On 18/04/2001 at 16:36 +0100, Dean wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 04:17:00PM +0100, Paul Mison wrote:
>> On MacPerl, non-XS modules install fine using Chris Nandor's CPAN-mac.
>> XS modules are, erm, tricky, and usually you wait for someone who can
>
>> deal with MPW and who needs them to do the port, although it is
>> possible to do it if you know enough Mac-oriented C programming.
>
>Whats MPW?

Macintosh Programmer's Workshop: in the full version, includes a shell
(yes, on a Mac OS before X!), C and C++ compiler, and various other
shellish things. It's free too. (Free as in beer, anyway.)

http://developer.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/

>> OS X just uses CPAN like any other *nix, more or less.
>
>Does OS X come with GNU tools like GCC and make then?

Yes, but they're not installed by default. (I can't remember if the
'BSD subsystem' is installed by default either though.) It comes on a
seperate CD within the OS X shrinkwrap box- you also get OS 9 and OS X
base install.

You also get ProjectBuilder IDE.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/projectbuilder/

--
:: paul
:: fairly clueless with Windows these days