and XS is not
> strictly perl related is it? I mean how the hell do you install CPAN
packges
> on EPOC perl or Mac Perl or any other platform that doesn't smell of Unix?
>
> I've I'm wrong and Activestate Perl is full of unreleased modifications to
> Perl itself or the core libs I'd like to know if it...

Unfortunately there is a difference between PPM and CPAN modules, which is
why you need to check whether the module you require is in the ActiveState
repository or the Package List. If you want anything extra curricular (e.g.
Template Toolkit) you'll need nmake and hope it works under windows from
CPAN.

The good thing about PPM is that it does all the installation for you. the
bad thing is that it doesn't run any tests. Then again seeing as they've
done the job of porting the package you'd hope it was tested at their end.
At least that's what _I'm_ hoping.

Barbie.